newman

Default Cleaning glass?

What materials are recommended to clean windows and mirrors and leave
them free of streaks and fluff?

Regards
Chris Bacon

newman wrote:
What materials are recommended to clean windows and mirrors and leave
them free of streaks and fluff?

Windolene on a clean cloth, and elbow grease.
brugnospamsia

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
newman wrote:
What materials are recommended to clean windows and mirrors and leave
them free of streaks and fluff?

Windolene on a clean cloth, and elbow grease.

Cheap clear pickling vinegar from the greengrocer, diluted in water plus
newspaper - wipe horizontally on one side and vertically on the other so you
can locate any streaks.

I don't go in for window cleaning myself, but I know it works and it was
confirmed by a "domestic goddess" on the telly last week :-)

Vinegar is all I use in the loo too, but apparently will be enhanced by the
use of borax - once I can find a cheap local source ...

=========================

Christian McArdle

What materials are recommended to clean windows and mirrors and leave
them free of streaks and fluff?

I use a bucket of warm water with a slug of vinegar added. Apply and scrub
with sponge. Wipe off with squeegee.

Christian.

Pete

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:06:07 -0000, "Holly, in France"
wrote:

newman wrote:

What materials are recommended to clean windows and mirrors and leave
them free of streaks and fluff?

Damp newspaper followed by dry newspaper. The cheaper quality the
paper/ink the better.

Absolutely. I used to make and deliver glazed bookcases, and that's
what we did when we left the factory. Works a treat.

Chris Bacon

Holly, in France wrote:
newman wrote:
What materials are recommended to clean windows and mirrors and leave
them free of streaks and fluff?

Damp newspaper followed by dry newspaper. The cheaper quality the
paper/ink the better.

Also well worth washing the windows carefully first - if grit gets
embedded in the paper, cloth, or WHY, then it scratches the glass...
Holly, in France

--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Holly, in France"
wrote:

Damp newspaper followed by dry newspaper. The cheaper quality the
paper/ink the better.

Up to a point. You need to avoid coloured inks, which rules out most
of the free-ads papers. I use our local one because it's really awful
paper and cleans better than the Grauniad does - but I have to take
the colour-printed outer pages off, otherwise the red smears.
doozer

Chris Bacon wrote:
newman wrote:

What materials are recommended to clean windows and mirrors and leave
them free of streaks and fluff?

Windolene on a clean cloth, and elbow grease.

You've got to make sure it's the original stuff in the pink bottle as
well not the new clear squirt on stuff. The new stuff just doesn't cut
the mustard.

Stuart

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:00:21 +0000, doozer
wrote:

Chris Bacon wrote:
newman wrote:

What materials are recommended to clean windows and mirrors and leave
them free of streaks and fluff?

Windolene on a clean cloth, and elbow grease.

You've got to make sure it's the original stuff in the pink bottle as
well not the new clear squirt on stuff. The new stuff just doesn't cut
the mustard.

I belive ethat the "pink" Windolene has just been re-introduced but
water anf vinegar with newspaper to polish off is still best .
Stuart.
Stuart
Holly, in France

wrote:

Damp newspaper followed by dry newspaper. The cheaper quality the
paper/ink the better.

Up to a point. You need to avoid coloured inks, which rules out most
of the free-ads papers. I use our local one because it's really awful
paper and cleans better than the Grauniad does - but I have to take
the colour-printed outer pages off, otherwise the red smears.

Yes, good point. Most stuff we get here has shiny paper if it has
coloured ink, no good on either count :-)
--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,
website: http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr

Mary Fisher

"newman" wrote in message
What materials are recommended to clean windows and mirrors and leave
them free of streaks and fluff?

A steam cleaner.

Mary

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
newman wrote:
What materials are recommended to clean windows and mirrors and leave
them free of streaks and fluff?

If out of the sun, warm water with a sploosh of washing up liquid, rinse
with clean, then dry with a chamois.

--
*Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Stuart writes:

I belive ethat the "pink" Windolene has just been re-introduced but
water anf vinegar with newspaper to polish off is still best .

My father discovered it is very good for removing the conducting
component from rear windscreen heaters. They still look the same
afterwards, but they don't have any of the metal left on them;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

doozer

Chris Bacon wrote:
doozer wrote:

Chris Bacon wrote:

Windolene on a clean cloth, and elbow grease.

You've got to make sure it's the original stuff in the pink bottle as
well not the new clear squirt on stuff. The new stuff just doesn't cut
the mustard.

New stuff?!? faints

The new windolene is like every other window cleaner out there, just
some vinegar formulation. I, personally, don't think that the vinegar
and water window cleaners are all that great but maybe it's because I
haven't tried polishing with newspaper.

I imagine that the newspaper is acting as an absorbent and it's very
slight abrasiveness polishes the glass removing the streaks and possibly
microscopic scratches too which is why you get such a great finish.

The old windolene came with the abrasive in the bottle so you could use
a soft cloth and get the same effect and because it was white you could
easily see missed bits*.

Any body else have any ideas why newspaper is so good?

*I remember it was a pain to get out of the corners though.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
doozer wrote:
Any body else have any ideas why newspaper is so good?

IIRC, it's from the days they used carbon based inks which imparted a
shine to glass. Modern inks don't.

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Lee

newman wrote:
What materials are recommended to clean windows and mirrors and leave
them free of streaks and fluff?

Regards

Lidl isopropanol based glass cleaner works fine for me, spray and wipe
*which does leave streaks*, then wait until it's nearly dry and buff off
with a clean cloth. Does require a little elbow grease.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
p00kie

"newman" wrote in message
What materials are recommended to clean windows and mirrors and leave
them free of streaks and fluff?

Regards

The autoglym screen cleaner ... and a clean lint free cloth .. works a
treat!

jacob

There is a glaziers glass cleaner under various brands. The one I've
got is called 'Nilglas Nilco Glass Cleaner' in a polythene squirty
bottle. Made by Bluecol.
Very effective even on very dirty old glass but a bit fierce on
paintwork - a bit like sugar soap. Decorators paint that is, is ok on
car body work.
Try glazier, glass supplier or motor factor.

cheers

Jacob

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Holly, in France wrote:
newman wrote:

What materials are recommended to clean windows and mirrors and leave
them free of streaks and fluff?

Damp newspaper followed by dry newspaper. The cheaper quality the
paper/ink the better.

Splash a reasonable amount of vinegar into the water of the "wetting"
bucket. Makes for an even better job.

However, of late, I have found a good "squeegee" as used by window
cleaners is the top job. I can clean the shop windows in minutes.
No streaks as the water is taken off completely in one go.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Phil Addison

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:00:18 +0000 (GMT), in uk.d-i-y "Dave Plowman
(News)" wrote:

In article ,
doozer wrote:
Any body else have any ideas why newspaper is so good?

IIRC, it's from the days they used carbon based inks which imparted a
shine to glass. Modern inks don't.

I think the carbon acts as an anti-static. In a picture framing lesson
at our local 'Framers' I was told it is the only way to get the glass
dust-free. It certainly works for that. You get a handful of screwed up
newspaper and polish the glass with it.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:
IIRC, it's from the days they used carbon based inks which imparted a
shine to glass. Modern inks don't.

I think the carbon acts as an anti-static. In a picture framing lesson
at our local 'Framers' I was told it is the only way to get the glass
dust-free. It certainly works for that. You get a handful of screwed up
newspaper and polish the glass with it.

I understood modern inks were carbon free? They certainly don't make your
hands back as once.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Phil Addison

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:36:49 +0000 (GMT), in uk.d-i-y "Dave Plowman
(News)" wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:
IIRC, it's from the days they used carbon based inks which imparted a
shine to glass. Modern inks don't.

I think the carbon acts as an anti-static. In a picture framing lesson
at our local 'Framers' I was told it is the only way to get the glass
dust-free. It certainly works for that. You get a handful of screwed up
newspaper and polish the glass with it.

I understood modern inks were carbon free? They certainly don't make your
hands back as once.

You haven't read the torygraph lately then? ;-)

Whatever it is in the paper, it stops the static - maybe wood pulp alone
is enough, I dunno but it does the trick. It's rough enough to scour
traces of muck off the glass, and absorbent enough to soak up grease
spots too. An all round good solution.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Mary Fisher

"Phil Addison" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:36:49 +0000 (GMT), in uk.d-i-y "Dave Plowman
(News)" wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:
IIRC, it's from the days they used carbon based inks which imparted a
shine to glass. Modern inks don't.

I think the carbon acts as an anti-static. In a picture framing lesson
at our local 'Framers' I was told it is the only way to get the glass
dust-free. It certainly works for that. You get a handful of screwed up
newspaper and polish the glass with it.

I understood modern inks were carbon free? They certainly don't make your
hands back as once.

You haven't read the torygraph lately then? ;-)

Whatever it is in the paper, it stops the static - maybe wood pulp alone
is enough, I dunno but it does the trick. It's rough enough to scour
traces of muck off the glass, and absorbent enough to soak up grease
spots too. An all round good solution.

Only if you have newspapers. I still say that the steam cleaner is the dibs.

Mary

Glueing Glass xavier UK diy 17 November 16th 04 05:29 PM
Cleaning Track for Sliding Glass Door DangerMan Home Repair 6 October 15th 04 01:31 AM
Cleaning glass vases Suz UK diy 12 January 2nd 04 11:18 PM
Cleaning Creosote off Glass Fireplace Doors Michael Home Repair 7 December 20th 03 03:27 PM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM