Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Default OT Blocking telemarketers

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 03/08/14 06:24 pm, philo wrote:

I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

But what happens when numbers are spoofed? A few days ago I had a robocall
from "Card Services," but the number that showed up in the Caller ID was a
local number just two digits different from my own. I called them, but of
course they were not the ones who had called me.

This is how I discourage humans that call uninvited:

http://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Safety-...words=AIR+HORN

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 9:05 PM, philo wrote:
On 3/8/2014 8:03 PM, Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBillie on welfare wrote:

I just plain had enough of that crap.

robo callers follow no rules and cell providers offer NO blockage .

Get a google phone number for all correspondences ... have it send a
IM or email for missed calls.

My wife gets NO robo calls on her cell phone

No reason the scams and jerks won't move to cell phones, and I assume
they are.

Do-not-call has eliminated most of the calls from legitimate businesses
- I get very few of those calls. I think there is a loophole they can
use - not trying to sell you anything on that call.

Some of the card services type operations have been taken down by the
feds. More spring up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2014 11:33 AM, philo wrote:
On 03/09/2014 10:17 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

snip
U-verse service is delivered over a fiber-to-the-node (FTTN) or
fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) communications network. In the more
common FTTN deployment, all data (internet, IPTV, and voice over IP)
between the service provider and a distribution node is carried by
fiber-optic connections. The remaining run from the node to the
network interface device in the customer's home using a copper-wire
loop that was traditionally part of the PSTN (public switched
telephone network). In subdivisions constructed more recently, an FTTP
deployment is used, where the fiber-optic cable is run from the
service-provider's DSLAM all the way to an optical network terminal in
the customer's home.

What they do around here is just send the signal into the house using
the existing phone wires. I'm sure it saves AT&T some time and
money...and since it's a very short run does not hurt the bandwidth.

That makes sense to use copper to the house, but there is no fiber in
our town. We cannot get the TV service either, just phone and internet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2014 12:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What they do around here is just send the signal into the house using
the existing phone wires. I'm sure it saves AT&T some time and
money...and since it's a very short run does not hurt the bandwidth.

That makes sense to use copper to the house, but there is no fiber in
our town. We cannot get the TV service either, just phone and internet.

That would be fine with me, I tossed my TV 25 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/14 10:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've been getting letters from ATT to get me to switch. ATT
in CT is selling off the regular landline business and
keeping the U-verse

Just wondering -- if ATT is selling the landline business,
who are they selling it -TO- ??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/14 12:26 PM, philo wrote:
Except for the times I'm expecting a call, I could probably
just turn the phone ringers off and let the answering
machine just pick up the calls.

Yours is one of the best solutions.

I never was interested in caller ID -- UNTIL we got it by
default with AT&T Uverse. Now I think it's great.

If you call my house, you talk to an answering machine, period.
The only exception will be if I recognize your number or
name on the caller ID (or tv screen, which displays incoming
caller ID's as well).
MAYBE I will call you back. A lot of times, I don't even
bother. And that's even with folks I -know-.

I have Uverse set to block -ALL- calls from outside the USA.
There won't be any foreign-generated calls even ringing at
this house.

I use the Uverse "call forwarding" feature to direct some
numbers I don't want to hear from, to a "dead number".
Actually it's my cell phone number (read on).

By the way, I have a cheap ($30 for the entire year, you
read that correctly) cell phone for emergencies. Neither you
or anyone else on earth can call me on it, because it's
ALWAYS turned off. That's why I can direct numbers to it,
that will ring forever.

As you may understand by now, I don't want to speak to you
(or very few others) on the phone... !!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 7:57 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/08/2014 06:47 PM, bob haller wrote:
many of those calls are from overseas, the caller can generate ANY
caller ID number they want.

yep, but thus far I have not gotten any such calls.

Before too long I will probably get rid of my land line entirely

Even get them on my cell. 'Do not call lists' are useless, nationwide
or state. I'm beginning to believe the crooked politicians are selling
the lists!

Frickin card services and robo calls that claim they are delivering 'a
public service' !

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2014 4:32 PM, John Albert wrote:
On 3/8/14 10:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've been getting letters from ATT to get me to switch. ATT
in CT is selling off the regular landline business and
keeping the U-verse

Just wondering -- if ATT is selling the landline business, who are they
selling it -TO- ??

You, if you can come up with $2Billion.

Otherwise Frontier
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9BG0KC20131217

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2014 03:41 PM, John Albert wrote:

Yours is one of the best solutions.

I never was interested in caller ID -- UNTIL we got it by default with
AT&T Uverse. Now I think it's great.

What gave me a good laugh was that my answering machine has caller ID
but I had been using it for over two years before I even realized it!

If you call my house, you talk to an answering machine, period.
The only exception will be if I recognize your number or name on the
caller ID (or tv screen, which displays incoming caller ID's as well).
MAYBE I will call you back. A lot of times, I don't even bother. And
that's even with folks I -know-.

I have Uverse set to block -ALL- calls from outside the USA. There won't
be any foreign-generated calls even ringing at this house.

Hmm, I am going to go on-line and check my options from Uverse.

Probably a lot I don't even know about.

I use the Uverse "call forwarding" feature to direct some numbers I
don't want to hear from, to a "dead number". Actually it's my cell phone
number (read on).

By the way, I have a cheap ($30 for the entire year, you read that
correctly) cell phone for emergencies. Neither you or anyone else on
earth can call me on it, because it's ALWAYS turned off. That's why I
can direct numbers to it, that will ring forever.

As you may understand by now, I don't want to speak to you (or very few
others) on the phone... !!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 9:57 PM, philo wrote:

yes, something like that might actually be fun.

If I get any more calls, I think I'll just do my best to waste as much
of their time as possible.

I consider it a favor to the next victim,
when I keep a marketer on the phone.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08 Mar 2014, philo** wrote in
alt.home.repair:

the numbers do not fit the spoof profile mentioned elsewhere

I didn't see any profile mentioned, but based on my experience and from
what I've read, almost every illegal robocall displays a faked phone
number. Sometimes those numbers actually belong to someone else who
didn't make the call.

moot point though as it looks like it's working.

I'm glad that it's working out for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2014 11:46 PM, Nil wrote:
On 08 Mar 2014, philo wrote in
alt.home.repair:

the numbers do not fit the spoof profile mentioned elsewhere

I didn't see any profile mentioned, but based on my experience and from
what I've read, almost every illegal robocall displays a faked phone
number. Sometimes those numbers actually belong to someone else who
didn't make the call.

Card Services has so many lines they don't bother to cover their tracks.
They make more robo calls than all the others combined and if I was only
able to block their calls an no more I'd have been happy.

moot point though as it looks like it's working.

I'm glad that it's working out for you.

It's very close to three days now and only one robo call.

That might have been because I picked up right away.

I went back to read more about "nomorobo" and they said to allow one
full ring . They apparently have been blocking most of them before I
even hear the ring.

Also: I went back to my AT&T account and see they have a number of
filtering features I never even knew about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per John:
Even get them on my cell. 'Do not call lists' are useless, nationwide
or state. I'm beginning to believe the crooked politicians are selling
the lists!

I have a small stack of lame-sounding letters from the Pennsylvania DA's
office to the effect that "We can't do anything about your complaint
because these guys are going offshore and/or using VOIP".

I'm no legal expert, but I'd think that if they were serious about their
mission, they'd have honey-pot credit cards and people waiting for
Rachel's call. Get down to the point where money changes hands, and go
get 'em.

Somebody who claimed to have worked in the industry said that they have
a 'Do-not-call-really' list of politician's phone numbers - so they
don't irritate the wrong people.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2014 8:14 AM, philo wrote:
On 03/09/2014 11:46 PM, Nil wrote:
On 08 Mar 2014, philo wrote in
alt.home.repair:

the numbers do not fit the spoof profile mentioned elsewhere

I didn't see any profile mentioned, but based on my experience and from
what I've read, almost every illegal robocall displays a faked phone
number. Sometimes those numbers actually belong to someone else who
didn't make the call.

Card Services has so many lines they don't bother to cover their tracks.
They make more robo calls than all the others combined and if I was
only able to block their calls an no more I'd have been happy.

That's because Card Services is a scam run by many many different con
artists. The people working for the scammers who run the operation
eventually figure out that they can go into the same business for
themselves. Which they do, using the same script and fake company
name. It's not as if the crook they were working for is going to sue
them for stealing their idea. Especially when they're all working in
different countries, anyway.

That's the thing to remember: it doesn't matter what number appears on
the Caller ID, they are almost always putting up a fake phone number,
and they are based outside the US. It makes it much more difficult for
the FCC to go after them, since they're outside the FCC's
jurisdiction. Especially with regard to Card Services, it's an endless
game of whack-a-mole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2014 3:52 PM, John wrote:
On 3/8/2014 7:57 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/08/2014 06:47 PM, bob haller wrote:
many of those calls are from overseas, the caller can generate ANY
caller ID number they want.

yep, but thus far I have not gotten any such calls.

Before too long I will probably get rid of my land line entirely

Even get them on my cell. 'Do not call lists' are useless, nationwide
or state.

Well, DUH. These are coming from criminal operations. Do you expect
burglars to honor a "keep out" sign posted on your front door?

The do not call lists were designed to block unwanted calls from
*legitimate* companies calling to drum up business. Most of the major
companies and many local companies honor those lists. Crooks laugh at
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/10/2014 09:10 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

That's because Card Services is a scam run by many many different con
artists. The people working for the scammers who run the operation
eventually figure out that they can go into the same business for
themselves. Which they do, using the same script and fake company name.
It's not as if the crook they were working for is going to sue them for
stealing their idea. Especially when they're all working in different
countries, anyway.

That's the thing to remember: it doesn't matter what number appears on
the Caller ID, they are almost always putting up a fake phone number,
and they are based outside the US. It makes it much more difficult for
the FCC to go after them, since they're outside the FCC's jurisdiction.
Especially with regard to Card Services, it's an endless game of
whack-a-mole.

I have no way to test this now as the robo calls have ceased entirely
but my AT&T account gives me the ability to block /all/ overseas calls...
but I have not enabled that option
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 10, 2014 9:57:37 AM UTC-7, philo* wrote:
[...]

It got so bad, I contacted my Congressman's local office. A staffer asked me to send in some of the numbers and they would do ? with the FCC. The frequency did decrease for a while, but is ramping up. I will contact Congressman's office again.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/10/2014 12:23 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I have no way to test this now as the robo calls have ceased entirely

but my AT&T account gives me the ability to block /all/ overseas calls...

but I have not enabled that option

It got so bad, I contacted my Congressman's local office. A staffer asked me to send in some of the numbers and they would do ? with the FCC. The frequency did decrease for a while, but is ramping up. I will contact Congressman's office again.

HB

I made the assumption there is no way within the legal system to handle
this....but I did file complaints with the FTC

My guess is that the calls are all coming from individual free-lancers
rather than any such organization as "Card Services"

So, if I only get one call from any one person there is probably no way
they could easily be prosecuted.

So glad it's stopped now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2014 11:46 PM, Nil wrote:

[snip]

I didn't see any profile mentioned, but based on my experience and from
what I've read, almost every illegal robocall displays a faked phone
number. Sometimes those numbers actually belong to someone else who
didn't make the call.

Obvious fakes. A lot of the calls I get have the Caller ID "name" field
set to the same thing as "number". Sometimes, it's "V" followed by a
bunch of digits.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Loyalty to a petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human
soul." [Mark Twain]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Mar 2014, Mark Lloyd wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Obvious fakes. A lot of the calls I get have the Caller ID "name"
field set to the same thing as "number". Sometimes, it's "V"
followed by a bunch of digits.

I've been keeping a manual log spreadsheet of junk calls for the past
couple of years. Volume is actually way down lately from its last peak
about 6 months ago. Some of the recent ones include the V-number thing
you mention:

number caller ID description
717-203-8889 Albright Amber Card Member Services
360-322-6708 Marysville WA Credit card scammer
978-664-5909 North Reading MA Diamond Plumbing & Heating
971-208-9936 Salem OR energy savings
212-660-5351 New York NY medical alert scam
12-022-0404 unknown Indian computer repair scammer
857-776-3089 Children's Cance bogus charity
202-769-0477 POLLRSRCH13 "political call"
202-817-2940 Washington DC
212-660-5351 New York NY medical alert scam
585-362-4105 Volt Delta LLC verifying phone number
202-769-0477 POLLRSRCH13 "political call"
706-805-1788 Unknown selling solar panels
202-817-2940 V22618251300482 donations
717-608-7443 Cell Phone PA lower interest rate
202-817-2940 V22618251300482 donations
202-817-2940 V30319095500482 donations
877-218-8360 800 Service Childrens Cancer Recovery
951-256-6169 Gray Karen Card Services

Most of the phone numbers only occur once and I never see them again.
That's why it's not useful to use my phone service's "block number"
feature. Every once in a while the same number will keep calling again
over a period of time - at that time I block the number. I'm sure that
number would stop being used eventually, anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 10, 2014 5:25:42 PM UTC-7, Nil wrote:
[...]

Hah another one like me! On advice of my Congressman's office, I also kept a list. Just threw it away the other day.

The calls I get a LOT these days are less from telemarketers than from locals: contractors, plumbers, handymen -- all related to house repairs. I try to be polite, but sometimes they don't get the message to take me off their lists. I know they're trying to make a buck, but at the same time they're invading my privacy. I must get more determined about not answering unknowns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Mar 2014, Higgs Boson wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Hah another one like me! On advice of my Congressman's office, I
also kept a list. Just threw it away the other day.

I started my list because I was curious if I could detect any patterns
in the calls. Also to see what numbers, if any, recurred so I could
block them. I do find a few numbers that can be blocked, but the
majority of them occur only once so blocking isn't effective.

The calls I get a LOT these days are less from telemarketers than
from locals: contractors, plumbers, handymen -- all related to
house repairs. I try to be polite, but sometimes they don't get
the message to take me off their lists. I know they're trying to
make a buck, but at the same time they're invading my privacy. I
must get more determined about not answering unknowns.

It goes in waves, but lately almost all the calls I get are about
'lowering my credit rate', 'medical alert systems', 'Children's Cancer
Recovery', and solar panels. They all display far-away area codes. I
occasionally get local calls from someone trying to sell me chimney
sweep services (though I have no fireplace). There's one call I kept
getting which seemed to be from a real local plumbing company with a
real number, but when I researched it it appears that the company is
actually out of business, so someone else must have appropriated their
number. I've never actually answered their call to see what it is
they're selling. That number is now blocked, anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:00:24 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

I know they're trying to make a buck, but at the same time they're invading my privacy.

Your right to privacy is limited by rulings from SCOTUS.

I must get more determined about not answering unknowns.

Doh
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 6:24 PM, philo wrote:
I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

I should also sign up. Thanks for the link.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Blocking telemarketers bleep them

micky posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I dont think I've had any U-verse since I got a front engine car, but I
do have constant velocity joints.

Do you get the munchies as bad as a regular joint?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/12/2014 07:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/8/2014 6:24 PM, philo wrote:
I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in
my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

I just plain had enough of that crap.

I should also sign up. Thanks for the link.

Hope it works for you as well as it does here....it's amazing now to
only get phone calls from people I actually know