Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to get Road Stencils (huge white letters)?

On 7/29/16 11:08 AM, Henry Jones wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 05:24:25 -0500, Dean Hoffman wrote:

We use treated 4x4s to hold our electrical panels. I'm not
sure on the weight. They're clumsy and are all one guy can lift into
place. The posts last for years.

I like the idea of wood posts because it seems like it would look more
rustic, while still being "professional" enough to be taken seriously and
being hard enough to just remove (since I suspect our foul-mouthed bikers
wouldn't mind stooping that low).

They're probably bigger than the signs you're thinking about and would
have about the
same stress from wind and so on.

It does get windy out here. Very windy. We're on the top of a mountain.
So, I hadn't thought of that until now.

We dump bags of premix concrete into the holes and just tamp it in
using a ground
rod.

I haven't every poured concrete yet, so I appreciate that hint. I presume I
dig a 3 foot hole about a foot wide (or whatever) and then fill it with
water and then dump the concrete and hold the pole until it sets?

No water. Just dump it in dry a bit at a time and tamp it. No
need
to let it set. We set the panels immediately. Mother Nature will take
care of the rest. She gets impatient sometimes and sets the concrete in
the bags if it isn't kept in a really dry place for storage.
There are also some post setting foams. Sika is one brand. Fast2K
is another.
I've never used any so that's all I know about them.

What about SuperStrut or its equivalent?
Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/b/Superstrut/N-5yc1vZ44i
Fastenal also carries it. They're usually pretty proud of their stuff
though.

They look much better! They're only $20 for ten feet for the superstrut 12
gauge

I'm not sure if the 14-gauge $17 strut will be strong enough. I never used
a "gauge" when dealing with posts (I never dealt with posts before).

Googling, I find this chart:
https://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/s...heetmetal.html

14 gauge is 0.0747 inches thick for steel
12 gauge is 0.1046 inches thick for steel

That doesn't really tell me what gauge I need for a sign post though...

Not much help there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/29/2016 12:08 PM, Henry Jones wrote:
He's OK with a chain and maybe a thorny bush but I love the idea of poison
oak, which is something that is super plentiful in these here parts.

I know a guy that has a hidden motion-activated poison ivy mister that
sprays a urushiol concentrate on trespassers.
His property is clearly marked with No Trespassing signs yet people
ignore them or tear them down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 19:36:37 -0400, Bert wrote:

I know a guy that has a hidden motion-activated poison ivy mister that
sprays a urushiol concentrate on trespassers.
His property is clearly marked with No Trespassing signs yet people
ignore them or tear them down.

I put up a few more no trespassing signs, but I'm afraid they're all easy
to tear down.

I put about a dozen roofing nails in them though!
http://i.cubeupload.com/IhWH62.gif

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/29/2016 7:54 PM, Henry Jones wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 19:36:37 -0400, Bert wrote:

I know a guy that has a hidden motion-activated poison ivy mister that
sprays a urushiol concentrate on trespassers.
His property is clearly marked with No Trespassing signs yet people
ignore them or tear them down.

I put up a few more no trespassing signs, but I'm afraid they're all easy
to tear down.

I put about a dozen roofing nails in them though!
http://i.cubeupload.com/IhWH62.gif

Get them solid enough to bolt/screw onto the posts. Coat them with
satin poly and lay them in clear glass from broken bottles. Tough love!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/29/2016 10:08 AM, Henry Jones wrote:
I haven't every poured concrete yet, so I appreciate that hint. I presume I
dig a 3 foot hole about a foot wide (or whatever) and then fill it with
water and then dump the concrete and hold the pole until it sets?

Can you dig a 3 foot hole? The FS likes 8 foot wooden posts to have 3
feet in the ground. The joke around here is you dig as deep as you can
without the use of explosives and saw enough off so 5 feet of the post
is exposed. Not that I've ever done anything like that...

Posted to alt.home.repair

call it a hunch, the other property owners dont really care about the tresspasers..........

because there are some alternatives.

like a fence, guard rail etc at the park end that would likely discourage people driving down from the OPs end.........

why drive down a dead end more than once?

a sign at the OPs end, the other end of this private drive has been permanetely blocked at the park end

mygrandma used to get mad if anyone walked across our yard. she would talk to them about it...

i always believed more people would do it just becuse it bothered her..........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 06:27:28 -0700 (PDT), bob haller wrote:

call it a hunch, the other property owners dont really care about the tresspasers..........

because there are some alternatives.

like a fence, guard rail etc at the park end that would likely discourage people driving down from the OPs end.........

The park rangers took me for a drive yesterday to the end of their
property, and there is clearly a locked gate.

So we're in agreement that people were never allowed.
What we need to do is sign it better.

why drive down a dead end more than once?

a sign at the OPs end, the other end of this private drive has been permanetely blocked at the park end

mygrandma used to get mad if anyone walked across our yard. she would talk to them about it...

i always believed more people would do it just becuse it bothered her..........

It's blocked at both ends of the trail.
We can't easily block the road (as per aforementioned post office boxes &
thousands of dollars of expense for the gate).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 21:17:32 -0600, rbowman wrote:

Can you dig a 3 foot hole? The FS likes 8 foot wooden posts to have 3
feet in the ground. The joke around here is you dig as deep as you can
without the use of explosives and saw enough off so 5 feet of the post
is exposed. Not that I've ever done anything like that...

This is all Fransciscian sediments. No granite whatsoever. No rocks.
Just hard clay. Digging 3 feet "should" be possible, but backbreaking.

I'm gonna see if I can rent or borrow a hole digger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/30/2016 09:51 AM, Henry Jones wrote:
I'm gonna see if I can rent or borrow a hole digger.

A power auger mounted on a tractor helps a lot. Even that isn't
foolproof as we found out when trying to plant trees at the local rifle
range. I don't think the kind that are sort of mini pile drivers have
enough stroke. They're great for driving metal fence posts but the posts
are only 6 to 8 feet or so. Beats the hell out of

https://www.amazon.com/901147A-Steel.../dp/B000A1AB7G

although long term use of one of those will give you pecs and triceps
like Schwarzenegger.

Be happy you're dealing with bicyclists. When I was with the FS I went
out checking gates before hunting season. A lot of the gates are locked
then to level the hunting field. Someone took exception to one of them.
It was a standard Powder River gate. The posts were 3" steel pipe set in
buried 55 gallon drums filled with concrete. I don't think a Warn winch
could have done the job. They must have used a log chain and got a
running start. The gate was bent into a V shape and the drums were half
out of the ground. They didn't get through though.

Must have been kids with too much beer. Real men would have thrown the
portable oxy rig in the pickup for those little annoyances.

Then there's the signs... They make great 100 yard targets for sighting
in...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Henry Jones posted for all of us...

It's most certainly a private road, but, the police were called by a biker

Yeah, Harry we got all this the first time you posted it.

Spend some time and order the signs and move on to the next crisis.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 9:27:31 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
call it a hunch, the other property owners dont really care about the tresspasers..........

because there are some alternatives.

like a fence, guard rail etc at the park end that would likely discourage people driving down from the OPs end.........

why drive down a dead end more than once?

Perhaps because the view at the end is spectacular?
Perhaps because the view along the way is spectacular?

We've got lots of dead ends in my area. Some dead end at one of our Great
Lakes. Some border beautiful parks where you can see sit and watch
the wildlife play.

Granted, these aren't private (well, not all of them) but to answer your
general question:

There are many reasons to drive down a dead end more than once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

On Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 9:27:31 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
call it a hunch, the other property owners dont really care about the tresspasers..........

because there are some alternatives.

like a fence, guard rail etc at the park end that would likely discourage people driving down from the OPs end.........

why drive down a dead end more than once?

Perhaps because the view at the end is spectacular?
Perhaps because the view along the way is spectacular?

We've got lots of dead ends in my area. Some dead end at one of our Great
Lakes. Some border beautiful parks where you can see sit and watch
the wildlife play.

Granted, these aren't private (well, not all of them) but to answer your
general question:

There are many reasons to drive down a dead end more than once.

I like them to take a leak. Not in a populated area...

--
Tekkie