N. Thornton

Timothy Murphy wrote in message ...
Ziggur wrote:

I read several years ago that Pilkingtons had developed
a new kind of glass, with some kind of activated surface
which kept the glass clean.
IIRC, the glass was intended for use in very tall buildings
where it is impractical to clean from the outside.

I wonder if anything came of this?

Try this:

http://www.pilkington.com/internatio...iv/default.htm

Thanks ... exactly what I was looking for.
It claims Ireland has been chosen as a testing ground for this glass.
Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about the cost
or where it can be obtained,
but I have written to them to ask.

I live in a 4-storey building (an old orphanage)
and it is more or less impossible to get at the higher windows
from outside - the only way to clean them
is by taking them out internally.

try a fishtank cleaner - and attach the outside half to a atring so it
cant drop. Then with a bent coathanger you can move it from pane to
pane.

A fishtank cleaner is just 2 magnets, with cloth over each. Move the
interior one, the exterior one follows.

Another maybe would be a water and detergent jet from the ground.

NT