Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Telemarketers sigh

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 2:03:44 PM UTC-6, Frank wrote:
On 2/26/2016 2:42 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 10:38:26 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every night
between 8 and 9. My answering machine announces the numbers and they are
always the same. The answering machine answers, they hang up. Why call over
and over and ... Obviously I'm never going to pick up. They just enjoy
harassing people? Why do the phone companies let them get away wuth this?
Should be easy for the companies to spot them. I get other calls in the
mornings. All my friends that I asked have the same problems. Mine is an
unlisted number.

I tried a Pro Call Blocker through Amazon but the instructions were
terrible and it made several obvious errors. Returned it the next day.
Anyone find a blocker that works?

There must be a better, more polite way to sell to (and cheat) people.
--

Me and my brothers use telepests as a source of entertainment. When I was at home the last time and the phone rang with a telepest on the line, I answered as a crazed screaming Chinaman and threatened to hunt them down and wok their eyeballs. I often answer as the FBI, DEA or Gay and Lesbian Hotline. I have fun answering as a stroke victim with severe aphasia or a mental patient (not difficult for me). At one time, I had sound effects setup on my computer connected to a 40w sound system. I would pick up the phone and yell into it asking who it was then yell STFU at a sound effect of a woman screaming "NO! NO!" followed by a shotgun blast. I'd yell into the phone,"LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!" then hang up. I love to frak with telepests. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Crazed Monster

Me too. I've had some memorable moments. Wish I had recorded them.
Lots of profanity and racial slurs. I even had them call me back to ask
why I said that. Last was, "Why you call me a ****ing Indian?"

One of my roommates was a nice guy from Southern India. We're both Southerners so I guess that's why we got along. He told me of calling tech support and reaching a call center in India. When he spoke to the guy in Hindi, the CSA stopped him and told him he was only allowed to speak English because all the calls were monitored. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Pesky Monster