Default upgrading OMAX software

Hi
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to upgrade the OMAX DOS software
or changing it to Windows version on the same computer? We have a
500Mhz computer so I think it should be possible to run WinXP on it.
Would it be possible to simply change the harddisk and install Windows
and additionaly OMAX software?

Thanks

Henri

Bob May

I guess that you feel that the software is running too fast on that
computer? Odd to think that way but I guess that some people prefer to get
a cup of coffee between operations.
I'd stay away from windoz when running a good DOS program as the way that
windoz of any variety runs tends to slow a computer way down when dealing
with anything to do with the outside world of the processor. Math and
logical work isn't affected by windoz but unless there is a lot of that, you
will note a real slowdown of the program from the DOS version.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

The problem is that we have a lot of problems with floppy disk drive
because of the environment we work in. That is why I would like to
upgrade to windows in order to connect to network or use USB.

Bob May

Will the software go to a hard disk and run? Some pieces of software have
had stupid tricks applied to insure that the software isn't pirated and they
require that the software be run with the original disks in the floppy
drive. If so, you are right in that the only thing you can do is find a
later version that will run on a hard disk.
The unfortunate thing is that windoz XP doesn't support DOS correctly
anymore so you will have to find DOS 6.22 and install it on a HD.
FWIW, I've got several smaller HDs that will be much more than needed for a
DOS program and will run well in a faster machine.
I'll also note that a floppy disk drive is still a nice thing to have to get
stuff on and off of a computer. On the other hand, even windoz for
workgroups will do an excellent job of working with an ethernet connection.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Bob May wrote:
Will the software go to a hard disk and run? Some pieces of software have
had stupid tricks applied to insure that the software isn't pirated and they
require that the software be run with the original disks in the floppy
drive. If so, you are right in that the only thing you can do is find a
later version that will run on a hard disk.
The unfortunate thing is that windoz XP doesn't support DOS correctly
anymore so you will have to find DOS 6.22 and install it on a HD.
FWIW, I've got several smaller HDs that will be much more than needed for a
DOS program and will run well in a faster machine.
I'll also note that a floppy disk drive is still a nice thing to have to get
stuff on and off of a computer. On the other hand, even windoz for
workgroups will do an excellent job of working with an ethernet connection.

Though you may have to download drivers for TCP/IP, IIRC.

And Win for WG (Windows 3.11) came with MS-DOS 6.22 as the
starting layer -- then you had to type "WIN" to start Windows -- except
on my system, where you could just as well type "LOSE". (I didn't like
the subliminal part of Microsoft's naming -- I was already running
various flavors of unix at home. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Bob May

I;m running 98 and the startup sound is an old ford trying to start and
finally failing. Closing sound is a Chevy firing up like they do in a very
short sequence.
LOSE is a nice name for the win.com file!
Yes, you do need to find the drivers for the Ethernet cards but the WFW will
connect to 95 or 98.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Bob May wrote:
I;m running 98 and the startup sound is an old ford trying to start and
finally failing. Closing sound is a Chevy firing up like they do in a very
short sequence.
LOSE is a nice name for the win.com file!

Thanks.

Yes, you do need to find the drivers for the Ethernet cards but the WFW will
connect to 95 or 98.

Not just the drivers -- you also need to pick up the TCP/IP
software, if you want to connect to anything other than other Windows
boxen. I have experienced this, because, even back in the Win for WG
3.11 days, I was mostly running unix boxen, and needed to talk to those,
too. Back then at least, Microsoft was using exclusively its own
networking protocol over ethernet -- I think that it was called
something like "NET BUI" (still supported in later Windows, but they
added real TCP/IP support as well, which is what I use.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Carl

Henri,

The answer is yes and no.

There are basically two options available to you:

#1 - Stick with DOS, and your DOS version of OMAX software

....or...

#2 - Buy the necessary hardware and software to upgrade to the Windows
version of OMAX software.

#3 - Use Windows 3.1

Let me explain these in more detail, and offer some hints:

Option #1: Stick with DOS:

If you intend to run the DOS software, then the computer you have is
going to be a good choice, and it is also a good idea to keep running
pure Microsoft DOS, and DO NOT install Windows. The reason for this is
that the DOS software relies on the fact that DOS allows the OMAX
software to take 100% control over the PC in order to do precision
timing of the motor motions. If you run the DOS software under
Windows, then Windows will constantly keep interrupting, which causes
the tool path to execute in a very rough manner, as it moves along at
100 inches per minute, then suddenly with infinite deceleration goes to
0 IPM while Windows does something, then infinitely accelerates back to
100 when Windows finishes.

You can, however, install networking stuff, but you must do so with
caution. I have some documents on networking a DOS OMAX machine that
explains the cautions in some detail. However, the amount of work it
is to network a DOS machine, and not interfere with normal operation of
the OMAX may make it not worth the effort. In addition, it takes
finding a network person who is familiar with DOS, and anyone who does
networking for a living that started way back in the DOS days is
probably a high dollar networking person by now!

One danger to consider with sticking with DOS is that if your computer
fails, you may not be able to find a replacement computer very easily.
There are some hardware requirements for running the DOS OMAX software
that are simply no longer becoming available on newer computers. You
are probably ok for a while, but just be warned.

Option #2: Upgrade hardware and Software to Windows:

Because of the precision timing issues previously mentioned, the
Windows version of OMAX software requires additional hardware to
off-load the timing from the PC. This hardware is also used to prevent
problems such as Windows crashing causing a ruined part. This allows
Windows to freeze for moments without interfering with the tool paths,
and if Windows freezes completely, the machine can come to a normal
"paused" condition, ready for a re-boot and easy recovery.
Unfortunately, this extra hardware costs money. In addition, the PC
power requirements for running the Windows software are significantly
higher than what is required for DOS, so your 500Mhz computer would be
just barely on the edge.

However, OMAX does sell a Windows upgrade kit. This kit is
approximately $5000. I am not 100% sure what all it contains, but I
know it contains a new (and fairly hot) Dell computer, a special
controller card for doing the precision timing stuff previously
mentioned, the latest OMAX software, a "pause" switch to install on
your controller, and free software upgrades for the rest of the life of
your machine. I believe it also includes free technical support. I
don't know if it includes installation and training, though.

Installation is:

#1 - Remove old PC
#2 - Drill hole in controller for "pause" switch
#3 - Install new PC
#4 - Plug new timing card into USB of PC, and plug all existing
cables into the timing card.

Also, if you bought your machine used (which I am assuming you did
since you posted this question to the Internet), then there might be an
additional "transfer fee" involved to get full support from OMAX (but
that would also give you hardware support.)

There are pretty big advantages to the Windows upgrade over the DOS.
Here are a few of them:

- You can do huge tool paths of great complexity
- On the same speed computer, calculations are about 10-20 times faster
(and add to that the fact that you would be getting a 3+ Ghz computer,
the calculations come out to be maybe 100x faster.)
- The cutting model is much improved, which means faster cutting (about
30% on average, but for some parts even up to 200% faster), and
slightly improved precision. There are also improvements in areas such
as piercing.
- Because it's running under Windows (XP), you get all the features you
would expect from Windows including reasonably easy networking, USB 2.0
support, CD burning, DVD drive, high resolution graphics, sound card
(though you would need to wire in your own speakers, since you would be
upgrading an old machine that does not have the speakers built in.)
multi-tasking so you can program your next part while cutting another,
remote monitoring of the machine over the network, massive amounts of
memory, ability to run the wide variety of Windows software out there,
etc.
- Support for hardware not available in DOS, such as the Precision
Optical Locator (video camera), Drill pierce accessory, Tilt-a-jet (for
taper removal), motorized z axis for contour cutting or "heads up
traverse", etc.
- Lots of new features in the software such as array nesting, "go to
spot on path", multiple home locations, better previewing tools,
super-accurate estimated times,

(You might also want to consider buying a 1Gb usb 2.0 "memory
stick" to store you're your files on.)

Option #3:

On many DOS OMAX machines, Windows 3.1 is installed. Just type
"win" from the DOS prompt to run it. You may find that helpful,
but most likely just a pain.

Hope this helps. If you need any details, please feel free to email me
at . I am a software engineer at OMAX. (You can
post back to this group also, but it likely I won't see it.)

See also:

http://www.omax.com/software_specs.html
http://www.omax.com/intelli_max.html

Carl.