Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost for impact windows?

Too many hurricanes lately!
Been thinking about having impact glass windows installed, but don't
want to sit through an endless parade of window peddlers until I
establish pricing and other criteria.

Any suggestions as to price and what to ask for or look for in an
impact window?
How about a good online source. Seems like every search I do takes me
to "Sears sign up for an estimate" page.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryL

wrote in message
oups.com...
Too many hurricanes lately!
Been thinking about having impact glass windows installed, but don't
want to sit through an endless parade of window peddlers until I
establish pricing and other criteria.

Any suggestions as to price and what to ask for or look for in an
impact window?
How about a good online source. Seems like every search I do takes me
to "Sears sign up for an estimate" page.

I was looking to go that route but the more I thought about it, the less I
liked the idea. True you don't have to put the shutters up but what if
something flies into the window. True it won't penetrate but it will smash
the window to smithereens. How much will that replacement glass cost you?

Posted to alt.home.repair
webmz

1) Sears is over priced & waste alot of time on an estimate.

I read a helpful article online at :
http://www.bobvila.com/ArticleLibrar...ntWindows.html

(as an example, I wasn't aware that you had to change the window frames
too; i.e you can't just install impact resistant glass in window
frames.. stuff like that) I also pasted a paragraph below.

I wouldn't recommend impact resistant window film.
( if you're going to do it, get impact resistant windows/glass)

I went to Miami dade County's web site & they had a search function
that lets you select an item (windows) & building materials- I chose
impact resistance, and it pulls up a list of building code compliant
companies that installed impact resistant glass.
Maybe your city has a similar online function ?

Dave Olmstead, spokesman for PGT Industries in Venice, Florida, agrees
that no matter how strong a window is the attachment to the building
structure is critical. Olmstead says a window that is 53-inches by
76-inches would have 28 square feet of exposure, and with a wind speed
of 146 mph from a category 4 hurricane would result in a load on the
window equivalent to 1,958 pounds of pressure. For the window to
perform correctly, the load has to be transferred to the building
itself, which is done by using suitable anchors to transfer the load
from the window or door frame to the rough opening without causing
failure.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
Too many hurricanes lately!
Been thinking about having impact glass windows installed, but don't
want to sit through an endless parade of window peddlers until I
establish pricing and other criteria.

Any suggestions as to price and what to ask for or look for in an
impact window?
How about a good online source. Seems like every search I do takes me
to "Sears sign up for an estimate" page.

Roll a shield. Metal screen that covers the whole window. Can be
electrically raised and lowered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

webmz wrote:
1) Sears is over priced & waste alot of time on an estimate.
I read a helpful article online at :

http://www.bobvila.com/ArticleLibrar...ntWindows.html

Very good reading. Funny thing though, a Big Ass Sears ad popped up in
the page. Can't get away from them.

I realize I need to replace the frame too, but haven't been able find
any prices on the web. If it's too expensive, I'll just stick with
plywood shutters. If it's in the area of $500 per window, (with me
installing) I may consider it.

Thanks!