m Ransley

Kill the mold first with bleach and clean before you caulk. Mold grows
where conditions are right, no caulk can cure that. Use bleach when mold
starts, not when it is to late and caulk is ruined

Default Mildew resistant caulk

I am looking for suggestions about brand/type of caulk
to maximize mildew resistance.

The question arises because the last time I caulked my
shower, I used a siliconized acrylic "bath and shower"
caulk, with a mildew resisting additive. However, despite
wiping down the area after showering, it has experienced
terrible mildewing problems. I am going to remove it
and replace with some new caulk. If the pure silicone
caulks are better as regards mildew, I would use one
of them, even though they are much harder to work with than
the acrylics ("latex"). However, if someone can recommend
a latex caulk brand with good mildew resistance, I'd
be very interested.

Thanks,
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=
Mike Lacy, Ft Collins CO 80523
Jmagerl

I agree with killing the mold first. Google previous threads about doing it
right. My experience is that GE silicone I is the only caulk that resists
mildew. GOing on 3 years now. GE silicone II lasted 1 year. Siliconized
Acrylic lasted 4 months.

If you have grout, make sure you seal it as a last step. Otherwise water
will get back behind the caulk to start the mildew all over again.

m Ransley wrote:
Kill the mold first with bleach and clean before you caulk. Mold grows
where conditions are right, no caulk can cure that. Use bleach when mold
starts, not when it is to late and caulk is ruined

I rigorously observed these procedures when I last caulked, which was after
a completely new installation of the tub wall. So, the only variable
left to me is the brand/type of caulk.

Regards,
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=
Mike Lacy, Ft Collins CO 80523
Clean out the 'junk' to email me.

m Ransley

Im sure caulks do vary, but try keeping a spray bottle with a 50-50
mixture of bleach in the bathroom, spray at the first sign of mold, once
it starts to grow it destroys the bonding of many products even tile
grout. Ive seen bathroom tile enclosures ruined , making replacing
tile mandatory because tennants did not take this simple step.

Abe

I rigorously observed these procedures when I last caulked, which was after
a completely new installation of the tub wall. So, the only variable
left to me is the brand/type of caulk.

Regards,

You're not the only one in this boat. The claims of mildew resistance,
in my experience, is wishful thinking on the Mfg.'s part.

What I know do is I keep a spray bottle of 10:1 bleach (10 oz water to
1 oz bleach) by the tub. After I get out, a give a couple of quick
mists around the caulk lines. Been good for 2 years now.