Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Coleman lantern

"Pavel314" wrote in message

I've always thought that white gas was kerosene. I think gasoline is to
volatile and might be dangerous to use in a lantern.

What was called white gas about 50 years and sold by AMCO (think that is the
company) was a 'high test' gas. It was not red colored like the 'regular'
gas they also sold. Most other gas for cars was also red or orange colored.

Seems like gas for cars was called either regular, or high test which
sometimes was called something like ethol. Not sure of the exect spelling of
that. They had 2 pumps, one for each type.

That was back in the days when most stations sold either regular or high
test . I burnt a lot of the AMCO white gas in a 1968 dodge dart with the
hrgh performace 340 cu in engines in it. It was tuned up by some dodge
mechanics for me and it would only bury the white gas or the Sunco 360.
Everything would spark knock.