Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT auto glass cleaning

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:39:23 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/14/2016 12:35 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:15:51 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/14/2016 11:48 AM,
wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 22:37:08 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/13/2016 9:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/13/2016 9:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

But, no such luck with the car. *Any* car! Windshields
are always a chore cuz of the low attack angle (can't get
to the glass as it nears the dashboard). Other windows are
too small/odd shaped for a squeegee.

And, of course, you never know if you've done a good-enough
job until you get the car out in the sun and try to SEE
through all your invisible smudges! :

Presently using "Invisible Glass" which *seems* to do a good job
but ONLY if you diligently remove ALL traces before it dries.

Next time, I'll try the stuff we use on the house windows
(pour some of it into a spray bottle). Maybe see if I can find a
TINY squeegee with which to apply it; virgin newsprint to dry.

Anyone have any secret (cleaning) solutions or techniques?

If really dirty I do two steps. Step 1. A quick wash with Windex and paper
towels. Usually leaves some streaks.

They are rarely dirty from normal driving. Sure, when it rains, they get
"mud spotted" -- but that comes off with the wipers, etc.

What usually happens is they get fingerprints from installing and
removing the front window shade. Or, the door windows show prints
as I wrap my hands around the edge of the door to pull it closed.
Or, hand/arm prints on the door glass from my arm leaning against it.

I.e., the back and rear windows never need cleaning (no one sits back there
nor touches the glass)

Step 2 is a microfiber cloth and water. Wet cloth with plain water, wipe
glass. Done. Works better than anything I've ever used. Do it once a month
and you won't need step 1

Our usage pattern is REALLY low/infrequent. E.g., the car is barely on the
road for ~15-20 hours/month.

I suspect the cloth and water might not cut the oils that accompany
fingerprints?

Windex, Invisible Glass, etc. all do a great job of cleaning. But, seem
to want to leave streaks unless you are insanely diligent.

Maybe your original suggestion: cleaner with the follow through of a
"damp cloth"?

(I still want to try the stuff we use on the house windows as there's a
LOT of glass there and we never see any streaks!)
The secret for the final clean is a damp MICROFIBER cloth made for
the purpose. They don't leave streaks like cotton can and normal
polyester or poly-cotton will.

For the house windows, virgin newsprint is the answer.

We used to use newsprint at the dealership too --

The local newpaper(s) -- I think they all print out of one
shared facility -- makes "roll ends" available once a week.
*Lots* of paper on a roll end -- at least when you're just
using it for washing windows!

[OTOH, they are a PITA to store! And, the cores seem sinful to
just discard...]

We found "inked" newsprint was as good as or better than "virgin"
newsprint - whether it was th carbon in the ink acting as a "compound"
or what, I don't know.