Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Car AC/Heater systems

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 19:55:48 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

No, fresh air is standard - and MAX AC does nothing to the fan speed -
or at least it didn't when I worked on Toyotas and doesn't on any of
the cars I currently am aquainted with. ALL Max AC did was put the
system into recirculate mode.

I don't recall which cars it happens/happened in, but hitting the Max
AC button without a doubt increased the fan speed. I've never had a
Toyota, so maybe they do something different.

The fan sound changes because it is sucking air from inside the car
instead of outside the car -
Ford works the same way - no effect on fan speed when switched to MAX
AC - on SOME fords the water flow through the heater core is shut off
on MAX AC - on others it is not. Many vehicles have no hot water
control valve.

It's too cold to go test the Honda Element right now. The Taurus and
Civic are away at school. The Gallant has been parted out, so there's
no testing that one.

Good solution for a Gallant - - -

particularly without the AC working, the humidity builds VERY quickly,
the air gets stale, and the car starts to smell like a dead man's
arm-pit. Not to mention the carpets stay wet, the windows fog up, and
the car, generally, becomes unpleasant.