Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT auto glass cleaning

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 9:50:51 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/14/2016 4:16 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 23:51:57 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If really dirty I do two steps. Step 1. A quick wash with Windex and
paper towels. Usually leaves some streaks.

Step 2 is a microfiber cloth and water. Wet cloth with plain water,
wipe glass. Done. Works better than anything I've ever used. Do it
once a month and you won't need step 1

I read somewhere about using a microfiber cloth for computer and tv
screens too. But what the heck is a "microfiber cloth" and where fo you
get them? (Brand names will help).

Get them at Wal Mart, K-Mart, Sears, Target. Any place that had
eyeglasses.

I have one that I use for the screen on my phone. Bought it at the
optical department at Wal Mart. The other one i have is not as smooth
but it was in the cleaning supplies section of wherever I saw it. Just
wet it and wipe.

You can get them at Amazon too. Microfiber has a very thin stran as
compared to a T shirt material. Something like 100,000 fibers per inch.

Well, I think the ones you get at an eyeglass retailer might be a little small for
cleaning car windows. Can't you just picture PaintedCow trying to wipe down
a windshield with a 3" x 3" cloth? ;-)

But seriously, you have to be careful when choosing your microfiber towels.

I bought some at an automotive store for wiping down the vehicles after I wash them.
They absorb tons of water, can be wrung out and used again right away. Then I bought
some someplace else, may have been HF or maybe a Dollar Store, and all they did was
push the water around the surface. A bath towel would have done a better job.

It would be a shame for someone to buy the cheap ones just because they say
Microfiber on the package then get home and wonder why we're all saying how great
they are.