Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Coleman lantern

I jes snagged a used Coleman lantern. It's like new, dual mantles,
and with a doz unused mantles, so I went ahead and bought it for a
measly $5.

What I'd like to know, will unleaded gas work in this thing?

I grew up with Coleman stuff (lanterns, stoves, etc), so wonder if
these newer lanterns will work with unleaded gas. They usta work jes
fine with "white" gas, but Coleman decided to get into the fuel biz
and now Coleman insists that Coleman Fuel is the only fuel that will
work in them. Being such an old geezer, I'm skeptical.

That weird stuff called "white gas" usta be sold in most filling
stations. Then we got Amoco, which didn't even sell leaded gas. Not
a problem, as everyone sed "white gas" is merely unleaded gas. It's
all we used fer yrs.

What's the real deal?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-01 5:28 PM, notbob wrote:
I jes snagged a used Coleman lantern. It's like new, dual mantles,
and with a doz unused mantles, so I went ahead and bought it for a
measly $5.

What I'd like to know, will unleaded gas work in this thing?

I grew up with Coleman stuff (lanterns, stoves, etc), so wonder if
these newer lanterns will work with unleaded gas. They usta work jes
fine with "white" gas, but Coleman decided to get into the fuel biz
and now Coleman insists that Coleman Fuel is the only fuel that will
work in them. Being such an old geezer, I'm skeptical.

That weird stuff called "white gas" usta be sold in most filling
stations. Then we got Amoco, which didn't even sell leaded gas. Not
a problem, as everyone sed "white gas" is merely unleaded gas. It's
all we used fer yrs.

What's the real deal?

Good question, wish I had an answer, I have always used Coleman fuel in
both my Coleman Stove and lantern. That said a can of Coleman fuel is
not that expansive and I can easily get a week or more use out of it for
cooking and light when needed.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Apr 2016 21:28:23 GMT, notbob wrote:

What's the real deal?

What the manual recommends? You could try moonshine for fuel...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-01 5:28 PM, notbob wrote:
I jes snagged a used Coleman lantern. It's like new, dual mantles,
and with a doz unused mantles, so I went ahead and bought it for a
measly $5.

Good question, wish I had an answer, I have always used Coleman fuel in
both my Coleman Stove and lantern. That said a can of Coleman fuel is not
that expansive and I can easily get a week or more use out of it for
cooking and light when needed.

I don't have an answer either,but seems the Coleman fuel is very stable. I
have a single burner heating element that the fuel has been in it over 10
years and it still lights and seems to burn ok.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 2016-04-01 5:28 PM, notbob wrote:
[...]

A can of Coleman fuel at most places is $14.00. Sometimes Walmart has camp fuel for a little over $7.00 dollars. I bought three cans of camp fuel the last time I was there. Walmart doesn't always have the camp fuel, so when a can of Colman fuel gets about half full, and I don't want to spend $14.00, I will fill the can the rest of the way with unleaded and it works great.

Unleaded gas alone is not recommended and the light isn't as good in a lantern. It has to many impurities. After going back to Coleman fuel, it takes a couple of weeks of running on the cleaner fuel to get it where it works as good as it should.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 2016-04-01 5:28 PM, notbob wrote:
[...]

$14 isn't a deal breaker, for a stove or lantern or both, unless you are
up all night and cooking it works out to a buck a day, maybe two.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 2016-04-01 5:28 PM, notbob wrote:
[...]

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/cole.../0000000224842

On sale for $10 at times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Unleaded gas will work - for a while. Not recommended except on the
specially designed "dual fuel" coleman devices.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 18:43:10 -0400, FrozenNorth

wrote:
On 2016-04-01 5:28 PM, notbob wrote:
[...]

My bet is you could run it on E-10 until the lights came back on, no
sweat but if you are storing fuel, get the Coleman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Apr 2016 21:28:23 GMT, notbob wrote in

What I'd like to know, will unleaded gas work in this thing?

I've been using unleaded gas in mine for 15 years; although I don't
use it very often (several hours a year).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2016 2:28 PM, notbob wrote:
I jes snagged a used Coleman lantern. It's like new, dual mantles,
and with a doz unused mantles, so I went ahead and bought it for a
measly $5.

What I'd like to know, will unleaded gas work in this thing?

Are you planning a boy scout camp out with the scoutmaster?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-02, CRNG wrote:

I've been using unleaded gas in mine for 15 years; although I don't
use it very often (several hours a year).

Thnx, CRNG. That's prolly all I'll use mine.

Turns out the "white gas" I remember is gasoline without any
additives. Hard to find, these days, yet Coleman Fuel is now an
outrageous $15 gal! Usta be less than $5 fer a gal can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleman_fuel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gas

A local gas station, hereabouts, advertises non-ethynol gasoline. At
$3 gal, I'll give it a shot. What am I gonna do? Mess up a $5
lantern I didn't need, anyway?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 5:28:29 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
I jes snagged a used Coleman lantern. It's like new, dual mantles,
and with a doz unused mantles, so I went ahead and bought it for a
measly $5.

What I'd like to know, will unleaded gas work in this thing?

I grew up with Coleman stuff (lanterns, stoves, etc), so wonder if
these newer lanterns will work with unleaded gas. They usta work jes
fine with "white" gas, but Coleman decided to get into the fuel biz
and now Coleman insists that Coleman Fuel is the only fuel that will
work in them. Being such an old geezer, I'm skeptical.

That weird stuff called "white gas" usta be sold in most filling
stations. Then we got Amoco, which didn't even sell leaded gas. Not
a problem, as everyone sed "white gas" is merely unleaded gas. It's
all we used fer yrs.

What's the real deal?

nb

I've always thought that white gas was kerosene. I think gasoline is to volatile and might be dangerous to use in a lantern.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-02, RonNNN wrote:

In article ,
says...

I've always thought that white gas was kerosene. I think gasoline
is to volatile and might be dangerous to use in a lantern.

Actually I think it's Naphtha.

Apparently, it's both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gas

The "Coleman fuel" link sez it has an octane rating of "50 to 55".
Most states set a min limit of 80 octane fer regular gas. Even
Walmart only sells the Coleman stuff fer $7.50/32ozs. And here I
thought kerosene had become obscenely expensive.

I don't think 25/30 more "octane" points is gonna make much difference
to a lantern. The Coleman Fuel wiki link warns against using CF in
cars, but does not really raise any flags on using gasoline fer
lantern fuel.

Coleman even offers a "duel fuel" (CF, gasoline) lantern for an
astonishing $90! Damned if it don't look exactly like my used Coleman
lantern.

http://www.coleman.com/fueled-lanterns/premium-dual-fuel-lantern/3000000923.html

Well, mine's green, but otherwise. I think Coleman's lanterns will
work jes fine on gasoline, but lookit all the $$$$ they'll lose if you
do, so they charge up the ying-yang for their "duel fuel" version.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 11:21:26 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

[...]

White gas is most definitely NOT Kerosine. It is what is also sold as
Naptha Gas. VERY volatile compared to Kero
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

On 2016-04-02, RonNNN wrote:

In article ,
says...

I've always thought that white gas was kerosene. I think gasoline
is to volatile and might be dangerous to use in a lantern.

Actually I think it's Naphtha.

Apparently, it's both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gas

From your posted link:

"White gas should not be confused with white spirit, which is more akin
to kerosene."

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel314" wrote in message

I've always thought that white gas was kerosene. I think gasoline is to
volatile and might be dangerous to use in a lantern.

What was called white gas about 50 years and sold by AMCO (think that is the
company) was a 'high test' gas. It was not red colored like the 'regular'
gas they also sold. Most other gas for cars was also red or orange colored.

Seems like gas for cars was called either regular, or high test which
sometimes was called something like ethol. Not sure of the exect spelling of
that. They had 2 pumps, one for each type.

That was back in the days when most stations sold either regular or high
test . I burnt a lot of the AMCO white gas in a 1968 dodge dart with the
hrgh performace 340 cu in engines in it. It was tuned up by some dodge
mechanics for me and it would only bury the white gas or the Sunco 360.
Everything would spark knock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 16:08:00 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Pavel314" wrote in message

I've always thought that white gas was kerosene. I think gasoline is to
volatile and might be dangerous to use in a lantern.

What was called white gas about 50 years and sold by AMCO (think that is the
company) was a 'high test' gas. It was not red colored like the 'regular'
gas they also sold. Most other gas for cars was also red or orange colored.

Seems like gas for cars was called either regular, or high test which
sometimes was called something like ethol. Not sure of the exect spelling of
that. They had 2 pumps, one for each type.

It was Ethyl

That was back in the days when most stations sold either regular or high
test . I burnt a lot of the AMCO white gas in a 1968 dodge dart with the
hrgh performace 340 cu in engines in it. It was tuned up by some dodge
mechanics for me and it would only bury the white gas or the Sunco 360.
Everything would spark knock.

Sunoco 260. They never made a 360.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/2/2016 2:21 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I've always thought that white gas was kerosene. I think gasoline is to volatile and might be dangerous to use in a lantern.

Paul

There are wick type lanterns, which do use kerosene
or ultra pure.

The other kind has a generator, and bag style mantles.
And, those take Coleman, white gas, and some take
unleaded. Some of the older ones, unleaded clogs the
generator. So, I've read. I can't explain it any
more than that.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

"Pavel314" wrote in message

I've always thought that white gas was kerosene. I think gasoline is to
volatile and might be dangerous to use in a lantern.

What was called white gas about 50 years and sold by AMCO (think that is the
company) was a 'high test' gas. It was not red colored like the 'regular'
gas they also sold. Most other gas for cars was also red or orange colored.

Seems like gas for cars was called either regular, or high test which
sometimes was called something like ethol. Not sure of the exect spelling of
that. They had 2 pumps, one for each type.

That was back in the days when most stations sold either regular or high
test . I burnt a lot of the AMCO white gas in a 1968 dodge dart with the
hrgh performace 340 cu in engines in it. It was tuned up by some dodge
mechanics for me and it would only bury the white gas or the Sunco 360.
Everything would spark knock.

The Coleman fuel or camp fuel from Walmart, is definitely NOT high
octane. Because the Amoco white gas was touted as high octane, I
decided to use some camp fuel in my generator. BAD IDEA!

The generator started OK, but then began jumping around on the ground.
Apparently the "octane" in high octane serves to slow down combustion.
Low octane fuel tends to explode rather than burn. I have since read
about chunks of spark plug ceramic being broken off by the explosions,
and scoring cylinders. I was lucky my generator was not damaged.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/01/2016 04:28 PM, notbob wrote:
I jes snagged a used Coleman lantern. It's like new, dual mantles,
and with a doz unused mantles, so I went ahead and bought it for a
measly $5.

What I'd like to know, will unleaded gas work in this thing?

I grew up with Coleman stuff (lanterns, stoves, etc), so wonder if
these newer lanterns will work with unleaded gas. They usta work jes
fine with "white" gas, but Coleman decided to get into the fuel biz
and now Coleman insists that Coleman Fuel is the only fuel that will
work in them. Being such an old geezer, I'm skeptical.

That weird stuff called "white gas" usta be sold in most filling
stations. Then we got Amoco, which didn't even sell leaded gas. Not
a problem, as everyone sed "white gas" is merely unleaded gas. It's
all we used fer yrs.

What's the real deal?

nb

Get a BriteLyt/Petromax USA 500CP/XL Pressure Lantern and then burn most any fuel though I prefer kerosene in mine.

http://www.amazon.com/BriteLyt-Petro.../dp/B00X87TO3G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-03, rbowman wrote:

If yuo don't like Coleman fuel you can buy naptha at a hardware store.
Last time I looked it was about the same price per gallon.

What? $14 gal? That's up there with bottled water.

Naptha. Remember Ronson lighter fluid? The juice ya' overfilled yer
Zippo with and it leaked and burned yer lag? That's one version of
naptha. It's about $16/gal in 8oz cans.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message

The Coleman fuel or camp fuel from Walmart, is definitely NOT high
octane. Because the Amoco white gas was touted as high octane, I
decided to use some camp fuel in my generator. BAD IDEA!

The generator started OK, but then began jumping around on the ground.
Apparently the "octane" in high octane serves to slow down combustion.
Low octane fuel tends to explode rather than burn. I have since read
about chunks of spark plug ceramic being broken off by the explosions,
and scoring cylinders. I was lucky my generator was not damaged.

The Coleman fuel that is being called 'white gas' is a totally different
item than the Amoco 'white gas' of years ago. They are not even close to
being the same thing.