Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot water heater is really a luke warm heater

I installed a new gas hot water heater and have an annoying problem:
I only have hot water in the morning if I run hot water (ie,
dishwasher) the night before. Otherwise, I have tepid water when no
hot water is used within ten hours or so. If I run hot water in the
morning for a few minutes, and wait ten or fifteen minutes, the heater
kicks on and recovers fairly fast. If I turn the heater up past
"hot", it just dumps hot water out from the overflow. It's like the
heater believes if I'm gone for ten hourse or more, I'm never coming
back. Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The gas control (thermostat) is a pretty crude device.
The thermostat has a very wide differential (On/Off band).

And no 2 are alike. Sounds like you got a dud.

Now we'll see how responsive the company is...

Jim

Well crappo...it's out of warranty by now. Maybe it's being energy
efficient...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 1:18 pm, wrote:
The gas control (thermostat) is a pretty crude device.
The thermostat has a very wide differential (On/Off band).

And no 2 are alike. Sounds like you got a dud.

Now we'll see how responsive the company is...

Jim

Well crappo...it's out of warranty by now. Maybe it's being energy
efficient...

You said you installed a new water heater, so how can it be out of
warranty? I have a garden variety State, from HD, that is about 6
years old and when the thermocouple on the pilot went bad I called
them up and they had a new one here in 2 days under warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 6:23�pm, wrote:
On May 15, 1:18 pm, wrote:

* *The gas control (thermostat) is a pretty crude device.
* *The thermostat has a very wide differential (On/Off band).

* *And no 2 are alike. *Sounds like you got a dud.

* *Now we'll see how responsive the company is...

Jim

Well crappo...it's out of warranty by now. * Maybe it's being energy
efficient...

You said you installed a new water heater, so how can it be out of
warranty? * I have a garden variety State, from HD, that is about 6
years old and when the thermocouple on the pilot went bad I called
them up and they had a new one here in 2 days under warranty.

how old is the heater?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I installed a new gas hot water heater and have an annoying problem:
I only have hot water in the morning if I run hot water (ie,
dishwasher) the night before. Otherwise, I have tepid water when no
hot water is used within ten hours or so. If I run hot water in the
morning for a few minutes, and wait ten or fifteen minutes, the heater
kicks on and recovers fairly fast. If I turn the heater up past
"hot", it just dumps hot water out from the overflow. It's like the
heater believes if I'm gone for ten hourse or more, I'm never coming
back. Any ideas?

You're describing exactly the problem I had. Check the cheap things first.
The plastic dip tube - did you put it in and/or is it still there? You have
to take off the cold water supply side and look/feel inside the nipple to
know if the tube is still there (if it ever was).

If it's gone, they're $10 at the local hardware store. That fixed my
problem anyhow.

As others have asked, it's a new tank and already it's out of warranty? How
"new" is this tank?