Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Blocking telemarketers

I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/08/14 06:24 pm, philo wrote:

I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

But what happens when numbers are spoofed? A few days ago I had a
robocall from "Card Services," but the number that showed up in the
Caller ID was a local number just two digits different from my own. I
called them, but of course they were not the ones who had called me.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/08/14 06:24 pm, philo wrote:

I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

But what happens when numbers are spoofed? A few days ago I had a
robocall from "Card Services," but the number that showed up in the
Caller ID was a local number just two digits different from my own. I
called them, but of course they were not the ones who had called me.

Perce

A spoof call? That really sucks.

I checked my caller ID and all the ones from Card Services were from the
same area code and prefix and no spoofs thus far.

I am sure this "nomorobo" could not deal with spoofs.

I also decided to report every call to the FTC but seriously doubt if
that will do anything.

Should they manage to get through here again, I'll press "9" to talk to
someone and as soon as they come on...ask them to hold, then set the
phone down and walk away.

It won't stop them but it may slow them down for a few seconds and get
them as ****ed off as I am.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Also:

Found this

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/caller-id-and-spoofing

If I get a spoofed call I will report it at for sure.

Again I doubt if it will do any good...but if enough people report...it
just may help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

many of those calls are from overseas, the caller can generate ANY caller ID number they want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 17:24:58 -0600, philo* wrote:

I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

Great, but it says it does not have coverage for ATT traditional land
line. Do you have U-Verse?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/08/2014 06:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 17:24:58 -0600, philo wrote:

I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

Great, but it says it does not have coverage for ATT traditional land
line. Do you have U-Verse?

Yes, I have U-Verse

Phone and Internet (no TV)

Too bad it does not handle traditional.

I just made the switch less than a year ago.

It's not quite as reliable .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/08/2014 06:47 PM, bob haller wrote:
many of those calls are from overseas, the caller can generate ANY caller ID number they want.

yep, but thus far I have not gotten any such calls.

Before too long I will probably get rid of my land line entirely
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 5:24 PM, philo wrote:
I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

I would also sign up for it but my carrier does not have simultaneous
ringing as part of their service which is required by nomorbobo.com.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08 Mar 2014, philo* wrote in alt.home.repair:

On 03/08/2014 06:47 PM, bob haller wrote:
many of those calls are from overseas, the caller can generate
ANY caller ID number they want.

yep, but thus far I have not gotten any such calls.

How do you know? Nearly all the numbers that you see from robocallers
are spoofed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 8, 2014 5:24:58 PM UTC-6, philo* wrote:
I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in

my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

robo callers follow no rules and cell providers offer NO blockage .

Get a google phone number for all correspondences ... have it send a IM or email for missed calls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 19:43:27 -0600, IGot2P wrote:

On 3/8/2014 5:24 PM, philo wrote:
I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

I would also sign up for it but my carrier does not have simultaneous
ringing as part of their service which is required by nomorbobo.com.

Why do they want you to email to find out if they can cover you.
There are only about 30 possible answers. Why not tell the person now?

Are they harvesting email addresses? And later phone numbers?
Senior Member

I was selected for a free all expense paid trip for two to the Bahamas about 4 or 5 times last week. I just put the receiver down and walk away. I'm hoping that screws up their automatic dialer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 8:03 PM, Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBillie on welfare wrote:

I just plain had enough of that crap.

robo callers follow no rules and cell providers offer NO blockage .

Get a google phone number for all correspondences ... have it send a IM or email for missed calls.

My wife gets NO robo calls on her cell phone

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 8:01 PM, Nil wrote:
On 08 Mar 2014, philo wrote in alt.home.repair:

On 03/08/2014 06:47 PM, bob haller wrote:
many of those calls are from overseas, the caller can generate
ANY caller ID number they want.

yep, but thus far I have not gotten any such calls.

How do you know? Nearly all the numbers that you see from robocallers
are spoofed.

the numbers do not fit the spoof profile mentioned elsewhere

moot point though as it looks like it's working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 7:57 PM, philo wrote:

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

Great, but it says it does not have coverage for ATT traditional land
line. Do you have U-Verse?

Yes, I have U-Verse

Phone and Internet (no TV)

I've been getting letters from ATT to get me to switch. ATT in CT is
selling off the regular landline business and keeping the U-verse

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 9:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Phone and Internet (no TV)

I've been getting letters from ATT to get me to switch. ATT in CT is
selling off the regular landline business and keeping the U-verse

I'm happy with the service. Internet connection is pretty fast...but
occasionally the connection drops. It only cuts out for half a minute a
few times a week...but once or twice it dropped a phone call.

That has never happened in all the years I've used a wired
connection...but I'm sure when my contract is up for renewal I'll drop
the land line and get a cell phone.

Even my 87 year old mother has an iphone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 22:14:10 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/8/2014 7:57 PM, philo wrote:

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

Great, but it says it does not have coverage for ATT traditional land
line. Do you have U-Verse?

Yes, I have U-Verse

Phone and Internet (no TV)

I've been getting letters from ATT to get me to switch. ATT in CT is
selling off the regular landline business and keeping the U-verse

I dont think I've had any U-verse since I got a front engine car, but I
do have constant velocity joints.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 21:20:37 -0600, philo** wrote:

On 3/8/2014 9:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Phone and Internet (no TV)

I've been getting letters from ATT to get me to switch. ATT in CT is
selling off the regular landline business and keeping the U-verse

I'm happy with the service. Internet connection is pretty fast...but
occasionally the connection drops. It only cuts out for half a minute a
few times a week...but once or twice it dropped a phone call.

That has never happened in all the years I've used a wired
connection...but I'm sure when my contract is up for renewal I'll drop
the land line and get a cell phone.

Even my 87 year old mother has an iphone.

She's called an imother.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 17:24:58 -0600, philoÂ* wrote:

I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

Since I put my number on the national "do not call" list in 2003 I
don't get calls from "for profits."
Doesn't stop "charities."
I never hear the actual call.
There's always a hesitation before they connect.
I just hang up.
If they manage to connect, I say "Sorry, not interested."
And hang up,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 10:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I've been getting letters from ATT to get me to switch.
ATT in CT is selling off the regular landline business and keeping the U-verse

I saw that press release too but am confused by it.

If ATT sells off their copper landlines, how will they deliver the uverse signal?

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

Hmmm,
I just read the caller id. when phone rings, if it is unknown to me, I
just lift the hand set and hang up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

noname writes:

On 3/8/2014 10:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I've been getting letters from ATT to get me to switch.
ATT in CT is selling off the regular landline business and keeping the U-verse

I saw that press release too but am confused by it.

If ATT sells off their copper landlines, how will they deliver the
uverse signal?

Fiber optics.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 01:02:56 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

noname writes:

On 3/8/2014 10:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I've been getting letters from ATT to get me to switch.
ATT in CT is selling off the regular landline business and keeping the U-verse

I saw that press release too but am confused by it.

If ATT sells off their copper landlines, how will they deliver the
uverse signal?

Fiber optics.

Nope, not here. We can get U-verse but there is not a fiber optic
within 20 miles. None expected either. ATT was expanding the fiber in
our direction but stopped the project a few years back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote: "I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap. "

Thanks for sharing that link. Unfortunately, donotcall.gov does not cover "robocalls". Frustrating, isn't it! My land line and cellphone EACH ring 15-20x per day, and only 1-2 of those calls are somebody I know(wife, aunt, etc.).

I will look into that link though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/08/2014 10:11 PM, noname wrote:
On 3/8/2014 10:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I've been getting letters from ATT to get me to switch.
ATT in CT is selling off the regular landline business and keeping

the U-verse

I saw that press release too but am confused by it.

If ATT sells off their copper landlines, how will they deliver the
uverse signal?

I thunk they use cable , they simply send the digital signal from the
pole to the house using the same two wires the analog phone originally used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default correction:

as answered elsewhere...fiber
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 5:24 PM, philo wrote:
I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

I would also sign up for it but my carrier does not have simultaneous
ringing as part of their service which is required by nomorbobo.com.

Why do they want you to email to find out if they can cover you.
There are only about 30 possible answers. Why not tell the person now?

Are they harvesting email addresses? And later phone numbers?

It's a free service...I would not be surprised if one day I'll get an
email informing me they want a fee for their service.

If it works and if I do not get a cell phone, believe me I'd pay for it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/08/2014 10:08 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 17:24:58 -0600, philo wrote:

I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

Since I put my number on the national "do not call" list in 2003 I
don't get calls from "for profits."
Doesn't stop "charities."
I never hear the actual call.
There's always a hesitation before they connect.
I just hang up.
If they manage to connect, I say "Sorry, not interested."
And hang up,

I double checked and I'm still on the "no call" list
but places like "Card Services" ignore it.

I reported them to the FTC as it's got to be illegal.

If I do take a robo call, since there is always a delay I just hang up
at once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/08/2014 11:00 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
philo wrote:
I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

Hmmm,
I just read the caller id. when phone rings, if it is unknown to me, I
just lift the hand set and hang up.

I only have one phone with caller ID on it and am not always near that
one when it rings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 10:05 PM, philo wrote:

My wife gets NO robo calls on her cell phone

Over the last couple days I've gotten several
political survey calls on my cell phone. Six
or so.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2014 06:31 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/8/2014 10:05 PM, philo wrote:

My wife gets NO robo calls on her cell phone

Over the last couple days I've gotten several
political survey calls on my cell phone. Six
or so.

I had a company cell phone when I was still working...
I think I'd get maybe one or two robo calls a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2014 05:10 AM, wrote:
philo wrote: "I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap. "

Thanks for sharing that link. Unfortunately, donotcall.gov does not cover "robocalls". Frustrating, isn't it! My land line and cellphone EACH ring 15-20x per day, and only 1-2 of those calls are somebody I know(wife, aunt, etc.).

I will look into that link though.

I sure hope it works for you. If I got as many robo calls as you did I'd
be ****ed. It is disgusting that the " do not call" list is useless.

AT&T offered to give me another phone number (which of course would get
the calls too)

If their call blocking service had "wild cards" it would be useful
as the vast majority of the calls I get are from Card Services and they
all have the same area code and prefix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tracking down robocalls is something the NSA could actually help with.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

noname writes:

On 3/8/2014 10:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I've been getting letters from ATT to get me to switch.
ATT in CT is selling off the regular landline business and keeping the U-verse

I saw that press release too but am confused by it.

If ATT sells off their copper landlines, how will they deliver the
uverse signal?

Fiber optics.

Nope, not here. We can get U-verse but there is not a fiber optic
within 20 miles. None expected either. ATT was expanding the fiber in
our direction but stopped the project a few years back.

The question seemed to be about how Uverse is delivered, not where or
when.

Anyway, I'm a FIOS customer which is always Fiber To The Premises (FTTP).
I looked up Uverse and found that you may keep the copper, you may not:

U-verse service is delivered over a fiber-to-the-node (FTTN) or
fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) communications network. In the more
common FTTN deployment, all data (internet, IPTV, and voice over IP)
between the service provider and a distribution node is carried by
fiber-optic connections. The remaining run from the node to the
network interface device in the customer's home using a copper-wire
loop that was traditionally part of the PSTN (public switched
telephone network). In subdivisions constructed more recently, an FTTP
deployment is used, where the fiber-optic cable is run from the
service-provider's DSLAM all the way to an optical network terminal in
the customer's home.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2014 10:17 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

snip
U-verse service is delivered over a fiber-to-the-node (FTTN) or
fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) communications network. In the more
common FTTN deployment, all data (internet, IPTV, and voice over IP)
between the service provider and a distribution node is carried by
fiber-optic connections. The remaining run from the node to the
network interface device in the customer's home using a copper-wire
loop that was traditionally part of the PSTN (public switched
telephone network). In subdivisions constructed more recently, an FTTP
deployment is used, where the fiber-optic cable is run from the
service-provider's DSLAM all the way to an optical network terminal in
the customer's home.

What they do around here is just send the signal into the house using
the existing phone wires. I'm sure it saves AT&T some time and
money...and since it's a very short run does not hurt the bandwidth.

I run periodic speed tests and usually get what I'm paying for...but
from time to time they don't throttle the speed and I get speeds about
three times what I've signed up for.

BTW: As far as this "nomorobo" goes...it's now been 48 hours and only
one robo call got through. I'd normally have had at least six by now.