Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Telemarketers sigh

What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every night
between 8 and 9. My answering machine announces the numbers and they are
always the same. The answering machine answers, they hang up. Why call over
and over and ... Obviously I'm never going to pick up. They just enjoy
harassing people? Why do the phone companies let them get away wuth this?
Should be easy for the companies to spot them. I get other calls in the
mornings. All my friends that I asked have the same problems. Mine is an
unlisted number.

I tried a Pro Call Blocker through Amazon but the instructions were
terrible and it made several obvious errors. Returned it the next day.
Anyone find a blocker that works?

There must be a better, more polite way to sell to (and cheat) people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 11:38 AM, KenK wrote:
What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every night
between 8 and 9. My answering machine announces the numbers and they are
always the same. The answering machine answers, they hang up. Why call over
and over and ... Obviously I'm never going to pick up. They just enjoy
harassing people? Why do the phone companies let them get away with this?
Should be easy for the companies to spot them. I get other calls in the
mornings. All my friends that I asked have the same problems. Mine is an
unlisted number.

I tried a Pro Call Blocker through Amazon but the instructions were
terrible and it made several obvious errors. Returned it the next day.
Anyone find a blocker that works?

There must be a better, more polite way to sell to (and cheat) people.

Same one calling? If so, you may be able to stop it by answering the
phone and tell them to put you on their do not call list. Or just
telling them you are not interested. The dialer may be programmed to
call until they get a real person.

Many of the calls originate off shore and the phone company and
government can do little to stop them. AFAIK, the phone company cannot
just tell someone to stop a legal action just because some people are
bothered by it. Even if they could, there would be a new number for the
outgoing call in minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 8:50:09 AM UTC-8, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every night

We have ATT's U-verse and can block such calls, BUT only 20 of them so these A-holes keep faking new numbers.
Once in a while, I'll answer (with caller ID blocked):
"Federal Trade Commission. How may I direct your call?"
This unexpected reply creates a pause on the other end before they start into their worthless spiel.
"This is an office of the US federal Government. Who do you want to talk to?"
CLICK!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 9:38 AM, KenK wrote:
What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every night
between 8 and 9. My answering machine announces the numbers and they are
always the same. The answering machine answers, they hang up. Why call over
and over and ... Obviously I'm never going to pick up. They just enjoy
harassing people? Why do the phone companies let them get away wuth this?
Should be easy for the companies to spot them. I get other calls in the
mornings. All my friends that I asked have the same problems. Mine is an
unlisted number.

I tried a Pro Call Blocker through Amazon but the instructions were
terrible and it made several obvious errors. Returned it the next day.
Anyone find a blocker that works?

There must be a better, more polite way to sell to (and cheat) people.

As long as there are fools who respond to these folks, they will continue
to try this tactic. Can you blame them? What's the downside: prison
time? fines? No, just a "bad reputation".

Meh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/26/2016 11:38 AM, KenK wrote:

What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every night
between 8 and 9. My answering machine announces the numbers and they are
always the same. The answering machine answers, they hang up. Why call over
and over and ... Obviously I'm never going to pick up. They just enjoy
harassing people? Why do the phone companies let them get away wuth this?
Should be easy for the companies to spot them. I get other calls in the
mornings. All my friends that I asked have the same problems. Mine is an
unlisted number.

I tried a Pro Call Blocker through Amazon but the instructions were
terrible and it made several obvious errors. Returned it the next day.
Anyone find a blocker that works?

There must be a better, more polite way to sell to (and cheat) people.

Our "public" phone number is a Google Voice number that forwards to our
"private" number from PhonePower. I don't think we've ever had
telemarketer calls to our "private" number, but there is provision to
block specific numbers at either point. BUT we keep getting calls from
-- seemingly -- the same telemarketers but with different phone numbers
each time, all of them probably "borrowed" anyway; they don't leave
messages on the answering machine We just keep adding more and more
numbers to our "blocked" list.

As for telling telemarketers to put you on their "do not call" list or
that you are already on the official list, I read recently that one such
replied, "We'll call whoever we damn well please."

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 11:38 AM, KenK wrote:
What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every night
between 8 and 9. My answering machine announces the numbers and they are
always the same. The answering machine answers, they hang up. Why call over
and over and ... Obviously I'm never going to pick up. They just enjoy
harassing people? Why do the phone companies let them get away wuth this?
Should be easy for the companies to spot them. I get other calls in the
mornings. All my friends that I asked have the same problems. Mine is an
unlisted number.

I tried a Pro Call Blocker through Amazon but the instructions were
terrible and it made several obvious errors. Returned it the next day.
Anyone find a blocker that works?

There must be a better, more polite way to sell to (and cheat) people.

I don't even try as calling numbers are also forged and they just rotate
through them.

****es me off that the phone company has to know who is doing it and our
all pervasive government that only wants to protect us from terrorists
don't help.

I tell people that I'm not worried about ISIS as much as my peace being
disturbed by these *******s.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 8:38 AM, KenK wrote:
What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every night
between 8 and 9. My answering machine announces the numbers and they are
always the same. The answering machine answers, they hang up. Why call over
and over and ... Obviously I'm never going to pick up. They just enjoy
harassing people? Why do the phone companies let them get away wuth this?
Should be easy for the companies to spot them. I get other calls in the
mornings. All my friends that I asked have the same problems. Mine is an
unlisted number.

I tried a Pro Call Blocker through Amazon but the instructions were
terrible and it made several obvious errors. Returned it the next day.
Anyone find a blocker that works?

There must be a better, more polite way to sell to (and cheat) people.

Just turn down the base unit's volume (off if possible), and proceed to
live your obviously flustered life with the fact of just returning calls
at a later time.
Works for me, goober.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:38:21 +0000, KenK wrote:

I tried a Pro Call Blocker through Amazon but the instructions were
terrible and it made several obvious errors. Returned it the next day.
Anyone find a blocker that works?

There must be a better, more polite way to sell to (and cheat) people.

https://www.nomorobo.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Muggles:
It's weird how I can block numbers on my cell phone, but can't do it on
a land line.

Your cell phone is a computer - and that is what is doing the blocking.

--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Trol Odioso:

https://www.nomorobo.com/

Are you using it?

Impressions ?
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Feb 2016, KenK wrote in alt.home.repair:

What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every
night between 8 and 9. My answering machine announces the numbers
and they are always the same. The answering machine answers, they
hang up.

Your options are limited. The phone numbers displayed on your phone are
almost certainly spoofed. The callers are trying to scam you, and will
therefore not respect the voluntary National Call List, nor will they
stop calling you even if you request it.

I've been keeping a list of all junk calls for the past 2 or 3 years
because I was interested to see how often the same phone numbers were
used, what telemarketing campaigns were out there. I found that most
numbers were used only once, that others were used for a period of time
- usually no more than few weeks - and never used again. Frequency of
calls seems to go in waves - for a few weeks I'll get several a day,
then for a few weeks I may get only a couple a week.

Junk calls are pretty easy to recognize by their caller ID. If they say
the name of a city, they are certain to be junk. If they are a long
string of numbers, they are junk. This makes them easy to ignore when
they do call, though of course just the ringing is a bother.

Many phone systems allow you to block a certain number of specific
numbers. Mine, Comcast, has a limit of 25. This is only somewhat useful
- since the number will only be used for a short time, you'll use up
your precious allotment on numbers that no longer need to be blocked.
OTOH, if *all* your junk calls are from the same number and never any
others, the blocking feature alone would be perfect for you.

Until recently I'd been simply ignoring junk calls, but if the same
number called 3 or more times, I blocked them. I keep a manual record
of when I blocked the number, and I remove the oldest ones when I need
more space.

The volume of junk calls had gone down a lot but as of about a month
ago it started going way up again. I've gotten tired of playing the
game, so I finally resorted to a service I've been wanting to try for
quite a while called "Nomorobo" (https://www.nomorobo.com/). It depends
on your phone provider having a feature called "simultaneous ring". The
feature lets you set up your main number to also ring at other numbers,
like your mobile phone for example. In this case, you have it also ring
at Nomorobo, who then checks the calling number against their national
list of 'bad guy' numbers, and if it finds a match, it hangs up the
call. When a junk caller calls you, your phone will ring once, then no
more. A legit call will keep ringing as you would expect. It's free and
non-commercial, and seems to be effective - I've had about a dozen junk
calls blocked, two were missed, and no "real" calls have been blocked.

I hope that someday there will be an effective way to track down the
actual scam telemarketers, but until then, this is the best practical
solution I've found.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Feb 2016, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Per Trol Odioso:

https://www.nomorobo.com/

Are you using it?

Impressions ?

I've been using Nomorobo for about 2 weeks now. See my post from a
couple of minutes ago. Short answer: "Seems to work great!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 1:15 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Muggles:
It's weird how I can block numbers on my cell phone, but can't do it on
a land line.

Your cell phone is a computer - and that is what is doing the blocking.

ahh ... ok .. that makes sense. Didn't think of it that way.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Per Trol Odioso:

https://www.nomorobo.com/

Are you using it?

I am, for years now.

Impressions ?

Greatest thing since sliced bread.
(Really, see my other post, I had a blocked call as I typed
the response.) You hear one ring only.
All it takes is hearing that one ring in the shower and
you'll be very happy.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 10:38:26 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every night
between 8 and 9. My answering machine announces the numbers and they are
always the same. The answering machine answers, they hang up. Why call over
and over and ... Obviously I'm never going to pick up. They just enjoy
harassing people? Why do the phone companies let them get away wuth this?
Should be easy for the companies to spot them. I get other calls in the
mornings. All my friends that I asked have the same problems. Mine is an
unlisted number.

I tried a Pro Call Blocker through Amazon but the instructions were
terrible and it made several obvious errors. Returned it the next day.
Anyone find a blocker that works?

There must be a better, more polite way to sell to (and cheat) people.
--

Me and my brothers use telepests as a source of entertainment. When I was at home the last time and the phone rang with a telepest on the line, I answered as a crazed screaming Chinaman and threatened to hunt them down and wok their eyeballs. I often answer as the FBI, DEA or Gay and Lesbian Hotline.. I have fun answering as a stroke victim with severe aphasia or a mental patient (not difficult for me). At one time, I had sound effects setup on my computer connected to a 40w sound system. I would pick up the phone and yell into it asking who it was then yell STFU at a sound effect of a woman screaming "NO! NO!" followed by a shotgun blast. I'd yell into the phone,"LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!" then hang up. I love to frak with telepests. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Crazed Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Dan Espen:
I don't see why Verizon or any other carrier allows
faked originating numbers on their network.

I don't claim to know much, but would have to ask how the phone company
would know whether a CallerID were real or faked.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Dan Espen:
Greatest thing since sliced bread.
(Really, see my other post, I had a blocked call as I typed
the response.) You hear one ring only.
All it takes is hearing that one ring in the shower and
you'll be very happy.

I never thought of that aspect: "Rinnnnng..... Silence.... YEAH...it's
*working*"
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/26/2016 11:38 AM, KenK wrote:
What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every night
between 8 and 9. My answering machine announces the numbers and they are
always the same. The answering machine answers, they hang up.

FWIW, the government is putting some of the assholes away.
Personally, I think this pond scum should be executed.

http://www.justice.gov/usao-ndtx/pr/...ederal-charges
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On 02/26/2016 02:15 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Trol Odioso:

https://www.nomorobo.com/

Are you using it? Impressions ?

I use ooma.com as my phone service. nomorobo is built in to ooma. Works great!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Per Dan Espen:
I don't see why Verizon or any other carrier allows
faked originating numbers on their network.

I don't claim to know much, but would have to ask how the phone company
would know whether a CallerID were real or faked.

Because they know the originating number.
That's in the "meta data" that the government wanted to collect
and their billing information.
For some reason they allow calls on their network with faked
caller ID information.

Here's a nice overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

Looks like spoofing the ID is now illegal in the US.
What I want is for the carriers in the US to do the blocking
and cut off any other carrier that allows spoofing.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 2:42 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Me too. I've had some memorable moments. Wish I had recorded them.
Lots of profanity and racial slurs. I even had them call me back to ask
why I said that. Last was, "Why you call me a ****ing Indian?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/26/2016 11:24 AM, Shade Tree Guy wrote:
On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 8:50:09 AM UTC-8, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every night

We have ATT's U-verse and can block such calls, BUT only 20 of them so these A-holes keep faking new numbers.
Once in a while, I'll answer (with caller ID blocked):
"Federal Trade Commission. How may I direct your call?"
This unexpected reply creates a pause on the other end before they start into their worthless spiel.
"This is an office of the US federal Government. Who do you want to talk to?"
CLICK!

I also use AT&T , thus far I have not reached the limit or 20

I have also signed up for nomorobo

https://www.nomorobo.com/

Between the two virtually all nuisance calls have been blocked.

The phone will ring one time though

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 11:38:26 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
What do you do about these pests?

I got rid of my land line. It also spares me from incessant
botheration during the election year.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 12:45 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Dan Espen:
Greatest thing since sliced bread.
(Really, see my other post, I had a blocked call as I typed
the response.) You hear one ring only.
All it takes is hearing that one ring in the shower and
you'll be very happy.

I never thought of that aspect: "Rinnnnng..... Silence.... YEAH...it's
*working*"

Until they call back a minute later.
Or, you happen to be asleep and the phone wakes you.

The connection shouldn't exist (in practical terms) unless YOU
want it. Why should I have to be bothered by a call that YOU
KNOW I DON'T WANT??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 2:03:44 PM UTC-6, Frank wrote:
[...]

One of my roommates was a nice guy from Southern India. We're both Southerners so I guess that's why we got along. He told me of calling tech support and reaching a call center in India. When he spoke to the guy in Hindi, the CSA stopped him and told him he was only allowed to speak English because all the calls were monitored. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Pesky Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 4:32 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Reminds me but I lost my notes. I had some choice Hindi phrases near
the phone, one addressed to males and other females. Got them from
Google translate which also will voice the words and give phonetic
translations, if you did not know this. Used on a couple of females and
they hung up fast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Don Y:
Note there are legitimate cases where a CID *needs* (wants?)
to be spoofed.

I am one of those.

My outgoing VOIP calls get the caller ID spoofed to contain my land line
number.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dee Dee is offline

KenK wrote in
:

What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every
night between 8 and 9. My answering machine announces the numbers
and they are always the same. The answering machine answers, they
hang up. Why call over and over and ... Obviously I'm never going
to pick up. They just enjoy harassing people? Why do the phone
companies let them get away wuth this? Should be easy for the
companies to spot them. I get other calls in the mornings. All my
friends that I asked have the same problems. Mine is an unlisted
number.

I tried a Pro Call Blocker through Amazon but the instructions
were terrible and it made several obvious errors. Returned it the
next day. Anyone find a blocker that works?

There must be a better, more polite way to sell to (and cheat)
people.

I am using Ooma. Their Premier service is $10/mo and comes with
wildcard call blocking and NoMoRobo integration. http://www.ooma.com

I also have a program on my PC called PhoneTray Free, which works
with my voice modem. Prior to using Ooma, this was my primary method
of call blocking. With PhoneTray, the phone rings once or twice (I
set it to twice) so that the modem can collect the call info to
decide if the call should be zapped. I believe PhoneTray Free is no
longer available now, but the company has a pay program called
PhoneTray Pro for $30.
http://www.phonetray.com

The two of them work very well together, for example, Ooma can't
block by caller-id, but phonetray can. Belt and suspenders.

Dee
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dee wrote:
KenK wrote in
:

[...]

Phonetray Pro also as an annual charge of $9.99 but well worth it my opinion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Feb 2016 16:38:21 GMT, KenK wrote:

What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every night
between 8 and 9. My answering machine announces the numbers and they are
always the same. The answering machine answers, they hang up. Why call over
and over and ... Obviously I'm never going to pick up. They just enjoy
harassing people? Why do the phone companies let them get away wuth this?
Should be easy for the companies to spot them. I get other calls in the
mornings. All my friends that I asked have the same problems. Mine is an
unlisted number.

I tried a Pro Call Blocker through Amazon but the instructions were
terrible and it made several obvious errors. Returned it the next day.
Anyone find a blocker that works?

There must be a better, more polite way to sell to (and cheat) people.

I just bought several of the Panasonic cordless phones that let you block a
single number or a range of numbers. No more robo calls.

--

2/27/2016 4:12:46 PM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 10:27:28 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/26/2016 9:38 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Well, I think someone should shoot a few of them.

Or at least plant a story that several were killed.

time? fines? No, just a "bad reputation".

Meh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/26/2016 9:38 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

I just got an invitation to join a class action suit against a company
that abuses DNC. I sent back the card. Lets see.
I don't expect anything but who knows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 13:29:50 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Because there are no longer "just a handful" of telephone
companies! And, much of it is VoIP (how do you KNOW
where that caller is located?). Likewise, calls originating
overseas (do you really think all of those customer service
reps with those THICK accents are seated at desks in the USA?).

Yes, of course. The fact is they take native Americans and teach them
to talk with foreign accents, just so customers won't expect much when
they call Customer Service. It takes only 4 days to teach them an
accent, but they save an average of 6.4 hours every week not assisting
customers when they seem to not understand the questions.

After 5 weeks, it's pure profit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/26/2016 9:38 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Not as good as shooting them, but it's something. Let us know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/26/2016 9:38 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

I really expect I will get a check for a few bucks and the lawyers
will make millions but if it happened often enough the phone whores
might start paying attention to the DNC list.
I really wonder how many calls they have to make per sale but it has
to be thousands to one.
I know I see the number pop up on the tv (Dish supports caller ID), I
lift the receiver and drop it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 11:27:50 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/28/2016 10:33 AM, wrote:
I really expect I will get a check for a few bucks and the lawyers
will make millions but if it happened often enough the phone whores
might start paying attention to the DNC list.
I really wonder how many calls they have to make per sale but it has
to be thousands to one.
I know I see the number pop up on the tv (Dish supports caller ID), I
lift the receiver and drop it.

It would be amusing to design a semi-intelligent "time waster"
that answers the phone in a *toddler's* voice:
"Hellooooooooo?"
"Yada yada yada yada?"
"Um, I saw a dinosawwer on tha tee vee! Yeah, it was big and purple..."
"Yada yada yada yada..."
"Um, and he danced and, um I danced with him! Yeah!"
And see how long it takes for the caller to get infuriated and hang up!

It's one thing if you have to make 1000 calls and get voice mail 999.5
of the time -- no "real people" need be involved.

OTOH, some little tike that you're trying to convince to "give the
phone to mommy" would eat up actual "paid" time!

I have a friend who likes to talk to these people when he is stoned
and that is a lot. ;-)
He tries to see how long he can string one along before they get
frustrated and hang up on him. He keeps saying things like. "could you
repeat that, I didn't understand the something part".

I usually just tell them to perform some unnatural act on themselves
and hang up if I am tricked by the caller ID. Usually I just pick and
drop the phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2016 12:36 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 11:27:50 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/28/2016 10:33 AM,
wrote:
[...]

That;s why the toddler is so much more entertaining -- you
can't EXPECT "it" to be a rational participant in the
conversation. And, don't want to risk having *it* hang
up on you before you can trick it into giving the phone to
mommy (the toddler "vouches" for you, in a sense).

If I could fake a convincing chinese/swahili/polish/etc.
accent, I'd be tempted to f*ck with their heads ("No speaka
de inglish")

I usually just tell them to perform some unnatural act on themselves
and hang up if I am tricked by the caller ID. Usually I just pick and
drop the phone.

We just don't answer -- ANY calls! Saves the hassle of having
to hear it ring at all!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 12:57:42 PM UTC-6, Trol Odioso wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:38:21 +0000, KenK wrote:

I tried a Pro Call Blocker through Amazon but the instructions were
terrible and it made several obvious errors. Returned it the next day.
Anyone find a blocker that works?

There must be a better, more polite way to sell to (and cheat) people.

https://www.nomorobo.com/

Unfortunately, Nomorobo is not available on traditional analog landlines or wireless phones at this time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 1:51:26 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
On 2/28/2016 12:36 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 11:27:50 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/28/2016 10:33 AM,
wrote:
[...]

Why don't you try talking to them as though you're a stroke victim with severe aphasia. I do it sometimes when I need a good laugh. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Stroke Monster