Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone heard of Emerson/White Rodgers "Cool Savings" feature on theirthermostats?

I have an Emerson thermostat that claims to have a feature called cool
savings...

I tried to Google this feature and Emerson says its designed to adjust
the programmed set point temperature during high demand use of a central
air conditioner. I think they mean that the thermostat will call on the
variable speed fan/ECM fan will blow faster to similate cooler air,
without the compressor running all the time, but that's just my guess

I can't really get any more information other than that.

I've only had this blower unit/furnace and thermostat for 4 months so no
history with it. Today was first day using the aircond this year
however A coil and compressor unit are 14 years old, and were run on a
different thermostat the past 13 summers.

Anyone care to explain what this feature is and how it works? Emerson
"Cool Savings"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 10:41*pm, Duesenberg wrote:
[...]

No idea but I doubt it's going to increase the blower speed to
simulate cooler air during high demand. First I don't think that
would get you anywhere
because whatever speed the blower runs at in all the
homes I've been involved with you never feel any
real breeze or air movement. So it's hard to imagine
you're going to please customers by fooling with
fan speed when it's hot to save what? A couple bucks?
A ceiling fan, that's a different story because it blows
directly on you And I'd bet that 14 year old AC is a
single stage. In which case, again in all the cases
I've seen the furnace blower then runs at the highest
speed when cooling.

Some newer furnaces/AC have features to run the AC
on low for humidity control, but that doesn't appear to
be what they are talking about. Most likely it's what we
call marketing BS. The fact that there is no explanation
probably tells you something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 May 2012 22:41:30 -0400, Duesenberg wrote:

I have an Emerson thermostat that claims to have a feature called cool
savings...

I tried to Google this feature and Emerson says its designed to adjust
the programmed set point temperature during high demand use of a central
air conditioner. I think they mean that the thermostat will call on the
variable speed fan/ECM fan will blow faster to similate cooler air,
without the compressor running all the time, but that's just my guess

I can't really get any more information other than that.

I've only had this blower unit/furnace and thermostat for 4 months so no
history with it. Today was first day using the aircond this year
however A coil and compressor unit are 14 years old, and were run on a
different thermostat the past 13 summers.

Anyone care to explain what this feature is and how it works? Emerson
"Cool Savings"

I can't explain. My HVAC unit has a feature that calls the blower on
low, as to re circulate the already cool air in the home. It later
calls the AC on and the compressor starts.

Like that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2012 1:34 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2012 22:41:30 -0400, wrote:

[...]

I guess. I suppose the blower will help dehumidify making the air feel
cooler without calling on the compressor all the time?

On mine it's called from the thermostat and there are 6 different
settings but the manual doesn't really explain how the feature really
works. Is yours called from the thermostat or the control board?

This is their explanation, which explains little.. It's from White
Rodgers' Youtube page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgS9KTl2eSc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 2:27*pm, Duesenberg wrote:
On 5/21/2012 1:34 PM, Oren wrote:

[...]

The blower can't lower the humidity without the
compressor running. It requires the evaporator
to be cold to condense the water.

On mine it's called from the thermostat and there are 6 different
settings but the manual doesn't really explain how the feature really
works. Is yours called from the thermostat or the control board?

This is their explanation, which explains little.. It's from White
Rodgers' Youtube page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgS9KTl2eSc- Hide quoted text -

What the guy is saying is this. Let's say I set my thermostat to 72
in cooling mode. On days when
it's not very hot, let's say it's only upper 70's, the
system won't run very much to maintain 72 deg.
With the compressor only running a little, the
humidity in the house will stay higher than it
would if the compressor was running a lot. That's
because the more the compressor is on, the more
humidity it's going to extract from the air.

Now on days when it's 90 out and the compressor
is running a lot, it will take out more humidity from
the air. If the thermostat still maintains that 72 deg
set-point, you will wind up with the house at 72 and
with lower humidity than you did on the day when
the system was only running a little to maintain 72.
Consequently it will feel cooler to humans. So, to
save energy and compensate for this, the
thermostat realizes the compressor has been
running a lot and instead of maintaining the set
temp of 72, it maintains a slightly higher temp, of
maybe 74. To you it feels about the same coolness
as it did on the other day when it was 72, because
the humidity level is lower from the compressor
running a lot.

With a dumb thermostat you could do the same
thing by just raising the set-point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Duesenberg wrote:
On 5/21/2012 1:34 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

What a lousy recorded audio video. Should have hired a professional.

I have a dehumidifier available, with some difficulty, but there are a
couple days of the year the inside humidity goes up over 60% . My touch
light sensors start flicking on lights, my dew stop turns the bath fan on,
and it's yucky. I like to open windows whenever I can, but I guess I can
live with it. One option is to start the oven, cook some food.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2012 9:02 PM, Congoleum Breckenridge wrote:
On 5/21/2012 9:24 AM, wrote:
On May 20, 10:41 pm, wrote:
I have an Emerson thermostat that claims to have a feature called cool
savings...

Anyone care to explain what this feature is and how it works? Emerson
"Cool Savings"

Maybe it runs the indoor fan for 1-2 mins after the compressor shuts
down, to blow all the cool air in the evaporator into the living spaces.

From the thermostat's manual:

"With Cool Savings enabled, the thermostat will make small adjustments
to the setpoint temperature during periods of high demand to reduce
AC system running time and save energy. When the cooling system has
been running for more than 20 minutes, humidity in the home will be
lower and a higher temperature will feel comfortable. After 20
minutes of run time, the thermostat will start increasing the setpoint
temperature in steps of less than one degree as the system continues
to run. These adjustments will eventually cause the system to satisfy
the thermostat to turn the system off and reduce the energy
consumption. When the Cool Savings feature is active and making
adjustments, the display will flash 'Cool Savings'. The amount of the
adjustments to the setpoint temperature is dependent on the Cool
Savings value that is set, 1
being the least adjustment and 6 being the most adjustment . With this
feature set to OFF, no change will occur when the AC system is
continuously running during the periods of high demand. Periods of
high demand will normally occur during the late afternoon and early
evening on the hottest days of the summer . As demand lessens the
adjustments to setpoint temperature are reversed
until setpoint temperature returns to normal and 'CoolSavings' no
longer flashes."

In short: when you activate the Cool Savings option, after the a/c has
been running for at least 20 minutes it will gradually raise the
thermostat's temperature setting, which will shut off the a/c. You
choose whether to use the option, and you choose how drastic of a
temperature rise you are prepared to tolerate to save on energy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 20, 2012 10:41:30 PM UTC-4, Duesenberg wrote:
I have an Emerson thermostat that claims to have a feature called cool
savings...

I tried to Google this feature and Emerson says its designed to adjust
the programmed set point temperature during high demand use of a central
air conditioner. I think they mean that the thermostat will call on the
variable speed fan/ECM fan will blow faster to similate cooler air,
without the compressor running all the time, but that's just my guess

I can't really get any more information other than that.

I've only had this blower unit/furnace and thermostat for 4 months so no
history with it. Today was first day using the aircond this year
however A coil and compressor unit are 14 years old, and were run on a
different thermostat the past 13 summers.

Anyone care to explain what this feature is and how it works? Emerson
"Cool Savings"

I've read the manual, too, but I am still confused. It says "amount of adjustments". Does it mean "number of adjustments" or "amount of adjustment" (so 's'). It's quite common to use the word "amount" when the word "number" is meant. So, if it's "amount of adjustment" (no 's'), then the smaller the amount of adjustment for each adjustment (i.e., just a little adjustment for each adjustment), the longer the compressor runs; hence, for the most energy savings, I would want the value to be set to 6. (i.e., a big adjustment for each adjustment causes the compressor to turn off sooner).

On the other hand, if it means "number of adjustments", the smaller the number of adjustments, the sooner the compressor shuts off; hence, for the most energy savings, I would want the value to be set to 1. (one adjustment [each adjustment is less than one degree], and the compressor turns off.)

So, which is it: "amount of adjustment" (no 's') or "number of adjustments" ??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 6:12*pm, wrote:
[...]

So, which is it: *"amount of adjustment" (no 's') or "number of adjustments" ??- Hide quoted text -

Without having the manual or a link to the manual,
I doubt anyone here is going to know what section
you're reading and what it means. The "cool savings"
feature I explained many posts ago and it's also
covered in the video that's referenced in the thread.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 11:37:44 AM UTC-4, wrote:
That was your post 5yrs ago and a very good observation (on your part) that didn't receive a polite nor good response.

You reply as if that poster from 5 years ago is still reading this,
waiting for an answer. The fact is
the cool savings featured was described in detail here, the actual
words from the manual were referenced, including that you have a choice
of settings, from one to six, with six providing the most savings.
What is still unclear about how it works and how to set it? And no
one here was impolite either, certainly not my response, most of us
provided help, which BTW you did not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 08:37:41 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

That was your post 5yrs ago and a very good observation (on your part) that didn't receive a polite nor good response.

Well, you have a good opportunity to provide a detailed answer that is
polite and good. Take a much space and time as you need.