Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Coleman lantern

On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 11:21:26 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 5:28:29 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
I jes snagged a used Coleman lantern. It's like new, dual mantles,
and with a doz unused mantles, so I went ahead and bought it for a
measly $5.

What I'd like to know, will unleaded gas work in this thing?

I grew up with Coleman stuff (lanterns, stoves, etc), so wonder if
these newer lanterns will work with unleaded gas. They usta work jes
fine with "white" gas, but Coleman decided to get into the fuel biz
and now Coleman insists that Coleman Fuel is the only fuel that will
work in them. Being such an old geezer, I'm skeptical.

That weird stuff called "white gas" usta be sold in most filling
stations. Then we got Amoco, which didn't even sell leaded gas. Not
a problem, as everyone sed "white gas" is merely unleaded gas. It's
all we used fer yrs.

What's the real deal?

nb

I've always thought that white gas was kerosene. I think gasoline is to volatile and might be dangerous to use in a lantern.

Paul

White gas is most definitely NOT Kerosine. It is what is also sold as
Naptha Gas. VERY volatile compared to Kero