Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Car AC/Heater systems

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 17:55:43 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I just drove SWMBO's 2003 Element. (Love that thing!)

When set to Max AC there is a definite increase in the force of the air through the vents. The
recirc light also turns on.

Here is a picture of the controls:

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l800...97436916_1.jpg

You will see that Max AC is on when the mode control is turned all the way to the left. I set the
control one position to the right of Max AC, which should mean that all of the air is coming
from the dash vents. While holding my hand in front of a dash vent, I turned the control to
Max AC. The force of the air coming from the vent increased.

This occurred at any fan speed. There was a noticeable increase in the force of the air flow
within a second of turning the control to Max AC. Was it increasing the fan speed? I don't
know. I was driving and didn't hear any appreciable increase in fan noise, but the change in
force was undeniable. Maybe it was redirecting more air through the vents, I don't know, but the forced increased.

Instead of sucking the air through the entire air intake system, the
fan is grabbing the air directly at the fan housing - so yes, you WILL
get more air flow. However, there is no connection between the recirc
door and the fan motor control. The louder air sound and increased air
flow are completely caused by the reduction in resistance to intake
air flow. At least they have been on several hundred vehicles I have
not only serviced but installed the air conditioning on (the vast
majority of those installations on Toyotas) Technology has changed
some over the years - but that control could just as well have come
out of a 1972 Corona Mark 2 or an old Hilux..... It is certainly not
rocket science.

Good solution for a Gallant - - -

particularly without the AC working, the humidity builds VERY quickly,
the air gets stale, and the car starts to smell like a dead man's
arm-pit. Not to mention the carpets stay wet, the windows fog up, and
the car, generally, becomes unpleasant.