Posted to alt.home.repair
bob_villain bob_villain is offline

Default Coleman lantern

On 2016-04-01 5:28 PM, notbob wrote:
I jes snagged a used Coleman lantern. It's like new, dual mantles,
and with a doz unused mantles, so I went ahead and bought it for a
measly $5.

What I'd like to know, will unleaded gas work in this thing?

I grew up with Coleman stuff (lanterns, stoves, etc), so wonder if
these newer lanterns will work with unleaded gas. They usta work jes
fine with "white" gas, but Coleman decided to get into the fuel biz
and now Coleman insists that Coleman Fuel is the only fuel that will
work in them. Being such an old geezer, I'm skeptical.

That weird stuff called "white gas" usta be sold in most filling
stations. Then we got Amoco, which didn't even sell leaded gas. Not
a problem, as everyone sed "white gas" is merely unleaded gas. It's
all we used fer yrs.

What's the real deal?

Good question, wish I had an answer, I have always used Coleman fuel
in both my Coleman Stove and lantern. That said a can of Coleman fuel
is not that expansive and I can easily get a week or more use out of
it for cooking and light when needed.
--
Froz...
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

A can of Coleman fuel at most places is $14.00. Sometimes Walmart has
camp fuel for a little over $7.00 dollars. I bought three cans of camp
fuel the last time I was there. Walmart doesn't always have the camp
fuel, so when a can of Colman fuel gets about half full, and I don't
want to spend $14.00, I will fill the can the rest of the way with
unleaded and it works great.

Unleaded gas alone is not recommended and the light isn't as good in a
lantern. It has to many impurities. After going back to Coleman fuel, it
takes a couple of weeks of running on the cleaner fuel to get it where
it works as good as it should.

$14 isn't a deal breaker, for a stove or lantern or both, unless you are
up all night and cooking it works out to a buck a day, maybe two.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/cole.../0000000224842

On sale for $10 at times.