Suz

Default Cleaning glass vases

Is there a miracle product for taking that scum from flower vases?

I have a very pretty one that would be nice to display without flowers, but
it has a tiny neck that means scrubbing the inside is nigh on impossible.
Is there something that I can pour in to make it sparkling clean again?

TIA
Suzanne

Andrew Mawson

"Suz" wrote in message
Is there a miracle product for taking that scum from flower vases?

I have a very pretty one that would be nice to display without flowers,

but
it has a tiny neck that means scrubbing the inside is nigh on impossible.
Is there something that I can pour in to make it sparkling clean again?

TIA
Suzanne

Suzanne,

The old remedy was to put crushed egg shells in and give it a vigerous
shaking with a stopper in the neck (thumb over it?) It works for all but the
hardest deposits for which you need to do the same with a bit of sharp sand.
If the deposit is 'water hardness' rather than organic bits from the flower
stems, a bit of kettle de-scaler would help.

Andrew Mawson

BigWallop

"Suz" wrote in message ...
Is there a miracle product for taking that scum from flower vases?

I have a very pretty one that would be nice to display without flowers, but
it has a tiny neck that means scrubbing the inside is nigh on impossible.
Is there something that I can pour in to make it sparkling clean again?

TIA
Suzanne

Soap powder mixed quite thick with a little drop warm water. Pour the mixture in the vase and swirl the
vase around, don't drop it, until it shifts the grime of the inside. You can also use it for cleaning the
outside if you use a cloth to rub it on with. Soap powder is very mild abrasive, so it doesn't damage
glass or pottery.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

TonyK

"Suz" wrote in message
Is there a miracle product for taking that scum from flower vases?

I have a very pretty one that would be nice to display without flowers,

but
it has a tiny neck that means scrubbing the inside is nigh on impossible.
Is there something that I can pour in to make it sparkling clean again?

TIA
Suzanne

Sterident (sp)? or any other denture cleaner works a treat. Soak overnight.

Tony

Set Square

Suz wrote:

Is there a miracle product for taking that scum from flower vases?

I have a very pretty one that would be nice to display without
flowers, but it has a tiny neck that means scrubbing the inside is
nigh on impossible. Is there something that I can pour in to make it
sparkling clean again?

TIA
Suzanne

Stick it (upside down) in a dishwasher. Works miracles!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Suz

Is there a miracle product for taking that scum from flower vases?

I have a very pretty one that would be nice to display without
flowers, but it has a tiny neck that means scrubbing the inside is
nigh on impossible. Is there something that I can pour in to make it
sparkling clean again?

TIA
Suzanne

Stick it (upside down) in a dishwasher. Works miracles!

GRR*&$**##*!!!!!!!!
Thanks for reminding me that I don't have a dishwasher.

Set Square

Suz wrote:

Is there a miracle product for taking that scum from flower vases?

Stick it (upside down) in a dishwasher. Works miracles!

I don't have a dishwasher.

Perhaps you have a friend who does?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Lobster

"Suz" wrote in message .. .
Is there a miracle product for taking that scum from flower vases?

I have a very pretty one that would be nice to display without flowers, but
it has a tiny neck that means scrubbing the inside is nigh on impossible.
Is there something that I can pour in to make it sparkling clean again?

Small handful of fine gravel (or a small length of bathplug chain) -
add a slug of water and shake vigourously.

David
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 11:35:02 -0000, "Set Square"
wrote:

Stick it (upside down) in a dishwasher. Works miracles!

Frosts the glass too !

Set Square

wrote:

Stick it (upside down) in a dishwasher. Works miracles!

Frosts the glass too !

Not for a one-off! I've just cleaned a vinegar decanter in that way, and it
came up a treat - with no sign of frosting, except the existing bit where
the stopper fits into the neck.

[BTW, the lady has said that she hasn't got a dishwasher - so won't be
following my advice anyway!] g
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Colin Wilson

Stick it (upside down) in a dishwasher. Works miracles!
Thanks for reminding me that I don't have a dishwasher.

It isn`t lead crystal is it ? That can go cloudy in a dishwasher IIRC

Sparks

"Suz" wrote in message
Is there a miracle product for taking that scum from flower vases?

I have a very pretty one that would be nice to display without flowers,

but
it has a tiny neck that means scrubbing the inside is nigh on impossible.
Is there something that I can pour in to make it sparkling clean again?

TIA
Suzanne

Not the same, but I use washing powder to clean the inside of my tea pot.

I put a generous amount of powder in (enough for a normal wash)
then pour on hot water, and leave it over night

Teapot comes up like new, maybe it will work on glass!
(Might be an idea to use luke warm water on the vase though!)

Sparks...