Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Telemarketers sigh

On 3/5/2016 6:30 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Don Y:
http://www.gilliamhearingcenter.com/Wife_hearing_aid.jpg

That's right up there with my neighbor-the-lawyer's phrase "Male pattern
deafness".

grin And, as damn near every man knows, one "discussion"
you absolutely NEVER get suckered into:

"You never hear me when I'm talking to you"

"I *told* you that already!"

"Are you listening to me?"

The device must remain a SECRET for it to be EFFECTIVE!! :

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2016 6:33 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Don Y:
Yup. Lots of people go bat-sh*t crazy in "silent" houses -- unable
to avoid that "tinnitis" (sp). Instead, relying on some sort of
masking sound to push the ringing out of their conscious mind.

Thankfully I am not one of those.

We tend to have background "noise" around us much of the day: music
playing, movies, news, etc. SWMBO has a bit of it so this helps
her "ignore" it.

But I had a windsurfing acquaintance that killed himself over it. Had
a string of firecrackers go off basically in one of his ears... lived
with the tinnitus for a year or two and the did himself in. Super
tragic because he was such a decent, intelligent guy.

I don't think many of us can understand what something truly "chronic"
can be like -- *no* relief -- whether it's ringing in the ears, pain,
etc.

I suspect we all have our assortments of aches-and-pains (some of which
may, in fact, be "chronic") but the fact that we *can* live with them
suggests there's an entirely different threshold beyond which it just
becomes maddening.

I had a repeat bout with chicken pox a year or so ago (apparently, many
of those "I've-already-had-it-so-I'm-safe" childhood diseases can reoffend!)
In my case, the palms of both hands were most seriously affected (I could
"treat" other parts of my body but your palms are damn near impossible
to scratch, anesthesize, etc.). It was maddening to NOT be able to do
anything with that persistent itch: "Yeah, I know it's only temporary...
but I'm tired of it already!!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2016 9:59 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 03/04/2016 01:07 PM, Don Y wrote:

[snip]

Yup. Lots of people go bat-sh*t crazy in "silent" houses -- unable
to avoid that "tinnitis" (sp). Instead, relying on some sort of
masking sound to push the ringing out of their conscious mind.

The high-pitched "sound of silence". There's also the physical 50Hz/60Hz hum
from all the electrical equipment.

My pet-peeve is fan noise! Several of my machines are servers.
Servers being known for "move lots of air to keep reliability up".

And, the smaller ones (physical size -- e.g., 1U and 2U chassis)
have little tiny fans so they just SCREAM as they try to pull air
through that slim case!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote in news:nbcm9t$2qr$1@dont-
email.me:

Yup. Lots of people go bat-sh*t crazy in "silent" houses -- unable
to avoid that "tinnitis" (sp). Instead, relying on some sort of
masking sound to push the ringing out of their conscious mind.

I've had it since the mid-50s. Got in in the National Guard from AA gun
firing. For many years now I don't hear it unless I listen for it. My mind
just ignores it. Maybe I'm just fortunate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Don Y:

I had a repeat bout with chicken pox a year or so ago (apparently, many
of those "I've-already-had-it-so-I'm-safe" childhood diseases can reoffend!)

Unsolicited advice #3,471: Even if it costs you a thousand dollars, get
the shingles shot.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2016 12:55 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Don Y:

I had a repeat bout with chicken pox a year or so ago (apparently, many
of those "I've-already-had-it-so-I'm-safe" childhood diseases can reoffend!)

Unsolicited advice #3,471: Even if it costs you a thousand dollars, get
the shingles shot.

Yeah, I've got that, pneumonia and hep-c testing on the list
for my next MD visit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2016 11:12 AM, KenK wrote:
Don Y wrote in news:nbcm9t$2qr$1@dont-
email.me:

Yup. Lots of people go bat-sh*t crazy in "silent" houses -- unable
to avoid that "tinnitis" (sp). Instead, relying on some sort of
masking sound to push the ringing out of their conscious mind.

I've had it since the mid-50s.

Since *your* mid-50's (age)? Or, since the mid 1950's?

Got in in the National Guard from AA gun firing.

It is ... "educational"... to see how many things have changed
over the years wrt safety, prevention, etc. I guess one good thing
the ambulance chasers have done for us -- indirectly!

For many years now I don't hear it unless I listen for it. My mind
just ignores it. Maybe I'm just fortunate.

I think a lot depends on other "engagements" with which your conscious is
involved. I.e., "bored" you fixate on the things that INTRUDE into your
conscious. OTOH, *engaged* you tend to push away distractions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2016 10:47 AM, KenK wrote:

Yup. Lots of people go bat-sh*t crazy in "silent" houses -- unable
to avoid that "tinnitis" (sp). Instead, relying on some sort of
masking sound to push the ringing out of their conscious mind.

I've had it since the mid-50s.

Since *your* mid-50's (age)? Or, since the mid 1950's?

1950s.

Ouch! Long time to listen to someone whistling that *one* note!
Be thankful it wasn't an ear worm! :

My condolences...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in
:

Per Don Y:

I had a repeat bout with chicken pox a year or so ago (apparently,
many of those "I've-already-had-it-so-I'm-safe" childhood diseases can
reoffend!)

Unsolicited advice #3,471: Even if it costs you a thousand dollars,
get the shingles shot.

I wonder if you can get it twice? You know?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2016 12:48 PM, KenK wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in
:

Per Don Y:

I had a repeat bout with chicken pox a year or so ago (apparently,
many of those "I've-already-had-it-so-I'm-safe" childhood diseases can
reoffend!)

Unsolicited advice #3,471: Even if it costs you a thousand dollars,
get the shingles shot.

I wonder if you can get it twice? You know?

Yes. Even if you had the shingles once it is recommended to get the
shot. Wife got them and we since both got the shot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per KenK:
Unsolicited advice #3,471: Even if it costs you a thousand dollars,
get the shingles shot.

I wonder if you can get it twice? You know?

My #2 daughter works in a managed care facility and has seen it happen
firsthand.

One of the NIMH web pages calls recurrences "Rare"
(http://tinyurl.com/zm2eypr) but I have seen numbers as high as 20%.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-03-07, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per KenK:
Unsolicited advice #3,471: Even if it costs you a thousand dollars,
get the shingles shot.

I wonder if you can get it twice? You know?

My #2 daughter works in a managed care facility and has seen it happen
firsthand.

One of the NIMH web pages calls recurrences "Rare"
(http://tinyurl.com/zm2eypr) but I have seen numbers as high as 20%.

Next time, explain WTF yer talking about! If not fer the link, Ida
never known. Coulda been chilblains, fer all I know.

nb