Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Car AC/Heater systems

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 08:45:09 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 16:57:30 -0500, wrote:

Not this one. I used to leave it on outside all the time (I never use
max AC, fan is too loud) but there's some leak dripping oil somewhere
hot and the smell was entering the car, so now it's supposed to be on
inside all the time, and the smell is gone. I suppose some small
amount of outside air could be coming in but it's not enough to smell
the oil. When I tried to leave it on Outside, I guess that was when
it kept switching to Inside. Keeping it on Inside, it doesn't switch
on its own as mch, if at all.

But when I fix the leak I'm going back to Outside, and it's going back
to arguing with me.

The system will never restart in MAX AC
mode by itself, nor should it. The system is most efficient in the
normal mode.

Outside air is NORMAL AC. It is also NORMAL HEAT. Without outside air,

====== =======

Do you mean inside?

No, fresh air is standard

I'm sorry. "Outside" was used twice in your line just above. It's
the second "outside" I was asking about. Do you mean inside? I
wouldn't post again except Trader called your post nonsense.

I don't get that jack-ass's emails any more. I'll repeat myself for
clarity.
Outside (or fresh) air is normal for both heat and AC on the vast
majority of automotive heating and air conditioning or climate control
systems. Systems with "max ac" settings switch to recirculated air on
the "max ac" setting. Some manual systems, at least in years past, had
a "fresh/recirc" control that did the same thing.

- and MAX AC does nothing to the fan speed -
or at least it didn't when I worked on Toyotas and doesn't on any of
the cars I currently am aquainted with. ALL Max AC did was put the
system into recirculate mode.

And this is why ---
particularly without the AC working, the humidity builds VERY quickly,
the air gets stale, and the car starts to smell like a dead man's
arm-pit. Not to mention the carpets stay wet, the windows fog up, and
the car, generally, becomes unpleasant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 08:05:16 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 23:26:00 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 19:55:48 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

No, fresh air is standard - and MAX AC does nothing to the fan speed -
or at least it didn't when I worked on Toyotas and doesn't on any of
the cars I currently am aquainted with. ALL Max AC did was put the
system into recirculate mode.

I don't recall which cars it happens/happened in, but hitting the Max
AC button without a doubt increased the fan speed. I've never had a
Toyota, so maybe they do something different.

The fan sound changes because it is sucking air from inside the car
instead of outside the car -

Every GM car I've had MAX is a higher speed on the fan.
Not just sound - fan RPM. It's obvious.

I've only had one air conditioned GM vehicle . It was a '95 Tran
Sport - and the fan speed didn't change with Max AC selected.
On the Tauris if I do not have automatic climate control turned on,
MAX AC soen't change the fan speed eiter. If automatic control is
enabled, hitting MAX AC shuts off the automatic control and it is
POSSIBLE tha the fan then goes to max. I'll have to remember to check
when I get into it next. (I usually use the Ranger - and the "McGiver
AC" does not have any fancy controls. It is a standard non-AC truck
with an AC Evavorator added to the system, along with an on/off
switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No, fresh air is standard - and MAX AC does nothing to the fan speed -
or at least it didn't when I worked on Toyotas and doesn't on any of
the cars I currently am aquainted with. ALL Max AC did was put the
system into recirculate mode.

I don't recall which cars it happens/happened in, but hitting the Max
AC button without a doubt increased the fan speed. I've never had a
Toyota, so maybe they do something different.

The fan sound changes because it is sucking air from inside the car
instead of outside the car -
Ford works the same way - no effect on fan speed when switched to MAX
AC - on SOME fords the water flow through the heater core is shut off
on MAX AC - on others it is not. Many vehicles have no hot water
control valve.

It's too cold to go test the Honda Element right now. The Taurus and
Civic are away at school. The Gallant has been parted out, so there's
no testing that one.

I just drove SWMBO's 2003 Element. (Love that thing!)

When set to Max AC there is a definite increase in the force of the air through the vents. The
recirc light also turns on.

Here is a picture of the controls:

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l800...97436916_1.jpg

You will see that Max AC is on when the mode control is turned all the way to the left. I set the
control one position to the right of Max AC, which should mean that all of the air is coming
from the dash vents. While holding my hand in front of a dash vent, I turned the control to
Max AC. The force of the air coming from the vent increased.

This occurred at any fan speed. There was a noticeable increase in the force of the air flow
within a second of turning the control to Max AC. Was it increasing the fan speed? I don't
know. I was driving and didn't hear any appreciable increase in fan noise, but the change in
force was undeniable. Maybe it was redirecting more air through the vents, I don't know, but the forced increased.

Good solution for a Gallant - - -

particularly without the AC working, the humidity builds VERY quickly,
the air gets stale, and the car starts to smell like a dead man's
arm-pit. Not to mention the carpets stay wet, the windows fog up, and
the car, generally, becomes unpleasant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 17:55:43 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Instead of sucking the air through the entire air intake system, the
fan is grabbing the air directly at the fan housing - so yes, you WILL
get more air flow. However, there is no connection between the recirc
door and the fan motor control. The louder air sound and increased air
flow are completely caused by the reduction in resistance to intake
air flow. At least they have been on several hundred vehicles I have
not only serviced but installed the air conditioning on (the vast
majority of those installations on Toyotas) Technology has changed
some over the years - but that control could just as well have come
out of a 1972 Corona Mark 2 or an old Hilux..... It is certainly not
rocket science.

Good solution for a Gallant - - -

particularly without the AC working, the humidity builds VERY quickly,
the air gets stale, and the car starts to smell like a dead man's
arm-pit. Not to mention the carpets stay wet, the windows fog up, and
the car, generally, becomes unpleasant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No, fresh air is standard - and MAX AC does nothing to the fan speed -
or at least it didn't when I worked on Toyotas and doesn't on any of
the cars I currently am aquainted with. ALL Max AC did was put the
system into recirculate mode.

I don't recall which cars it happens/happened in, but hitting the Max
AC button without a doubt increased the fan speed. I've never had a
Toyota, so maybe they do something different.

I don't think my 2000 Toyota even has a Max setting!

I was right. It doesn't

But when I put it on automatic and I turn the temp up, the fan goes
faster. However unless I'm in a hurry to defrost the windshield, I
don't care how cold I am, I only want the fan on one of the first two
speeds. So I turned Automatic off again

The fan sound changes because it is sucking air from inside the car
instead of outside the car -
Ford works the same way - no effect on fan speed when switched to MAX
AC - on SOME fords the water flow through the heater core is shut off
on MAX AC - on others it is not. Many vehicles have no hot water
control valve.

It's too cold to go test the Honda Element right now. The Taurus and
Civic are away at school. The Gallant has been parted out, so there's
no testing that one.

OK - back to Max Air and the Ford Taurus. I've driven it over the
weekend, and the fan speed most definitely does NOT change when set to
Max Air.. It does get much louder because you hear the air being drawn
into the fan as well as being blown through the vents.

As far as the 2000 Camry and Solara - the 3-knob non - automatic
climate control system has a "fresh/recirc" lever. Recirc is "max
air".
There is also a version with a push-button "recirc" control

The 4- slide control "automatic" HVAC control also has the
"fresh/recirc" control.

In 2001 the camry/solara finally got "real" automatic temperature
control with digital readout and an actual "automatic" mode. with
buttons for fan off, fan speed (up and down) , Auto, mode, and AC, and
a round knob that turns to adjust temperature - which when pushed
reads outside temperature.. it also has a "fresh-recirc" button.

So - yes your toyota DOES have a "max air" setting whether it is
technically a 2000 or a 2001 model.