Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tomorrow (March 12, 2016)

On 03/13/2016 12:19 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

[snip]

I always laugh when I read about the "extra hour".

I do too.

There is still the
same amount of sun there was the day before

I can be interesting to try to figure out you it would be possible to
get a real "extra hour". Effectively impossible (especially for a
portion of the planet), and consider the environmental impact.

I checked on the amount of daylight he

March 12 11:57
March 13 11:59
March 14 12:01

Which shows no evidence of any "extra hour". The 4 minute difference
across 2 days is explained by the REAL changes.

At least I DID get my clocks set. DST is good for SOMETHING.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not
understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand."
-- Mark Twain
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Resistor color codes

On 3/13/2016 5:46 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/13/2016 12:50 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

In college, I learned "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives
Willingly" as a way to remember the colors:

It was a little more racist in my day...

That cast a bit more of a black cloud
over the matter. Willingly to silver
and gold (help remember that silver and
gold denote different tolerance levels.)

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 16:44:13 -0500, SeaNymph
wrote:

On 3/13/2016 12:52 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 12:19:38 -0500, SeaNymph
wrote:

On 3/13/2016 10:39 AM, Arthur Andersen wrote:
On 03/12/2016 06:51 PM, Retired wrote:

As the old gal up the street says "I wish they would quit messing with
the clocks. My roses need all the sunlight they can get"

Morning sun is more beneficial than evening sun so the government should
add the extra hour of light in the morning.

I always laugh when I read about the "extra hour". There is still the
same amount of sun there was the day before

That is not really true, there will be more sunlight every successive
day until June 21, then the days start getting shorter again. DST is
reflecting that, based on when the sun goes down, and gives an
apparently longer time between getting off work and dark.

I agree it might be easier for employers to simply let people start
work sooner in the summer but they want the whole area to be in sync.

I am retired and I am never sure what time it is anyway so I really
don't care anyway.

Yes, I understand that the days get longer and shorter, depending on the
time of year.

That doesn't change anything, nor does it make referring to the "extra
hour" of daylight any more sensible.

It is just the perception given by getting off work an hour earlier in
the summer..

I always had problems with the switch back in the fall because,
suddenly you were driving home in the dark.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 17:29:43 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 03/13/2016 12:52 PM, wrote:

[snip]

There will be more sunlight every successive
day until June 21, then the days start getting shorter again.

This rate of change is highest now (and the corresponding time in about
6 months), but is only about 2 min/day here, a lot less than that
imaginary "extra hour".

They just made an arbitrary day when you change it an hour.
That date actually changed adding an extra week or two of DST during
the Carter administration and again during the GWB administration.

DST is
reflecting that, based on when the sun goes down, and gives an
apparently longer time between getting off work and dark.

Having the opposite effect in the morning. Net gain: zero.

The thought is most people are asleep in the morning and are "wasting
daylight".

I agree it might be easier for employers to simply let people start
work sooner in the summer but they want the whole area to be in sync.

I know of a military base in Arizona there they just do things earlier.
It works a lot better than those mind games.

I agree. If the world could handle just having summer hours and winter
hours it would be a lot easier.

I am retired and I am never sure what time it is anyway so I really
don't care anyway.

That's the ideal, where you never need to know the time. Ever had a
doctor's appointment?

They call me an hour or so ahead of time. I ask them then what my
chances are of actually seeing the doctor when I get there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 10:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/13/2016 5:46 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/13/2016 12:50 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

In college, I learned "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives
Willingly" as a way to remember the colors:

It was a little more racist in my day...

That cast a bit more of a black cloud
over the matter. Willingly to silver
and gold (help remember that silver and
gold denote different tolerance levels.)

Actually it was gold then silver, or further yet, gold, silver and none.
"Good Stuff" or "Get Some Now"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 11:28 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 16:44:13 -0500, SeaNymph
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

And now, up here, people are driving to work in the dark.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:21:02 -0400, wrote:

That makes me glad I dont have daily cows. Any other cattle, horses or
other livestock do not need to be fed on such a tight schedule. In fact,
I feed mine a little different each day, normally within a 3 hour range.
That keeps them from getting hung up on a strict schedule, so they dont
get all worked up and noisy if they are not fed exactly the same each
day, and is a lot easier on me or whoever feeds them too. Occasionally,
during severe weather conditions, (heavy rain, blizzards, other severe
weather), they may get feed even longer, or get fed a lot sooner than
usual, to accomodate the weather. If they are not on a precise feeding
schedule, they dont make a big fuss when their schedule is all screwed
up due to weather, or other unexpected conditions, such as my car breaks
down, and I have to locate someone else to feed my animals.

Animals are not as stupid as most people think. They have a built in
"clock", mostly based on the sunlight, and they somehow adjust it for
the seasonal longer or shorter daylight times.

By the way, the time changed on March 13 @ 2.00am (NOT on March 12).

You are talking about modern farmers. Old time farmers got their time
cues from the sun, not the clock. They would adjust by a few minutes a
day, every day for the 4 solar seasons without really noticing that
much, just like their animals.

I do find it interesting that my dog adjusts to DST faster than I do.
His time cues seem to be apparent right away.

I think many farmers still go by the sun, but when they hire people to
help with the milking, (which most large dairy operations do), they have
to use a clock to make sure the hired help is there on time. The person
who told me about this, is "hired help" on a large dairy farm, and THEY
are the ones who have to adjust their schedule over the next week or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 7:38:54 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 7:27:01 PM UTC-5, SeaNymph wrote:
On 3/12/2016 5:35 PM, notX wrote:
Tomorrow is National Clock-**** Day

It's a bi-annual celebration of stupidity.

Celebration begins at 2:00 AM

CORRECTION: due to stupidity, there is NO TWO this Sunday morning. It
has been officially re-designated as three.

I despise the stupidity of DST.

I LOVE DST, its awesome to have more hours of daylight in the evening

I love standard time; it's awesome to have more hours of
daylight in the morning.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2016 3:06 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 7:38:54 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

I LOVE DST, its awesome to have more hours of daylight in the evening

I love standard time; it's awesome to have more hours of
daylight in the morning.

Cindy Hamilton

Much depends on where you live in the time zone. Here in the east the
extra hour at night is nice and it is still light at 5AM in June on DST.
I really don't need it light at 4AM when I'm still sleeping. One the
western edge of the zone it is about an hour different so I'd be happy
to stay on standard time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/14/2016 02:06 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[snip]

I LOVE DST, its awesome to have more hours of daylight in the evening

I love standard time; it's awesome to have more hours of
daylight in the morning.

Cindy Hamilton

Whether either "more hours of daylight in the evening" or "more hours of
daylight in the morning" are true of not, we still have zero net benefit.

Actually less than zero, considering the amount of free time converted
to wasted time (setting clocks, etc...).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The government ought to stay out of the prayer business." -- Jimmy
Carter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 10:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/13/2016 5:46 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/13/2016 12:50 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

In college, I learned "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives
Willingly" as a way to remember the colors:

It was a little more racist in my day...

I must have never heard that one. I heard a "cleaner" version but don't
remember anything of that after "Betty Brown".

That cast a bit more of a black cloud
over the matter. Willingly to silver
and gold (help remember that silver and
gold denote different tolerance levels.)

And also small multipliers sometimes used for resistance less than 1 ohm.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The government ought to stay out of the prayer business." -- Jimmy
Carter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 11:28 PM, wrote:

[snip]

I always had problems with the switch back in the fall because,
suddenly you were driving home in the dark.

Forgot about your headlights?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 17:05:34 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

Whether either "more hours of daylight in the evening" or "more hours of
daylight in the morning" are true of not, we still have zero net benefit.

Actually less than zero, considering the amount of free time converted
to wasted time (setting clocks, etc...).

Proposal :-)

http://standardtime.com/proposed.gif
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Whether either "more hours of daylight in the evening" or "more hours of
daylight in the morning" are true of not, we still have zero net benefit.

Actually less than zero, considering the amount of free time converted
to wasted time (setting clocks, etc...).

Proposal :-)

http://standardtime.com/proposed.gif

Why bother with any of that. Everyone could just be on Zulu time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

On 3/13/2016 5:46 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/13/2016 12:50 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

In college, I learned "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives
Willingly" as a way to remember the colors:

It was a little more racist in my day...

That cast a bit more of a black cloud
over the matter. Willingly to silver
and gold (help remember that silver and
gold denote different tolerance levels.)

--
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
This is on standard Resistor
Gold = 5% €“ tolerance
Silver = 10% - tolerance
No color = 20% - tolerance

Capacitor's are some what different
for different type of configuration
Tolerance Varies with type
Mica = REC-115a
Ceramics = Retma Rec-107a
Military = Jan-C-20a
Paper Military Standard Mil-C-91a
And I believe there are more!!!

73 = KA2AYS
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/14/2016 05:19 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Proposal :-)

http://standardtime.com/proposed.gif

That sounds like the one I heard about. Do away with DST in every other
time zone, and make DST permanent in the others. Effectively getting rid
of DST, with the added benefit of halving the number of time zones.

Someday, we may be able to get rid of time zones completely. UTC for all.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The government ought to stay out of the prayer business." -- Jimmy
Carter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/14/2016 04:10 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 03/13/2016 10:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/13/2016 5:46 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/13/2016 12:50 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

In college, I learned "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives
Willingly" as a way to remember the colors:

It was a little more racist in my day...

I must have never heard that one. I heard a "cleaner" version but don't
remember anything of that after "Betty Brown".

It's self evident that you start with Black.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/14/2016 08:54 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Why bother with any of that. Everyone could just be on Zulu time.

Pick one. Make up my mind :-)

I pick Zulu time for everyone. People who care when the sun rises where
they are know when the sun rises where they are.

BTW, Once I was staying with some relatives and on the phone with outers
in a different time zone. I asked to talk to my father and was told he
wouldn't cone to the phone because he was listening to the opera.

That opera was a live broadcast. People everywhere hear it at the same
time. Still someone here said "it must already be over here". That's one
example of the confusion that comes with time zones.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The government ought to stay out of the prayer business." -- Jimmy
Carter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:01:07 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 03/14/2016 05:19 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Proposal :-)

http://standardtime.com/proposed.gif

That sounds like the one I heard about. Do away with DST in every other
time zone, and make DST permanent in the others. Effectively getting rid
of DST, with the added benefit of halving the number of time zones.

Someday, we may be able to get rid of time zones completely. UTC for all.

I prefer to get up when the rooster crows and the chickens go to
roost. Turkeys fly upon the branches to roost for the night.

I don't need this much organization in my life. I hate clocks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 6:33:22 PM UTC-6, Frank wrote:
On 3/12/2016 7:26 PM, SeaNymph wrote:
On 3/12/2016 5:35 PM, notX wrote:
Tomorrow is National Clock-**** Day

It's a bi-annual celebration of stupidity.

Celebration begins at 2:00 AM

CORRECTION: due to stupidity, there is NO TWO this Sunday morning. It
has been officially re-designated as three.

I despise the stupidity of DST.

At least it used to be easy to change the dials on the old analog
clocks. Now you need a degree in electrical engineering to change time
on some modern devices.

It took me 3 seconds to adjust the digital time/date/temperature wall clocks me and my roommate got for Christmas. It took a couple of tries to get the battery operated analog wall clock right. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Digital Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 4:43:47 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 03/13/2016 12:50 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

In college, I learned "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives
Willingly" as a way to remember the colors:

It was a little more racist in my day...

Define,"Racist". ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Racist Monster