Timothy Murphy

Default Self-cleaning glass ?

I read several years ago that Pilkingtons had developed
a new kind of glass, with some kind of activated surface
which kept the glass clean.
IIRC, the glass was intended for use in very tall buildings
where it is impractical to clean from the outside.

I wonder if anything came of this?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
N. Thornton

Timothy Murphy wrote in message ...
I read several years ago that Pilkingtons had developed
a new kind of glass, with some kind of activated surface
which kept the glass clean.
IIRC, the glass was intended for use in very tall buildings
where it is impractical to clean from the outside.

I wonder if anything came of this?

I knew a window cleaner that saw a factory done in this, said every
time he went past it it was filthy. IIUC it speeds up oxidisation of
bird ****, so it has some clean-enhancingness, but is by no means
fully self cleaning.
Timothy Murphy

Ziggur wrote:

I read several years ago that Pilkingtons had developed
a new kind of glass, with some kind of activated surface
which kept the glass clean.
IIRC, the glass was intended for use in very tall buildings
where it is impractical to clean from the outside.

I wonder if anything came of this?

Try this:

http://www.pilkington.com/internatio...iv/default.htm

Thanks ... exactly what I was looking for.
It claims Ireland has been chosen as a testing ground for this glass.
Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about the cost
or where it can be obtained,
but I have written to them to ask.

I live in a 4-storey building (an old orphanage)
and it is more or less impossible to get at the higher windows
from outside - the only way to clean them
is by taking them out internally.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Jethro

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Timothy Murphy wrote in message

I read several years ago that Pilkingtons had developed
a new kind of glass, with some kind of activated surface
which kept the glass clean.
IIRC, the glass was intended for use in very tall buildings
where it is impractical to clean from the outside.

I wonder if anything came of this?

I knew a window cleaner that saw a factory done in this, said every
time he went past it it was filthy. IIUC it speeds up oxidisation of
bird ****, so it has some clean-enhancingness, but is by no means
fully self cleaning.

Mind you, he would, wouldn't he :-)

Broadback

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Thanks ... exactly what I was looking for.
It claims Ireland has been chosen as a testing ground for this glass.
Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about the cost
or where it can be obtained,
but I have written to them to ask.

I live in a 4-storey building (an old orphanage)
and it is more or less impossible to get at the higher windows
from outside - the only way to clean them
is by taking them out internally.

As long ago as the early 1960s while in Germany all the windows in the
modern flats opened inwards, so cleaning was a doddle, surely that type
of window is available here?

Mary Fisher

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Timothy Murphy wrote in message
I read several years ago that Pilkingtons had developed
a new kind of glass, with some kind of activated surface
which kept the glass clean.
IIRC, the glass was intended for use in very tall buildings
where it is impractical to clean from the outside.

I wonder if anything came of this?

I knew a window cleaner that saw a factory done in this, said every
time he went past it it was filthy. IIUC it speeds up oxidisation of
bird ****, so it has some clean-enhancingness, but is by no means
fully self cleaning.

But bird **** isn't the only muck on a window. Not on ours anyway.

Mary

Malcolm Stewart

"Broadback" wrote in message
Timothy Murphy wrote:

As long ago as the early 1960s while in Germany all the windows in the
modern flats opened inwards, so cleaning was a doddle, surely that type
of window is available here?

.... and in the RAF barracks I lived in from 1958-9 at Scharfoldendorf (south
of Hanover). These were triple glazed.

We had them in a building I worked in, in Milton Keynes and built in ~
1988-90.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Timothy Murphy

Broadback wrote:

As long ago as the early 1960s while in Germany all the windows in the
modern flats opened inwards, so cleaning was a doddle, surely that type
of window is available here?

Mine are sash windows in a listed building.
I'd have to get planning permission to change them.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
N. Thornton

"Jethro" wrote in message ...
"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Timothy Murphy wrote in message

I read several years ago that Pilkingtons had developed
a new kind of glass, with some kind of activated surface
which kept the glass clean.
IIRC, the glass was intended for use in very tall buildings
where it is impractical to clean from the outside.

I wonder if anything came of this?

I knew a window cleaner that saw a factory done in this, said every
time he went past it it was filthy. IIUC it speeds up oxidisation of
bird ****, so it has some clean-enhancingness, but is by no means
fully self cleaning.

Mind you, he would, wouldn't he :-)

kind of. I knew him for real, not for business. I expect bias but not
bs. I did tease him about it occasionally but he seemed quite
convinced it was junk.

NT
Jan Wysocki

In article , Timothy Murphy wrote:
I read several years ago that Pilkingtons had developed
a new kind of glass, with some kind of activated surface
which kept the glass clean.
IIRC, the glass was intended for use in very tall buildings
where it is impractical to clean from the outside.

I wonder if anything came of this?

I thought they announced this only last year. As it happens I picked
up a couple of sheets of glass in my local glass merchants on
Saturday and noticed that they had a poster advertising this glass,
so I guess the answer is that our local glass merchants will have
it or can order it.

I'm still waiting for the ultra thin sheets of glass that were
heralded 10 or more years ago to finally materialise as a flexible
scratchproof surface for motorcycle visors, grrr!

--
Jan
Jonathan G Campbell

Ziggur wrote:

I read several years ago that Pilkingtons had developed

[...]

Try this:

http://www.pilkington.com/internatio...iv/default.htm

Thanks ... exactly what I was looking for.
It claims Ireland has been chosen as a testing ground for this glass.
Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about the cost
or where it can be obtained,
but I have written to them to ask.

I know of someone here in Ireland that has had them fitted by the
Senator company.

I must enquire as to the effectiveness of the self-cleaning. Maybe
worth an experiment; now how could one simulate bird-droppings?

Best regards,

Jon C.
Owain

"Timothy Murphy" wrote
| Mine are sash windows in a listed building.
| I'd have to get planning permission to change them.

Wood box and sash windows are traditional in Scottish tenements (up to 10
storeys in parts of Edinburgh) and are cleanable from the inside. The top
sash is cleaned by lowering it and reaching over the top of the sash from
inside. The bottom sash is cleaned by removing one of the side beadings (on
my windows they are hinged to allow this) and swinging the bottom sash in
about halfway. There are brass slotted hinges on the box to hang the sash
on.

Do you have the whole of a four-storey former orphanage, or just a flat?
Either way, might be worth considering a window cleaning contractor every
quarter with a cherry picker to do the whole building.

Owain

Chris J Dixon

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Broadback wrote:

As long ago as the early 1960s while in Germany all the windows in the
modern flats opened inwards, so cleaning was a doddle, surely that type
of window is available here?

Mine are sash windows in a listed building.
I'd have to get planning permission to change them.

In my youth I was always a little perturbed to see women hanging
out of sash windows, sitting on the window ledge, and thus being
able to clean the outsides of the glass.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Mary Fisher

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Timothy Murphy wrote:

Broadback wrote:

As long ago as the early 1960s while in Germany all the windows in the
modern flats opened inwards, so cleaning was a doddle, surely that type
of window is available here?

Mine are sash windows in a listed building.
I'd have to get planning permission to change them.

In my youth I was always a little perturbed to see women hanging
out of sash windows, sitting on the window ledge, and thus being
able to clean the outsides of the glass.

I was fascinated to see my mother and neighbours doing this and it was a
rite de passage when I was allowed to do it - I was grown up!

Only the other day I was yearning for it - you simply don't have the safety
feature of the drawn-down window with casements :-(

That's why God is left to clean our windows ...

Mary

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Malcolm Stewart

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

snipped
That's why God is left to clean our windows ...

Mary

I have my windows cleaned about once /month to 6 weeks. A friend living
about a mile away and in a similar position (i.e. we're both in side roads
away from the high dust levels of main roads etc.) does not have her windows
cleaned. The downstairs windows are as clean as mine; the upper part of the
upstairs windows, protected to a degree from rain by the overhang of the
roof and guttering are quite dirty.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

N. Thornton

Ziggur wrote:

I read several years ago that Pilkingtons had developed
a new kind of glass, with some kind of activated surface
which kept the glass clean.
IIRC, the glass was intended for use in very tall buildings
where it is impractical to clean from the outside.

I wonder if anything came of this?

Try this:

http://www.pilkington.com/internatio...iv/default.htm

Thanks ... exactly what I was looking for.
It claims Ireland has been chosen as a testing ground for this glass.
Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about the cost
or where it can be obtained,
but I have written to them to ask.

I live in a 4-storey building (an old orphanage)
and it is more or less impossible to get at the higher windows
from outside - the only way to clean them
is by taking them out internally.

try a fishtank cleaner - and attach the outside half to a atring so it
cant drop. Then with a bent coathanger you can move it from pane to
pane.

A fishtank cleaner is just 2 magnets, with cloth over each. Move the
interior one, the exterior one follows.

Another maybe would be a water and detergent jet from the ground.

NT

Cleaning Track for Sliding Glass Door DangerMan Home Repair 6 October 15th 04 01:31 AM
Cleaning glass vases Suz UK diy 12 January 2nd 04 11:18 PM
Cleaning Creosote off Glass Fireplace Doors Michael Home Repair 7 December 20th 03 03:27 PM