Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Coleman lantern

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message

The Coleman fuel or camp fuel from Walmart, is definitely NOT high
octane. Because the Amoco white gas was touted as high octane, I
decided to use some camp fuel in my generator. BAD IDEA!

The generator started OK, but then began jumping around on the ground.
Apparently the "octane" in high octane serves to slow down combustion.
Low octane fuel tends to explode rather than burn. I have since read
about chunks of spark plug ceramic being broken off by the explosions,
and scoring cylinders. I was lucky my generator was not damaged.

The Coleman fuel that is being called 'white gas' is a totally different
item than the Amoco 'white gas' of years ago. They are not even close to
being the same thing.