Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Lightbulb popped, now won't work

I got a drop of cold tap water on a hot bulb over the bathroom sink (25 watt
globe) and it popped.
I replaced the bulb, and now that one bulb doesn't work. I tried another
bulb, it isn't the bulb. There are three others on that strip over the
mirror that work fine still.
Is this something I'd need a professional for, or something we can do
ourselves?
My husband is handy around the house, but he doesn't know what could be
causing it to not work.
Any advice appreciated.
Chaviva

Posted to misc.consumers.house
mc mc is offline

"Chaviva" wrote in message
I got a drop of cold tap water on a hot bulb over the bathroom sink (25
watt globe) and it popped.
I replaced the bulb, and now that one bulb doesn't work. I tried another
bulb, it isn't the bulb. There are three others on that strip over the
mirror that work fine still.
Is this something I'd need a professional for, or something we can do
ourselves?
My husband is handy around the house, but he doesn't know what could be
causing it to not work.
Any advice appreciated.
Chaviva

You say "that one bulb doesn't work" but I think you mean "any bulb in that
socket doesn't work."

With the power to that light turned off at the circuit breaker box, try
cleaning the contacts in the socket (where the bulb screws in and makes
contact). Use sandpaper.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"mc" wrote in message
.. .

"Chaviva" wrote in message
I got a drop of cold tap water on a hot bulb over the bathroom sink (25
watt globe) and it popped.
I replaced the bulb, and now that one bulb doesn't work. I tried another
bulb, it isn't the bulb. There are three others on that strip over the
mirror that work fine still.
Is this something I'd need a professional for, or something we can do
ourselves?
My husband is handy around the house, but he doesn't know what could be
causing it to not work.
Any advice appreciated.
Chaviva

You say "that one bulb doesn't work" but I think you mean "any bulb in
that socket doesn't work."

With the power to that light turned off at the circuit breaker box, try
cleaning the contacts in the socket (where the bulb screws in and makes
contact). Use sandpaper.

Yes, thank you.. that is what I meant. I didn't know what the thing was
called that you put the bulb into!
I'll tell him and we'll try that, thank you,
Chaviva

Posted to misc.consumers.house
WDS WDS is offline

On Apr 19, 10:15 pm, "Chaviva" wrote:
"mc" wrote in message

.. .

"Chaviva" wrote in message
[...]

TURN THE POWER OFF IF YOU DO THIS!!! Not just via the switch, but at
the circuit breaker.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Chaviva" wrote in message
I got a drop of cold tap water on a hot bulb over the bathroom sink (25
watt globe) and it popped.
I replaced the bulb, and now that one bulb doesn't work. I tried another
bulb, it isn't the bulb. There are three others on that strip over the
mirror that work fine still.
Is this something I'd need a professional for, or something we can do
ourselves?
My husband is handy around the house, but he doesn't know what could be
causing it to not work.
Any advice appreciated.

If the sandpaper doesn't work, AND your husband is comfortable doing
this open up the fixture and check the internal connections. Each
socket has 2 wires connecting to the hot and neutral coming into the
fixture and its likely that one of these connections is loose.

CAUTION: Unless he knows EXACTLY what he is doing, open the fixture and
work inside only with the circut breaker feeding the fixture OFF.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L

Posted to misc.consumers.house
mc mc is offline

With the power to that light turned off at the circuit breaker box, try
cleaning the contacts in the socket (where the bulb screws in and makes
contact). Use sandpaper.

Yes, thank you.. that is what I meant. I didn't know what the thing was
called that you put the bulb into!
I'll tell him and we'll try that, thank you,

TURN THE POWER OFF IF YOU DO THIS!!! Not just via the switch, but at
the circuit breaker.

That's what I said, but it bears repeating.

Also, in general I would say that if electricity mystifies you, you should
get professional help.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Apr 20, 11:42 am, (Rich Greenberg) wrote:

CAUTION: Unless he knows EXACTLY what he is doing, open the fixture and
work inside only with the circut breaker feeding the fixture OFF.

More caution, and I hope it isn't needed:
If he knows what he is doing AT ALL, the breaker will be off and
verified off, before starting any work.
You want the bulb to glow, not him.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Retired at the beach Asst Owner:Sibernet-L

Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 20, 11:42 am, (Rich Greenberg) wrote:

CAUTION: Unless he knows EXACTLY what he is doing, open the fixture and
work inside only with the circut breaker feeding the fixture OFF.

More caution, and I hope it isn't needed:
If he knows what he is doing AT ALL, the breaker will be off and
verified off, before starting any work.
You want the bulb to glow, not him.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543
1353
Eastern time. N6LRT I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since
CP-67
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians
Owner:Chinook-L
Retired at the beach Asst
Owner:Sibernet-L

Thank you all for helping, and especially with the caution on the power. We
are both very safety conscious (we like sucking air haha) and so even tho
this is overkill (pun not intended!) I have him turn off the power to the
whole house to be on the safe side!
Yes, I know that is ridiculous, but I saw my father electocuted once for not
double checking when his brother assured him power was off. Fortunately he
wasn't seriously injured, just went from one arm to the other, as he was
holding something else, I forget what, anyway, he fell backward.
So anyway, cleaning the contact didn't work, and so John said unfortunately
like anything else, it is cheaper to replace than to call an electrician. He
knows how to replace them, but not repair one. So I get to pick out a new
strip of lights, and a new mirror, too.
It was my fault it happened. I had just washed my face, and a cat hopped up
onto the vanity, and was reaching and stretching up on the mirror. I flicked
water off my fingers at the cat, telling him to shoo.. and got a drop on the
bulb. Yikes.
Definitely learned that lesson. Fortunately we weren't hurt, but a very
small piece of the bulb flew off. We were just both scared when it happened.
So anyway, thank you all again. I love this group even though I lurk more
than I post!
Chaviva

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Apr 21, 12:40 am, "Chaviva" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I'm still curious as all get-out about why the fixture doesn't work.
Breaking a bulb shouldn't take out a fixture!
If you figure it out, please let us know.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Apr 23, 9:02 pm, wrote:
On Apr 21, 12:40 am, "Chaviva" wrote:

wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

I have replaced three 'home depot' special light fixtures, 2 indoor, 1
out that for the life of me could not figure out why they wouldn't
light up a bulb. Parts intact, clean contacts, wires spliced
correctly, noda, zip zilch. Couldn't cure it without replacing the
unit. Odd.