Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Car AC/Heater systems

Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton,

Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

No.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2016 7:13 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

NO. it just moves a door to mix in some warmer air. Aside from that,
the AC in cars today is very efficient and makes little difference to
the mpg. Comfort is more important that a tiny difference in fuel cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2016 7:13 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

You already know the answer but just an FYI, driving with windows open
will produce a bigger drag and decrease mileage than using the AC.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 20:25:21 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

On 2/24/2016 7:13 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

You already know the answer but just an FYI, driving with windows open
will produce a bigger drag and decrease mileage than using the AC.

I've had my windows closed since 1967!!! Can't stand wind noise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/24/2016 7:13 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

You already know the answer but just an FYI, driving with windows open
will produce a bigger drag and decrease mileage than using the AC.

I've had my windows closed since 1967!!! Can't stand wind noise.

Much of the time, I drive with the top down and the windows closed.

Much quieter with the windows closed, especially if cars are next to
you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/24/2016 7:13 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

You already know the answer but just an FYI, driving with windows open
will produce a bigger drag and decrease mileage than using the AC.

I've had my windows closed since 1967!!! Can't stand wind noise.

Same here. Love climate control, just never think about it any more.
Maybe once or twice a year I'll open the windows for a short ride.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/24/2016 7:13 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

NO. it just moves a door to mix in some warmer air. Aside from that, the
AC in cars today is very efficient and makes little difference to the
mpg. Comfort is more important that a tiny difference in fuel cost.

All my smaller cars show acceleration decrease with compressor on.

An older car of mine, the temp slider controlled the thermostat off the
evaporator. Never liked door mover systems. I'm going to assume, climate
control also uses the thermostat method. The moving door technique should
limit the air going through evaporator, thus limiting compressor usage.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 7:13:10 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

I'd say it depends. If it's summer and just the AC is running, setting
it warmer will help with gas mileage, the compressor will run less.

If it's fall and the heat is on, then maybe it could result in a slight
decrease in mpg. If the AC compressor switch is off, it will have no
effect. But if the AC compressor switch is on, then the AC is running
a bit to chill the air to remove moisture before it gets heated. So,
having warmer air in the car, theoretically would mean that the AC
compressor has to work more to cool the air down. But any effect is
very slight and would be almost impossible to measure in mpg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/24/2016 7:13 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

You already know the answer but just an FYI, driving with windows open
will produce a bigger drag and decrease mileage than using the AC.

I've had my windows closed since 1967!!! Can't stand wind noise.

Same here. Love climate control, just never think about it any more.
Maybe once or twice a year I'll open the windows for a short ride.

I don't understand climate control.

If i get in the car and it's cold, am I supposed to leave the temp set
to, say, 70, and the heater will put out very hot air until it gets
(close to???) 70 and the temperature of the air will (slowly???)
decrease and be only warm when the sensor says 70?

It seems to me the air is never that hot unless I turn the temp up to
80, and that if I leave it on 70, it will take forever to warm up, but
I'll admit I haven't kept tabs that closely.

I also don't like the Toyota climate control because it keeps changing
whether i get outside air or not. You would think whatever setting it
had when I turned the car off would be the setting when I turn it back
on, but No. (I think it depends on the outside and inside temps,
but knowing for sure would mean detailed records. )

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/24/2016 7:13 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

You already know the answer but just an FYI, driving with windows open
will produce a bigger drag and decrease mileage than using the AC.

I've had my windows closed since 1967!!! Can't stand wind noise.

Same here. Love climate control, just never think about it any more.
Maybe once or twice a year I'll open the windows for a short ride.

I don't understand climate control.

If i get in the car and it's cold, am I supposed to leave the temp set
to, say, 70, and the heater will put out very hot air until it gets
(close to???) 70 and the temperature of the air will (slowly???)
decrease and be only warm when the sensor says 70?

That's how all the ones in the cars I've had worked. When there is a
big temp difference, the heater valve is full open and the blower is
on a high speed. As it gets closer to the set temp, the heater valve
is either cycled or partially closed and the blower speed decreases.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've got one vehicle with automatic climate control and three without.

When driving the vehicles with just the 3 basic controls (fan speed,
temperature and mode) there needs to be some tweaking done occasion as
conditions change, such as sunshine, outside temperature, etc. I'm
talking about during a given driving session, not day-to-day.

When driving the vehicle with the fully automatic climate control,
there needs to be some tweaking done in occasion as conditions change,
such as sunshine, outside temperature, etc. I'm talking about
during a given driving session, not day-to-day.

In other words, there is no such thing as "set it and forget it"
in any of the vehicles, automatic or manual. The automatic climate
control is not like a house thermostat where it maintains fairly
consistent conditions. There are too many variables associated with
a moving vehicle for the climate control system (at least mine) to
be a completely hands-off system.

I've got nothing against new technology, in fact I'm in favor of
automating as much as my life as possible. However, in my vehicles,
I prefer the 3 basic controls. If I'm forced to tweak things anyway,
I'd prefer basic, simple to use controls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. AFAIK, the automatic is on all the time, with no way to turn it
off, and yet I don't think it's ever made the fan run faster (even
though the fan speed control is electronic and it could). That's good
actually, because I'd rather be cold a little longer than have to
listen to a louder fan. (IIRC, the Lebarons had 4-speed fans and the
first 3 speeds were quiet enough not to bother me. This Solara has a
5-speed fan, whoop-de-do, and only the first 2 speeds are quiet.)

But otherwise, your explanation is what I expected.

[...]

I guess this answers it. A friend with a Lincoln Town Car warned me
not to get automatic, but I like high-end cars and most convertibles
come with automatic AC, so I had no choice.

I've got nothing against new technology, in fact I'm in favor of
automating as much as my life as possible. However, in my vehicles,
I prefer the 3 basic controls. If I'm forced to tweak things anyway,
I'd prefer basic, simple to use controls.

Me too. It also turns the AC on whenever I turn on the defrost, and I
know that helps a bit but I still have to turn it off. The worst
problem lately is the indoor/outdoor air setting.

I'll keep this in mind for the next cars but I'm not optimistic.

Thanks, both of you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Almost set in and forget. Even between driver and passenger seats
depending on sun shine or shade they adjust the difference. What
I like in auto climate control is, even if very cold outside as soon
as I drive I can get warm air. Even prewarm the windshield to prevent
fogging. For this I have to push one more button and leave it. Heat/Cool
seat, steering wheel, sync'ing front and rear seat temp. settings, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:42:15 -0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/24/2016 7:13 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

NO. it just moves a door to mix in some warmer air. Aside from that, the
AC in cars today is very efficient and makes little difference to the
mpg. Comfort is more important that a tiny difference in fuel cost.

All my smaller cars show acceleration decrease with compressor on.

An older car of mine, the temp slider controlled the thermostat off the
evaporator. Never liked door mover systems. I'm going to assume, climate
control also uses the thermostat method. The moving door technique should
limit the air going through evaporator, thus limiting compressor usage.

Greg

There are virtually no "throttled" systems any more - and have not
been for decades. The compressor turns off and on th controll
pressures - and therefore heat transfer. Virtually all climate control
systems use "air blend" technology
Some systems used fixed orifice, some use an automatic orifice, and
some use a temperature controlled expansion valve TXV) which senses
the temperature of the evaporator and controls the amount of
refrigerant allowed int the evaporator to prevent icing etc. There is
also something called an "expansion block"system

The AC system controls the pressures and temperatures of the
refrigerant for most efficient operation - the blens doors control the
temperature of the air inside the vehicle. Newer compressor and
control technology improve the efficiency.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Do. It should reach 70 in the same time regardless of what temperature
(70 or above) you have it set for. There MAY be a small difference,
but on my Ford I have never noticed it. My wife likes to fiddle with
the settings because she THINKS it will warm up faster, and BELIEVES
it does, so she FEELS it does. What really happens is it just gets
warmer, so SHE warms up faster.

I also don't like the Toyota climate control because it keeps changing
whether i get outside air or not. You would think whatever setting it
had when I turned the car off would be the setting when I turn it back
on, but No. (I think it depends on the outside and inside temps,
but knowing for sure would mean detailed records. )

You get outside air ALL the time with a Toyota climate control system
UNLESS you set it to MAX AC. The system will never restart in MAX AC
mode by itself, nor should it. The system is most efficient in the
normal mode.

Outside air is NORMAL AC. It is also NORMAL HEAT. Without outside air,
particularly without the AC working, the humidity builds VERY quickly,
the air gets stale, and the car starts to smell like a dead man's
arm-pit. Not to mention the carpets stay wet, the windows fog up, and
the car, generally, becomes unpleasant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

I have no need to adjust the HVAC (anywhere) as I have a wife, one daughter,
3 DIL and half dozen grand daughters. H*ll I have no need to make even one
driving decision.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/24/2016 7:13 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

You already know the answer but just an FYI, driving with windows open
will produce a bigger drag and decrease mileage than using the AC.

I've had my windows closed since 1967!!! Can't stand wind noise.

Same here. Love climate control, just never think about it any more.
Maybe once or twice a year I'll open the windows for a short ride.

On the first really nice day of spring.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/25/2016 7:17 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 7:13:10 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

I'd say it depends. If it's summer and just the AC is running, setting
it warmer will help with gas mileage, the compressor will run less.

That aside, I get better mileage in summer that with the crappy winter
blend gas we get in New England.

Years ago, some compressors used to kick out if you floored the
accelerator so you had enough power to pass. You could feel it cycle
under normal driving even with a big V-8. Those days are long gone
unless you have a really tiny engine.

In winter, I set the climate control to 70, in summer I set it to 72. I
never feel the difference with the AC cycling, just enjoy the comfort.
Really like the heated steering wheel on the very cold days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/25/2016 11:54 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

When driving the vehicle with the fully automatic climate control,
there needs to be some tweaking done in occasion as conditions change,
such as sunshine, outside temperature, etc. I'm talking about
during a given driving session, not day-to-day.

In other words, there is no such thing as "set it and forget it"
in any of the vehicles, automatic or manual. The automatic climate
control is not like a house thermostat where it maintains fairly
consistent conditions. There are too many variables associated with
a moving vehicle for the climate control system (at least mine) to
be a completely hands-off system.

I beg to differ. My last two cars (2013, 2015) have been amazingly
accurate. Once to temperature, they take care of any adjusting for sun
load, humidity, whatever. I never touch the controls all winter or all
summer when I keep it a few degrees warmer.

My present car I bought on Sept 28. I adjusted the control the next day
and have not touched it since. My wife a couple of times has turned up
the temp on her side, but I just set it back by touching the sync button
when she it not with me. My last car was the same. I do recall a couple
of older cars where I did twek a bit though.

Oh, it also turns the defroster on when needed too. Only once did I do
that manually. It senses the windshield ready to fog.

Only thing I do when the car is still cold is turn on the heated seats
and heated steering wheel, but after 10 minutes, I turn them off too.
It kept the temperature just as good at 12 below too!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/25/2016 8:33 AM, Micky wrote:

I don't understand climate control.

If i get in the car and it's cold, am I supposed to leave the temp set
to, say, 70, and the heater will put out very hot air until it gets
(close to???) 70 and the temperature of the air will (slowly???)
decrease and be only warm when the sensor says 70?

It seems to me the air is never that hot unless I turn the temp up to
80, and that if I leave it on 70, it will take forever to warm up, but
I'll admit I haven't kept tabs that closely.

That is the way mine works. Set it and forget it. My last cars were
relatively new and the CC worked well. Can't speak for all cars on that.

I also don't like the Toyota climate control because it keeps changing
whether i get outside air or not. You would think whatever setting it
had when I turned the car off would be the setting when I turn it back
on, but No. (I think it depends on the outside and inside temps,
but knowing for sure would mean detailed records. )

I had some of that in the past. For some reason, they air would
recirculate when the car was hot and you wanted to cool it down. If it
is 90 outside, 120+ inside in the sun, bring in that 90 degree air and
exhaust the 120 stuff. Sure, if I get in the car I put the windows
down, but starting it with a remote, I want the cooker air in to expel
the overheated air.

Present car is a Genesis and it has a carbon dioxide detector. It
always brings in fresh air. If I do set it to recirculate, it will
change to fresh air if the CO2 level gets too high where it would make
you drowsy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 2:43:50 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

The cooker air probably smells pretty good too. ;-)

Present car is a Genesis and it has a carbon dioxide detector. It
always brings in fresh air. If I do set it to recirculate, it will
change to fresh air if the CO2 level gets too high where it would make
you drowsy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 2:19:18 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

It sure could be the age of the vehicles. Mine is an '06.

7 - 10 years is a long time in car age, technology wise.

My present car I bought on Sept 28. I adjusted the control the next day
and have not touched it since. My wife a couple of times has turned up
the temp on her side, but I just set it back by touching the sync button
when she it not with me. My last car was the same. I do recall a couple
of older cars where I did twek a bit though.

Oh, it also turns the defroster on when needed too. Only once did I do
that manually. It senses the windshield ready to fog.

Only thing I do when the car is still cold is turn on the heated seats
and heated steering wheel, but after 10 minutes, I turn them off too.
It kept the temperature just as good at 12 below too!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/25/2016 2:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Sure, if I get in the car I put the windows
down, but starting it with a remote, I want the cooker air in to expel
the overheated air.

The cooker air probably smells pretty good too. ;-)

Yeah, until the skunk is overcooked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Do.

I'd like to say that I will try, but the engine doesn't even get hot
for 1/4, 1/2 mile and by then I've forgotten everything I was thinking
when I got in the car. But I'll try to try.

It should reach 70 in the same time regardless of what temperature
(70 or above) you have it set for. There MAY be a small difference,
but on my Ford I have never noticed it. My wife likes to fiddle with
the settings because she THINKS it will warm up faster, and BELIEVES
it does, so she FEELS it does. What really happens is it just gets
warmer, so SHE warms up faster.

I also don't like the Toyota climate control because it keeps changing
whether i get outside air or not. You would think whatever setting it
had when I turned the car off would be the setting when I turn it back
on, but No. (I think it depends on the outside and inside temps,
but knowing for sure would mean detailed records. )

You get outside air ALL the time with a Toyota climate control system
UNLESS you set it to MAX AC.

Not this one. I used to leave it on outside all the time (I never use
max AC, fan is too loud) but there's some leak dripping oil somewhere
hot and the smell was entering the car, so now it's supposed to be on
inside all the time, and the smell is gone. I suppose some small
amount of outside air could be coming in but it's not enough to smell
the oil. When I tried to leave it on Outside, I guess that was when
it kept switching to Inside. Keeping it on Inside, it doesn't switch
on its own as mch, if at all.

But when I fix the leak I'm going back to Outside, and it's going back
to arguing with me.

The system will never restart in MAX AC
mode by itself, nor should it. The system is most efficient in the
normal mode.

Outside air is NORMAL AC. It is also NORMAL HEAT. Without outside air,

Do you mean inside?

particularly without the AC working, the humidity builds VERY quickly,
the air gets stale, and the car starts to smell like a dead man's
arm-pit. Not to mention the carpets stay wet, the windows fog up, and
the car, generally, becomes unpleasant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 14:44:06 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

That's a good idea. I don't driive long distances in one shot
anymore, but I remember times I was quite drowsy. Had to turn on the
cold air from outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 14:07:15 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/25/2016 7:17 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 7:13:10 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

I'd say it depends. If it's summer and just the AC is running, setting
it warmer will help with gas mileage, the compressor will run less.

Not necessaarily. On most cars if the AC is running, it's running
Setting it warmer just changes the air blend. It may have a TINY
impact on fuel mileage, but so small you won't be able to quantify it.

That aside, I get better mileage in summer that with the crappy winter
blend gas we get in New England.

You would get even worse gas mileage using simmer gas in the cold
weather. The bad gas mileage, particularly in town or on short trips,
is due to the engine needing to run significantly richer when cold,
and the engine taking longer to warm up. The "winter gas" does not
need to be as rich to get a decent running cold engine.

Years ago, some compressors used to kick out if you floored the
accelerator so you had enough power to pass. You could feel it cycle
under normal driving even with a big V-8. Those days are long gone
unless you have a really tiny engine.

Some still cut out the AC at full throttle,

In winter, I set the climate control to 70, in summer I set it to 72. I
never feel the difference with the AC cycling, just enjoy the comfort.
Really like the heated steering wheel on the very cold days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 14:19:37 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Tinted glass helps - - -
Also the fact that MOST higher end vehicles with climate control have
a sun load sensor that acts a bit like an anticipator
Oh, it also turns the defroster on when needed too. Only once did I do
that manually. It senses the windshield ready to fog.

That's one thing a 14 year old car can't do - - -

Only thing I do when the car is still cold is turn on the heated seats
and heated steering wheel, but after 10 minutes, I turn them off too.
It kept the temperature just as good at 12 below too!

On the Taurus we have to turn on the read defogger - and that also
heats the mirrors. The seat gets slowly warmed by the hiney sitting in
it, and gloves handle the cold steering wheel.

On the 20 year old Ranger with McGiver AC I have full control over
when the AC runs and I sometimes turn it on to help clear the
windshield. The fact it only has rubber mats helps reduce fogging on
the inside of the glass. (doesn't hold moisture to end up as vapour on
the glass)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:58:53 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

My 02 is pretty consistent too. (Ford) The '96 Mystique was good too.
So was the '88 New Yorker. Even the climate control on the 85 LeBaron
was pretty good - but on the 2600cc 4banger you could feel when the AC
cycled.

My present car I bought on Sept 28. I adjusted the control the next day
and have not touched it since. My wife a couple of times has turned up
the temp on her side, but I just set it back by touching the sync button
when she it not with me. My last car was the same. I do recall a couple
of older cars where I did twek a bit though.

Oh, it also turns the defroster on when needed too. Only once did I do
that manually. It senses the windshield ready to fog.

Only thing I do when the car is still cold is turn on the heated seats
and heated steering wheel, but after 10 minutes, I turn them off too.
It kept the temperature just as good at 12 below too!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, fresh air is standard - and MAX AC does nothing to the fan speed -
or at least it didn't when I worked on Toyotas and doesn't on any of
the cars I currently am aquainted with. ALL Max AC did was put the
system into recirculate mode.

particularly without the AC working, the humidity builds VERY quickly,
the air gets stale, and the car starts to smell like a dead man's
arm-pit. Not to mention the carpets stay wet, the windows fog up, and
the car, generally, becomes unpleasant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't recall which cars it happens/happened in, but hitting the Max
AC button without a doubt increased the fan speed. I've never had a
Toyota, so maybe they do something different.

It's too cold to go test the Honda Element right now. The Taurus and
Civic are away at school. The Gallant has been parted out, so there's
no testing that one.

particularly without the AC working, the humidity builds VERY quickly,
the air gets stale, and the car starts to smell like a dead man's
arm-pit. Not to mention the carpets stay wet, the windows fog up, and
the car, generally, becomes unpleasant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 19:55:48 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

No, fresh air is standard - and MAX AC does nothing to the fan speed -
or at least it didn't when I worked on Toyotas and doesn't on any of
the cars I currently am aquainted with. ALL Max AC did was put the
system into recirculate mode.

I don't recall which cars it happens/happened in, but hitting the Max
AC button without a doubt increased the fan speed. I've never had a
Toyota, so maybe they do something different.

The fan sound changes because it is sucking air from inside the car
instead of outside the car -
Ford works the same way - no effect on fan speed when switched to MAX
AC - on SOME fords the water flow through the heater core is shut off
on MAX AC - on others it is not. Many vehicles have no hot water
control valve.

It's too cold to go test the Honda Element right now. The Taurus and
Civic are away at school. The Gallant has been parted out, so there's
no testing that one.

Good solution for a Gallant - - -

particularly without the AC working, the humidity builds VERY quickly,
the air gets stale, and the car starts to smell like a dead man's
arm-pit. Not to mention the carpets stay wet, the windows fog up, and
the car, generally, becomes unpleasant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The car makers are looking at saving another 0.004% of gas by making
it so the AC ALWAYS starts on recirc no matter what you want. Recir
will put slightly less load on the compressor for the overall drive.

I HATE recirc and never ever use it unless the temp is over 105 and I
have to use it to stay cool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No, fresh air is standard - and MAX AC does nothing to the fan speed -
or at least it didn't when I worked on Toyotas and doesn't on any of
the cars I currently am aquainted with. ALL Max AC did was put the
system into recirculate mode.

I don't recall which cars it happens/happened in, but hitting the Max
AC button without a doubt increased the fan speed. I've never had a
Toyota, so maybe they do something different.

The fan sound changes because it is sucking air from inside the car
instead of outside the car -
Ford works the same way - no effect on fan speed when switched to MAX
AC - on SOME fords the water flow through the heater core is shut off
on MAX AC - on others it is not. Many vehicles have no hot water
control valve.

I'll verify that when I get a chance.

It's too cold to go test the Honda Element right now. The Taurus and
Civic are away at school. The Gallant has been parted out, so there's
no testing that one.

Good solution for a Gallant - - -

2002, bought in 2012

It was a rust bucket, but we never had any real problems with it, and man, was it quick.

It was the rust that killed it. The brake lines started leaking so I sold it to my mechanic
who was going to fix it up for use as a winter heater. Once he got into it he realized
how badly rusted the frame and strut towers were. There was no saving it.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why would an AC system that draws in mostly outside air at 90F be more
efficient than a system that mostly recirculate inside air at 75F?

Outside air is NORMAL AC. It is also NORMAL HEAT. Without outside air,
particularly without the AC working, the humidity builds VERY quickly,
the air gets stale, and the car starts to smell like a dead man's
arm-pit. Not to mention the carpets stay wet, the windows fog up, and
the car, generally, becomes unpleasant.

Nonsense. The AC removes moisture from the air, just like any AC
system, and there is almost always less moisture in the air that's
inside the car than outside. I've never had a car that stays wet,
windows fogged up, stinks, with the AC set to fresh air or to recirculate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Max AC on BMW X5 switches to recirculate, high blower speed and 65F.

Also, every car I've ever been familiar with, recirculate isn't 100%
inside air. It's more like 80% inside air, which seems logical.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 16:57:30 -0500, wrote:

Not this one. I used to leave it on outside all the time (I never use
max AC, fan is too loud) but there's some leak dripping oil somewhere
hot and the smell was entering the car, so now it's supposed to be on
inside all the time, and the smell is gone. I suppose some small
amount of outside air could be coming in but it's not enough to smell
the oil. When I tried to leave it on Outside, I guess that was when
it kept switching to Inside. Keeping it on Inside, it doesn't switch
on its own as mch, if at all.

But when I fix the leak I'm going back to Outside, and it's going back
to arguing with me.

The system will never restart in MAX AC
mode by itself, nor should it. The system is most efficient in the
normal mode.

Outside air is NORMAL AC. It is also NORMAL HEAT. Without outside air,

====== =======

Do you mean inside?

No, fresh air is standard

I'm sorry. "Outside" was used twice in your line just above. It's
the second "outside" I was asking about. Do you mean inside? I
wouldn't post again except Trader called your post nonsense.

- and MAX AC does nothing to the fan speed -
or at least it didn't when I worked on Toyotas and doesn't on any of
the cars I currently am aquainted with. ALL Max AC did was put the
system into recirculate mode.

particularly without the AC working, the humidity builds VERY quickly,
the air gets stale, and the car starts to smell like a dead man's
arm-pit. Not to mention the carpets stay wet, the windows fog up, and
the car, generally, becomes unpleasant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 8:45:19 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
[...]

My "nonsense" comment was directed at Claire's claim that without a setting
that brings in outside air air the humidity builds quickly and the car
starts to smell. It's like saying that a house is going to be more
humid with the AC on and the windows closed. Obviously AC removes
moisture, very effectively. And with less outside air, it will typically
be even more effective at doing that.

Also, as I said previously, every car that I've been familiar with,
it's never been possible to 100% cut off outside air. At most, setting
it to recirculate resulted in about 80% inside air, with ~20% still
coming from outside, for obvious reasons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 7:28 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I also don't like the Toyota climate control because it keeps changing
whether i get outside air or not. You would think whatever setting it
had when I turned the car off would be the setting when I turn it back
on, but No. (I think it depends on the outside and inside temps,
but knowing for sure would mean detailed records. )

You get outside air ALL the time with a Toyota climate control system
UNLESS you set it to MAX AC. The system will never restart in MAX AC
mode by itself, nor should it. The system is most efficient in the
normal mode.

Why would an AC system that draws in mostly outside air at 90F be more
efficient than a system that mostly recirculate inside air at 75F?

Given the ability of technology in cars today, they should be able to
pull the air where it will heat or cool the fastest and switch to
"outside" after for fresh air. I mentioned in another post that my car
started with the AC in recirc position. It would cool the extremely hot
air in a sitting car rather than exhaust it and cool the outside air.
Never understood that.