Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Car AC/Heater systems

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 4:57:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 15:37:36 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 13:20:09 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:33:11 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 22:21:13 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/24/2016 8:27 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 20:25:21 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

On 2/24/2016 7:13 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn
the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will
that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?

You already know the answer but just an FYI, driving with windows open
will produce a bigger drag and decrease mileage than using the AC.

I've had my windows closed since 1967!!! Can't stand wind noise.

Same here. Love climate control, just never think about it any more.
Maybe once or twice a year I'll open the windows for a short ride.

I don't understand climate control.

If i get in the car and it's cold, am I supposed to leave the temp set
to, say, 70, and the heater will put out very hot air until it gets
(close to???) 70 and the temperature of the air will (slowly???)
decrease and be only warm when the sensor says 70?

It seems to me the air is never that hot unless I turn the temp up to
80, and that if I leave it on 70, it will take forever to warm up, but
I'll admit I haven't kept tabs that closely.

Do.

I'd like to say that I will try, but the engine doesn't even get hot
for 1/4, 1/2 mile and by then I've forgotten everything I was thinking
when I got in the car. But I'll try to try.

It should reach 70 in the same time regardless of what temperature
(70 or above) you have it set for. There MAY be a small difference,
but on my Ford I have never noticed it. My wife likes to fiddle with
the settings because she THINKS it will warm up faster, and BELIEVES
it does, so she FEELS it does. What really happens is it just gets
warmer, so SHE warms up faster.

I also don't like the Toyota climate control because it keeps changing
whether i get outside air or not. You would think whatever setting it
had when I turned the car off would be the setting when I turn it back
on, but No. (I think it depends on the outside and inside temps,
but knowing for sure would mean detailed records. )
You get outside air ALL the time with a Toyota climate control system
UNLESS you set it to MAX AC.

Not this one. I used to leave it on outside all the time (I never use
max AC, fan is too loud) but there's some leak dripping oil somewhere
hot and the smell was entering the car, so now it's supposed to be on
inside all the time, and the smell is gone. I suppose some small
amount of outside air could be coming in but it's not enough to smell
the oil. When I tried to leave it on Outside, I guess that was when
it kept switching to Inside. Keeping it on Inside, it doesn't switch
on its own as mch, if at all.

But when I fix the leak I'm going back to Outside, and it's going back
to arguing with me.

The system will never restart in MAX AC
mode by itself, nor should it. The system is most efficient in the
normal mode.

Outside air is NORMAL AC. It is also NORMAL HEAT. Without outside air,

Do you mean inside?

No, fresh air is standard - and MAX AC does nothing to the fan speed -
or at least it didn't when I worked on Toyotas and doesn't on any of
the cars I currently am aquainted with. ALL Max AC did was put the
system into recirculate mode.

I don't recall which cars it happens/happened in, but hitting the Max
AC button without a doubt increased the fan speed. I've never had a
Toyota, so maybe they do something different.

It's too cold to go test the Honda Element right now. The Taurus and
Civic are away at school. The Gallant has been parted out, so there's
no testing that one.

particularly without the AC working, the humidity builds VERY quickly,
the air gets stale, and the car starts to smell like a dead man's
arm-pit. Not to mention the carpets stay wet, the windows fog up, and
the car, generally, becomes unpleasant.