Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Impact Resistant Windows

I am located in FL and my husband and I are thinking about trying to
replace the windows we have now with the new impact resistant windows.
The old ones are leaking air ... I think. I've found mold spots on the
glass and sill. Caulking helped but didn't stop the problem.

Question is - the house was built in 1983 and the styles have changed
since then. Will we be able to find windows close enough in size to
just replace these or do we have to change styles and fill in with wood
and stucco. This is going to be an expensive project because the code
has changed since Andrew... so for now we are just "thinking about it".
Would like to know ballpark figures .. can't find much online at the
stores web site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Besides all the good advice you'll get from this group, may I suggest
looking around to see who has had some work done lately and getting the
names of at least 3 contractors that folks like? Since you mentioned
"style changes" twice in your post, it might be best to have someone
look directly at your project and let you know not only what types of
windows are available, but what else would be involved in replacing
them in *your* home, with the goal of making them fit the style as
close as possible. I'm guessing your "ballpark figures" will end up
more accurate if you go this route.

Dottie wrote:
I am located in FL and my husband and I are thinking about trying to
replace the windows we have now with the new impact resistant windows.
The old ones are leaking air ... I think. I've found mold spots on the
glass and sill. Caulking helped but didn't stop the problem.

Question is - the house was built in 1983 and the styles have changed
since then. Will we be able to find windows close enough in size to
just replace these or do we have to change styles and fill in with wood
and stucco. This is going to be an expensive project because the code
has changed since Andrew... so for now we are just "thinking about it".
Would like to know ballpark figures .. can't find much online at the
stores web site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message
ups.com...

I am located in FL and my husband and I are thinking about trying to
replace the windows we have now with the new impact resistant windows.
Question is - the house was built in 1983 and the styles have changed
since then. Will we be able to find windows close enough in size to
just replace these or do we have to change styles and fill in with wood
and stucco.

Only a local window supplier or contractor can advise you.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs