Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lantern Mantles? Coleman or generic?

robert bowman wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

And
they are known to emit some heavy metal vapor.

iirc, breathing deeply while burning off a Coleman mantle was never
recommended either.

IIRC I was told the old Coleman mantles were dipped in some Thorium
compound which improved the light output and made them slightly radioactive.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
David Billington wrote:

robert bowman wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

And
they are known to emit some heavy metal vapor.

iirc, breathing deeply while burning off a Coleman mantle was never
recommended either.

IIRC I was told the old Coleman mantles were dipped in some Thorium
compound which improved the light output and made them slightly radioactive.

There is more on the Thorium aspect of gas mantles in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_mantle

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Erik wrote:

IIRC I was told the old Coleman mantles were dipped in some Thorium
compound which improved the light output and made them slightly radioactive.

There is more on the Thorium aspect of gas mantles in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_mantle

Again Gunner is ahead of the curve wanting to stockpile. Some tree huggers will try to
ban them because they are slightly radiocative one of these days.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:18:48 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

robert bowman wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

And
they are known to emit some heavy metal vapor.

iirc, breathing deeply while burning off a Coleman mantle was never
recommended either.

IIRC I was told the old Coleman mantles were dipped in some Thorium
compound which improved the light output and made them slightly radioactive.

The heavy metals in mantles actually make up the mantle. The silk or
rayon is simply a carrier to support the metals. When first lit, the
silk or rayon burns away, leaving the metals in the familar shape,
somewhat fused together. They are what actually provide the light as
they are heated up by the gas vapor fire.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:17:08 -0500, Wes wrote:

Erik wrote:

IIRC I was told the old Coleman mantles were dipped in some Thorium
compound which improved the light output and made them slightly radioactive.

There is more on the Thorium aspect of gas mantles in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_mantle

Again Gunner is ahead of the curve wanting to stockpile. Some tree huggers will try to
ban them because they are slightly radiocative one of these days.

Wes

Too late Wes. They're using Yterrium now because of the Thorium
radioactivity.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

Too late Wes. They're using Yterrium now because of the Thorium
radioactivity.

Likely I have more mantles than I'll ever use in my life. Every time I go camping, I
couldn't find the spares so I bought more. Finally, I bought one of those blow molded
cases and put a 4 pack in the bottom. Problem solved.

I can find 4 mantles now

That Goodwill store sounds interesting though. A spare lantern would be nice. Wonder how
well they heat an elevated hunting blind?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 16:36:07 -0500, Wes wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

Too late Wes. They're using Yterrium now because of the Thorium
radioactivity.

Likely I have more mantles than I'll ever use in my life. Every time I go camping, I
couldn't find the spares so I bought more. Finally, I bought one of those blow molded
cases and put a 4 pack in the bottom. Problem solved.

I can find 4 mantles now

That Goodwill store sounds interesting though. A spare lantern would be nice. Wonder how
well they heat an elevated hunting blind?

Wes

They put out a LOT of heat, particulary the 2 mantle lanterns. I made up
a tripod thingy, kinda looked like a lab alky burner stand, and would
run a lantern under neighth it, with the top cover of the lantern off,
and I could heat soup and cook on it .

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That Goodwill store sounds interesting though. A spare lantern would be nice. Wonder how
well they heat an elevated hunting blind?

Wes

They put out a LOT of heat, particulary the 2 mantle lanterns. I made up
a tripod thingy, kinda looked like a lab alky burner stand, and would
run a lantern under neighth it, with the top cover of the lantern off,
and I could heat soup and cook on it .

Gunner

The Petromax (pressurized kerosene burning lanterns) lanterns have a
cooking attachment you can put on the top in place of the chimney /
shade. I can't say that the lanterns themselves throw off a lot of
heat as lanterns, but in the early days of my learning to get one
lighted I did manage to MELT the glass globe on the side opposite to
where the rapid starter ( much like a kerosene blowtorch) is aimed.

RWL