Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT auto glass cleaning

Today was 6 month wax. Of course, wash beforehand.

It took us a long time but we've finally found a scheme for
washing the HOUSE windows (lots of glass, here) without
streaking, lint, etc.

But, no such luck with the car. *Any* car! Windshields
are always a chore cuz of the low attack angle (can't get
to the glass as it nears the dashboard). Other windows are
too small/odd shaped for a squeegee.

And, of course, you never know if you've done a good-enough
job until you get the car out in the sun and try to SEE
through all your invisible smudges! :

Presently using "Invisible Glass" which *seems* to do a good job
but ONLY if you diligently remove ALL traces before it dries.

Next time, I'll try the stuff we use on the house windows
(pour some of it into a spray bottle). Maybe see if I can find a
TINY squeegee with which to apply it; virgin newsprint to dry.

Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

But, no such luck with the car. *Any* car! Windshields
are always a chore cuz of the low attack angle (can't get
to the glass as it nears the dashboard). Other windows are
too small/odd shaped for a squeegee.

Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?

I recently tried some of the yellow
Rain-X washer fluid. Smells funny,
but works well.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 8:49 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

But, no such luck with the car. *Any* car! Windshields
are always a chore cuz of the low attack angle (can't get
to the glass as it nears the dashboard). Other windows are
too small/odd shaped for a squeegee.

Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?

I recently tried some of the yellow
Rain-X washer fluid. Smells funny,
but works well.

I just take my van to the drive-thru car wash.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

But, no such luck with the car. *Any* car! Windshields
are always a chore cuz of the low attack angle (can't get
to the glass as it nears the dashboard). Other windows are
too small/odd shaped for a squeegee.

Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?

I recently tried some of the yellow
Rain-X washer fluid. Smells funny,
but works well.

I just take my van to the drive-thru car wash.

And that does the inside? Amazing
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

But, no such luck with the car. *Any* car! Windshields
are always a chore cuz of the low attack angle (can't get
to the glass as it nears the dashboard). Other windows are
too small/odd shaped for a squeegee.

And, of course, you never know if you've done a good-enough
job until you get the car out in the sun and try to SEE
through all your invisible smudges! :

Presently using "Invisible Glass" which *seems* to do a good job
but ONLY if you diligently remove ALL traces before it dries.

Next time, I'll try the stuff we use on the house windows
(pour some of it into a spray bottle). Maybe see if I can find a
TINY squeegee with which to apply it; virgin newsprint to dry.

Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?

If really dirty I do two steps. Step 1. A quick wash with Windex and
paper towels. Usually leaves some streaks.

Step 2 is a microfiber cloth and water. Wet cloth with plain water,
wipe glass. Done. Works better than anything I've ever used. Do it
once a month and you won't need step 1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

But, no such luck with the car. *Any* car! Windshields
are always a chore cuz of the low attack angle (can't get
to the glass as it nears the dashboard). Other windows are
too small/odd shaped for a squeegee.

Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?

I recently tried some of the yellow
Rain-X washer fluid. Smells funny,
but works well.

I just take my van to the drive-thru car wash.

And that does the inside? Amazing

I clean the inside myself. I tried one of those places that do the
inside and didn't really like what they did.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

But, no such luck with the car. *Any* car! Windshields
are always a chore cuz of the low attack angle (can't get
to the glass as it nears the dashboard). Other windows are
too small/odd shaped for a squeegee.

Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?

I recently tried some of the yellow
Rain-X washer fluid. Smells funny,
but works well.

I just take my van to the drive-thru car wash.

And that does the inside? Amazing

A couple of good rags and a bottle of Phantom chrome and glass
cleaner makes the glass sparkle like a diamond.

Stormy goes through the carwash with the windows down to clean the
inside of the windsheild and the seats and to wash the mud off the
floormats. Driving down the road soaked to the skin with the windows
open afterwards keeps him cool so he doesn't have to fix the AC on his
van either. The only problem is the batched mess of wires under the
seat gets wet, so he has to ask how to waterproof wire connections
again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 9:25:28 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
[...]

The only glass cleaner I use, indoors and out.

Bring plenty of paper towels.

http://static.hardwarestore.com/medi...2_front500.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 23:51:57 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

Vinegar in the water for the first step works pretty good too - and
Phantom really polishes the glass with a normal cloth.

Microfiber cloths DO make polishing glass a lot easier though, for
sure. I still have most of a bottle of Phantom left from my dealership
days when it was what we used to detail cars for the show-room or lot
- back before microfiber.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

But, no such luck with the car. *Any* car! Windshields
are always a chore cuz of the low attack angle (can't get
to the glass as it nears the dashboard). Other windows are
too small/odd shaped for a squeegee.

And, of course, you never know if you've done a good-enough
job until you get the car out in the sun and try to SEE
through all your invisible smudges! :

Presently using "Invisible Glass" which *seems* to do a good job
but ONLY if you diligently remove ALL traces before it dries.

Next time, I'll try the stuff we use on the house windows
(pour some of it into a spray bottle). Maybe see if I can find a
TINY squeegee with which to apply it; virgin newsprint to dry.

Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?

If really dirty I do two steps. Step 1. A quick wash with Windex and paper
towels. Usually leaves some streaks.

They are rarely dirty from normal driving. Sure, when it rains, they get
"mud spotted" -- but that comes off with the wipers, etc.

What usually happens is they get fingerprints from installing and
removing the front window shade. Or, the door windows show prints
as I wrap my hands around the edge of the door to pull it closed.
Or, hand/arm prints on the door glass from my arm leaning against it.

I.e., the back and rear windows never need cleaning (no one sits back there
nor touches the glass)

Step 2 is a microfiber cloth and water. Wet cloth with plain water, wipe
glass. Done. Works better than anything I've ever used. Do it once a month
and you won't need step 1

Our usage pattern is REALLY low/infrequent. E.g., the car is barely on the
road for ~15-20 hours/month.

I suspect the cloth and water might not cut the oils that accompany
fingerprints?

Windex, Invisible Glass, etc. all do a great job of cleaning. But, seem
to want to leave streaks unless you are insanely diligent.

Maybe your original suggestion: cleaner with the follow through of a
"damp cloth"?

(I still want to try the stuff we use on the house windows as there's a
LOT of glass there and we never see any streaks!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

We've tried windex (with and without ammonia), "the pink stuff" (name
slips my mind), vinegar, Invisible Glass, etc. I even tried a
"dry erase eraser" (works pretty good but you need a LOT of elbow
grease; and, hard to get at the inside low edge of the windshield
where you can barely fit your fingertips!)

Phantom appears to be a CA brand.

Microfiber cloths DO make polishing glass a lot easier though, for
sure. I still have most of a bottle of Phantom left from my dealership
days when it was what we used to detail cars for the show-room or lot
- back before microfiber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 23:51:57 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If really dirty I do two steps. Step 1. A quick wash with Windex and
paper towels. Usually leaves some streaks.

Step 2 is a microfiber cloth and water. Wet cloth with plain water,
wipe glass. Done. Works better than anything I've ever used. Do it
once a month and you won't need step 1

I read somewhere about using a microfiber cloth for computer and tv
screens too. But what the heck is a "microfiber cloth" and where fo you
get them? (Brand names will help).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

But, no such luck with the car. *Any* car! Windshields
are always a chore cuz of the low attack angle (can't get
to the glass as it nears the dashboard). Other windows are
too small/odd shaped for a squeegee.

Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?

I just take my van to the drive-thru car wash.

And that does the inside? Amazing

I clean the inside myself. I tried one of those places that do the
inside and didn't really like what they did.

You didn't answer the question the original
poster asked.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

But, no such luck with the car. *Any* car! Windshields
are always a chore cuz of the low attack angle (can't get
to the glass as it nears the dashboard). Other windows are
too small/odd shaped for a squeegee.

Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?

I recently tried some of the yellow
Rain-X washer fluid. Smells funny,
but works well.

I just take my van to the drive-thru car wash.

And that does the inside? Amazing

Maybe he leaves the windows and sun roof open and the tailgate up.
Probably props the hood open too for a degreased engine.

--
If you don't want minimum wage, don't have minimum skills.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 9:50:51 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/14/2016 4:16 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 23:51:57 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If really dirty I do two steps. Step 1. A quick wash with Windex and
paper towels. Usually leaves some streaks.

Step 2 is a microfiber cloth and water. Wet cloth with plain water,
wipe glass. Done. Works better than anything I've ever used. Do it
once a month and you won't need step 1

I read somewhere about using a microfiber cloth for computer and tv
screens too. But what the heck is a "microfiber cloth" and where fo you
get them? (Brand names will help).

Get them at Wal Mart, K-Mart, Sears, Target. Any place that had
eyeglasses.

I have one that I use for the screen on my phone. Bought it at the
optical department at Wal Mart. The other one i have is not as smooth
but it was in the cleaning supplies section of wherever I saw it. Just
wet it and wipe.

You can get them at Amazon too. Microfiber has a very thin stran as
compared to a T shirt material. Something like 100,000 fibers per inch.

Well, I think the ones you get at an eyeglass retailer might be a little small for
cleaning car windows. Can't you just picture PaintedCow trying to wipe down
a windshield with a 3" x 3" cloth? ;-)

But seriously, you have to be careful when choosing your microfiber towels.

I bought some at an automotive store for wiping down the vehicles after I wash them.
They absorb tons of water, can be wrung out and used again right away. Then I bought
some someplace else, may have been HF or maybe a Dollar Store, and all they did was
push the water around the surface. A bath towel would have done a better job.

It would be a shame for someone to buy the cheap ones just because they say
Microfiber on the package then get home and wonder why we're all saying how great
they are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 19:24:44 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?

I use sudsy ammonia in warm water with a micro fiber cloth.
Wash the glass, and then wipe with a clean damp micro fiber cloth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2016 4:16 AM, wrote:
[...]

I've been following this conversation and must admit that I'm a bit
confused by the terms being used.

I don't like cleaning cloths that are labeled microfiber because I don't
think they do much except push stuff around. At least that's been my
experience with them.

When I think of cleaning a car, I've always thought of the type of towel
used to be a chamois, which soaks up water and can be wrung out and used
again.

I don't know eye glass cleaning cloths are called, but the one I have is
definitely not microfiber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

The secret for the final clean is a damp MICROFIBER cloth made for
the purpose. They don't leave streaks like cotton can and normal
polyester or poly-cotton will.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

Nope. Kebro Co in Des Moines Iowa. It is a professional product - not
a consumer product so you won't find it at a big box store.

Microfiber cloths DO make polishing glass a lot easier though, for
sure. I still have most of a bottle of Phantom left from my dealership
days when it was what we used to detail cars for the show-room or lot
- back before microfiber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2016 4:16 AM, wrote:
[...]

I'll bet it is - just a lot better microfiber than the junk you
bought as microfiber.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2016 11:50 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 22:39:45 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

Note google yields no results -- outside of CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

For the house windows, virgin newsprint is the answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2016 4:16 AM, wrote:
[...]

We use a chamois for drying the vehicle. We've tried genuine chamois
and "synthetic".

But, on glass, the chamois needs to be wrung BONE dry in order not to
streak.

I don't know eye glass cleaning cloths are called, but the one I have is
definitely not microfiber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:14:38 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/14/2016 11:50 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 22:39:45 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

Kebro Inc., (515) 276-1769, 10110 Douglas Avenue Des Moines IA
50323-7765 USA. Kebro Inc. offers Specialty Clng Plshng/Sanitation
(Mfr), Chemicals and Allied Products related products and services in
Des Moines. Outside Des Moines, call +1.5152761769.

See:
http://www.trademarkia.com/phantom-72394317.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

We used to use newsprint at the dealership too --
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2016 12:34 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:14:38 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/14/2016 11:50 AM,
wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 22:39:45 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

So, I have to buy from the factory? No retail/wholesale outlets?

Maybe I'll just try some of the autodetailers in town and try to buy
some from their stock (?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2016 12:35 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:15:51 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

The local newpaper(s) -- I think they all print out of one
shared facility -- makes "roll ends" available once a week.
*Lots* of paper on a roll end -- at least when you're just
using it for washing windows!

[OTOH, they are a PITA to store! And, the cores seem sinful to
just discard...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?

I use sudsy ammonia in warm water with a micro fiber cloth.
Wash the glass, and then wipe with a clean damp micro fiber cloth.

SWMBO has a problem with ammonia. We've tried Windex w/o ammonia
but it was no better than *with*.

I'm going to try the stuff we use on the house windows -- if
it will "spray" well. But, I think the real problem is the
drying/removal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?

I use sudsy ammonia in warm water with a micro fiber cloth.
Wash the glass, and then wipe with a clean damp micro fiber cloth.

SWMBO has a problem with ammonia. We've tried Windex w/o ammonia
but it was no better than *with*.

I'm going to try the stuff we use on the house windows -- if
it will "spray" well. But, I think the real problem is the
drying/removal.

The stuff I use doesn't have the ugly fumes like regular ammonia from
years ago, even scented. I get it locally -- most any grocery store.
It cuts dirt and grime very well. Once cleaned a sliding patio door,
dang if I didn't walk right into the glass 5 minutes later :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:39:23 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/14/2016 12:35 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:15:51 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

We found "inked" newsprint was as good as or better than "virgin"
newsprint - whether it was th carbon in the ink acting as a "compound"
or what, I don't know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 6:24 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I read somewhere that fine steel wool gets rid of the water spots
on the exterior. My windows are 26 years old and the stuff on the
outside won't come off with cleaners.

I've been afraid to try to polish with steel wool. Anybody tried that?

Cleaning Glass Rick Hughes[_3_] UK diy 12 April 20th 11 06:06 PM
Repairing Auto Glass 33223 Home Repair 2 December 1st 07 11:59 AM
Repairing Auto Glass 33223 Home Repair 0 November 29th 07 08:56 AM
Cleaning glass? newman UK diy 24 March 13th 05 10:40 AM
Self-cleaning glass ? Timothy Murphy UK diy 18 October 30th 04 12:21 PM