Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "MDVIP" For Medical Ca Anybody Heard of It?

Our family doc of 30+ years has announced his semi-retirement.

The vehicle for that is going to be his joining a service called "MDVIP"
and cutting his number of patients from about 4,000 to 600.

The deal is that if somebody wants to continue as his patient, they have
to pony up $1,600 per year as a sort of retainer. Not covered by
health insurance or MediCare, of course... and visits are, of course,
extra.

Wife and I went to the sales pitch today and found it be off-putting.
Both the brochure and slides were heavy on corporate-speak BS and we
walked out after about 20 minutes.

Basically they claim to offer the services and features that one would
expect from any competent physician in a first-world country in the
first place.

Figuring 10 visits a year... that's $160 out-of-pocket for the retainer
plus whatever the deductible is on the visit.

OTOH, I just pulled the 10 visits per year out of the air.... and when I
extend the numbers, they don't really work: 10 visits * 600 patients =
6,000 patient visits/year. 6,000/250 workdays = 24 patients per
day... more on some days, fewer on less. Seems like the doc's pace
would be pretty high.

Backing in to it from the known current 4,000 patients and, to be
conservative, assuming the guy can see 50 patients per day: 250*50 =
12,500 patient visits/year.

12,500/4,000 = only 3.125 visits per patient per year.... so, going back
to the retainer, let's up it to 1,600/3.125 = $512 per visit.... with
the Real Deal being somewhere between $160 and $512.

Have greater minds than mine been through a decision process on this?

I'm not totally writing it off just because of the brochure and the
sales pitch.... there is something to be said for continuing to deal
with a known entity... but $1,600... Geeze Louise !...

Tangentially: If there's significant value to be had here, it sounds
like one more step along the way of the USA becoming a two-tier society.
??
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/16 5:28 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

Some additional background info he

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDVIP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concierge_medicine

FWIW, when my daughter & SIL's doc announced a similar deal, they
declined and found a new doc. Six months later the old doc called to
say she dropped that plan, and would they come back. Sorry, too late.

BTW, was the $1600 for 2, or each of you ? I see that MDVIP itself
gets $500 of the $1600 !

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2016 4:28 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

When our long time family Dr. did that, we just found another Dr. It
just wasn't worth the hassle to stay with the one who was retiring.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I've heard of this and it just seems like a scheme to work less and make
money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2016 2:28 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

Yes! There is SIGNIFICANT value to be had! But, it is all "had"
by the MD! :

We've a friend who had her (and her hubby's) MD go this route.
$3K/each. For the *privilege* of being able to see him -- typ
within a day!

WTF? I can see mine *today* -- if it is a genuine emergency!
"Tomorrow" if we chat and decide I can afford to wait. "Next week"
if there's no rush.

E.g., I schedule my physical months in advance as it is a very
low priority event.

Of course, what's "right" for you depends on how much history you have
with this MD, the sorts of health problems you are addressing (and
expected to address), etc.

I'm starting to get distressed as my "healthcare providers" are
getting to retirement age and leaving me having to "train"
new providers! :

Good luck with your decision!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
[...]

A friend's doc went to this, and we both attended the presentation. She
signed up for it because she got some sort of a family plan (just for a year
or two, as an inducement). Turns out she couldn't get anywhere near the
quick attention she was promised, and bailed after one year. Her kids were
about 18 at the time, so I think that family plan ceased to be a concern for
her, too.

I just remembered - the office turned into a complete ball of chaos, hard to
get appointments, hard to get information.

I use so little G.P. time it would be of no use to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Retired:
BTW, was the $1600 for 2, or each of you ? I see that MDVIP itself
gets $500 of the $1600 !

Each. My conservative guesstimate was that the doc gets about a
half-mil per year out of 600 patients - thus, I guess, reducing the
financial pain of cutting his market from 4,000 to 600 patients.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2016 5:28 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

We quit ours a few months ago. Also would have been $1,600 each per
year. I might see him as little as twice a year and wife maybe once.
We went in for flu shots and I went there every 6-8 weeks for coumadin
tests. The cost is not covered by insurance and is not deductible from
supplemental insurance.

From what I have read the MDVIP setup costs maybe $500 per patient.
Maybe they cover some of the paper work and insurance that has driven
family doctors into not making much money. Old doctors office with 4
MD's was able to get maybe 3 people out of the office.

We had to get a new doctor and most in the area were not taking new
patients so we choose a doctor just getting started and I've been
extremely impressed with her. She picked up where the old had left off
and was right up to speed on my concerns.

Old was set to retire in 3 or 4 years so we would have needed new then.
Also understand that they supplement their income by working part time
in the area hospitals. Considering their staff of nurses and
secretaries and receptionist as well as office expenses like rent,
medical equipment, phones, etc., our old MD was not making the big bucks
and will not make as much under MDVIP as others calculate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Really just an HMO model...

--
The last few years, liberals seem ashamed of America's greatness and
have done everything they can to take us down to third world status.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Frank:
our old MD was not making the big bucks
and will not make as much under MDVIP as others calculate.

Our #1 daughter used to work part-time for a tax expert in Philadelphia.

She came away saying that there are a *lot* of really-high earnings
people (mainframe computer salesmen of the time, for example), but that
GP MDs were not among them.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2016 5:52 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank:
our old MD was not making the big bucks
and will not make as much under MDVIP as others calculate.

Our #1 daughter used to work part-time for a tax expert in Philadelphia.

She came away saying that there are a *lot* of really-high earnings
people (mainframe computer salesmen of the time, for example), but that
GP MDs were not among them.

Somewhere in my trove of goodies, I have "insider" survey data regarding
what a medical practices cost to operate, revenues they generate, etc.
It was alarming to see how hard my MD works and for how (relatively)
little!

OTOH, he "feeds a lot of other mouths"...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anybody Heard of It?

Yes. I was just there, at a branch, for the first time today, but not
for medical reasons.

I have far bigger reasons to dislike it than any that were posted so
far.

But it's late. If I don't post tomorrow, write me and remind me.
Remove NONONO.

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 17:28:52 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message

Tangentially: If there's significant value to be had here, it sounds
like one more step along the way of the USA becoming a two-tier society.
??
--

That is what encourages work and savings. We have lost it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2016 9:23 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 3/15/2016 5:52 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank:
our old MD was not making the big bucks
and will not make as much under MDVIP as others calculate.

Our #1 daughter used to work part-time for a tax expert in Philadelphia.

She came away saying that there are a *lot* of really-high earnings
people (mainframe computer salesmen of the time, for example), but that
GP MDs were not among them.

Somewhere in my trove of goodies, I have "insider" survey data regarding
what a medical practices cost to operate, revenues they generate, etc.
It was alarming to see how hard my MD works and for how (relatively)
little!

OTOH, he "feeds a lot of other mouths"...

Not only that, MD's may start out in debt with hundreds of thousands of
dollars in student loans. After schooling, they will go into a few
years of residency where pay is minimal.

My 62 year old doctor, twice married, has a daughter just starting
college. Gals in his office said he needed the money and had to go MDVIP.

Happened with my lawyer sons and they are still paying off student loans
twenty years after leaving law school.

Doctors making the big bucks around here are usually the orthopedic
surgeons and not the family practice doctors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Frank:
Doctors making the big bucks around here are usually the orthopedic
surgeons and not the family practice doctors.

I used to windsurf with an orthopod who would make something like $2,600
in a short afternoon just writing opinions for court cases.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2016 5:28 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Our family doc of 30+ years has announced his semi-retirement.

The vehicle for that is going to be his joining a service called "MDVIP"
and cutting his number of patients from about 4,000 to 600.

Great thread Pete. With all the old cripples here, this will be fun.

Figuring 10 visits a year... that's $160 out-of-pocket for the retainer

You and your wifey make 10 visits EACH???

My wife and I go about once or twice (in a bad year) each. Maybe you
shouldn't have done so much wacking off when you were a teen.

It's much more fun to be healthy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Our long-term (10+ years) family doc announced he was leaving the group practice and going it alone as an MDVIP. We said bye-bye to him and stayed with the family group practice that brought on another Doc to replace our old Doc. New Doc is much younger and not quite as personable, but seems to know what to do, so we are happy non-MDVIP campers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Zak W:
You and your wifey make 10 visits EACH???

I don't really know - too lazy to go back to my records - but I wanted
to be conservative.

--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 4:58:45 AM UTC-4, Ricky wrote:

But in my opinion, you probably won't find real health care at your doctor's office anyway.

Meaningful health care starts at your local organic grocery store.
Eliminate refined carbohydrates from your diet and eat real organic non-GMO food and
you'll prolly find you won't need to visit your doctor 10 times per year.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ms

Bah. I eat refined carbohydrates and GMO food, and my
doctor is lucky to see me every five years. Actually,
I don't think I've seen him in more than that. I've
seen his PA a couple of times (stepped on a roofing
nail, for example).

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 12:53:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 4:58:45 AM UTC-4, Ricky wrote:

But in my opinion, you probably won't find real health care at your doctor's office anyway.

Meaningful health care starts at your local organic grocery store.
Eliminate refined carbohydrates from your diet and eat real organic non-GMO food and
you'll prolly find you won't need to visit your doctor 10 times per year.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ms

Bah. I eat refined carbohydrates and GMO food, and my
doctor is lucky to see me every five years. Actually,
I don't think I've seen him in more than that. I've
seen his PA a couple of times (stepped on a roofing
nail, for example).

QED If you ate health food, you would not have stepped on that nail.
Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/16/2016 01:53 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 4:58:45 AM UTC-4, Ricky wrote:

But in my opinion, you probably won't find real health care at your doctor's office anyway.

Meaningful health care starts at your local organic grocery store.
Eliminate refined carbohydrates from your diet and eat real organic non-GMO food and
you'll prolly find you won't need to visit your doctor 10 times per year.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ms

Bah. I eat refined carbohydrates and GMO food, and my
doctor is lucky to see me every five years. Actually,
I don't think I've seen him in more than that. I've
seen his PA a couple of times (stepped on a roofing
nail, for example).

Cindy Hamilton

You are so lucky to have great genetics and excellent health!

But look around. By age 45, most people look like Humpty Dumpty, have high blood pressure, low HDL, triglycerides and glucose through the roof. Then there is the stuff that's not so obvious like atherosclerosis, heart disease, cancer, and the impending
stroke. Most of these folks have hundreds in monthly pharmacy bills too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ricky wrote in
:

But look around. By age 45, most people look like Humpty Dumpty, have
high blood pressure, low HDL, triglycerides and glucose through the
roof. Then there is the stuff that's not so obvious like
atherosclerosis, heart disease, cancer, and the impending stroke. Most
of these folks have hundreds in monthly pharmacy bills too.

That sounds like such fun!!! If that happened to me, I would want to live
AT LEAST another 45 years in that condition having fun like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/17/2016 8:27 AM, Zak W wrote:
Ricky wrote in
:

But look around. By age 45, most people look like Humpty Dumpty, have
high blood pressure, low HDL, triglycerides and glucose through the
roof. Then there is the stuff that's not so obvious like
atherosclerosis, heart disease, cancer, and the impending stroke. Most
of these folks have hundreds in monthly pharmacy bills too.

That sounds like such fun!!! If that happened to me, I would want to live
AT LEAST another 45 years in that condition having fun like that.

Lot more fun than that. There is failing eyesight, hearing, and
arthritis to name a few.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Frank:
Lot more fun than that. There is failing eyesight, hearing, and
arthritis to name a few.

"Old age is not for sissies."
(Anonymous, 2016)
--