Posted to alt.home.repair
Arnie Goetchius[_2_] Arnie Goetchius[_2_] is offline

Default Telemarketers sigh

Dee wrote:
KenK wrote in
:

What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every
night between 8 and 9. My answering machine announces the numbers
and they are always the same. The answering machine answers, they
hang up. Why call over and over and ... Obviously I'm never going
to pick up. They just enjoy harassing people? Why do the phone
companies let them get away wuth this? Should be easy for the
companies to spot them. I get other calls in the mornings. All my
friends that I asked have the same problems. Mine is an unlisted
number.

I tried a Pro Call Blocker through Amazon but the instructions
were terrible and it made several obvious errors. Returned it the
next day. Anyone find a blocker that works?

There must be a better, more polite way to sell to (and cheat)
people.

I am using Ooma. Their Premier service is $10/mo and comes with
wildcard call blocking and NoMoRobo integration. http://www.ooma.com

I also have a program on my PC called PhoneTray Free, which works
with my voice modem. Prior to using Ooma, this was my primary method
of call blocking. With PhoneTray, the phone rings once or twice (I
set it to twice) so that the modem can collect the call info to
decide if the call should be zapped. I believe PhoneTray Free is no
longer available now, but the company has a pay program called
PhoneTray Pro for $30.
http://www.phonetray.com

The two of them work very well together, for example, Ooma can't
block by caller-id, but phonetray can. Belt and suspenders.

Dee

Phonetray Pro also as an annual charge of $9.99 but well worth it my opinion.