Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's a good brand name for Toilets?

What's a good brand name for Toilets?

I know they all have good and bad points, but what are some better
brands?

A relative wants to replace theirs and I told them I'd help install it,
but I have not bought a toilet in many years, so I dont know what brand
to recommend. My own toilet is an Eljer, and I think it works well, but
I had another Eljer in another home and it was terrible. Always clogging
and so on... The worst toilet I ever had.

That alone says it's not just the maker, but the model too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| What's a good brand name for Toilets?

In general, Toto is best. They've been ahead in
technology for years. For instance, they make
the bowl deeper and narrower to make up for
the insufficient water supply in a 1.6 gallon flush.

Toto is also expensive. And most improvements
they've made are now shared by other brands. For
instance, in the early days of 1.6 gallon flush,
only expensive toilets had glazed interior ceramic
where the waste goes from bowl to drain. Now
they're all glazed. So if money is no object they
might want Toto. If it were me I'd just go for
something that looks nice. They'll probably all work
fine. But many are surprisingly ugly, with odd
shapes or plastic handles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Feb 2016 21:05:14 -0600, wrote:

What's a good brand name for Toilets?

Fart Master or Turd Tumbler. Check them on online reviews.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Feb 2016 21:05:14 -0600, wrote:

What's a good brand name for Toilets?

I know they all have good and bad points, but what are some better
brands?

A relative wants to replace theirs and I told them I'd help install it,
but I have not bought a toilet in many years, so I dont know what brand
to recommend. My own toilet is an Eljer, and I think it works well, but
I had another Eljer in another home and it was terrible. Always clogging
and so on... The worst toilet I ever had.

That alone says it's not just the maker, but the model too.

Consumer Reports has two best buys. The first is Glacier
Bay N2428E from Home Depot, $100. The second is Aquasource
AT1203-00 from Lowes, $100.
The top three rated in order:
St. Thomas Creations Richmond ECO (6123.218, 6125.028) $350
American Standard Champion 4 Max 2586.128ST.020 $240
Delta Riosa C43906 $270
All are single flush.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2016 11:18 PM, philo wrote:
On 02/05/2016 09:05 PM, wrote:
What's a good brand name for Toilets?

I know they all have good and bad points, but what are some better
brands?

A relative wants to replace theirs and I told them I'd help install it,
but I have not bought a toilet in many years, so I dont know what brand
to recommend. My own toilet is an Eljer, and I think it works well, but
I had another Eljer in another home and it was terrible. Always clogging
and so on... The worst toilet I ever had.

That alone says it's not just the maker, but the model too.

After getting a quote from a plumber for $2000 to replace my toilet,
I went to Home Depot and bought the cheapest one I could find...it was $80

Brand name is NIZA

That was two years ago and zero problems.

Took an hour or so to put it in.

I threw the $2000 quote away at once and never got to read to see if
maybe it included the plumber coming out to wipe my ass.

Been a few years since I had all my toilets replaced, four of them.

I used a plumber as while I could have done it I learned in putting one
back in place the disaster of over-tightening the floor bolts.

The larger diameter flapper ToTo was, I think about $350. Another ToTo
and 2 other brands were about $300 each. Might have been 3-4 years ago
when I got the last one and opted for cheaper as it was seldomly used.

Might be a lot more today but $2,000 is outrageous.

The first ToTo I mentioned works best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's a good brand name for Toilets?

I know they all have good and bad points, but what are some better
brands?

A relative wants to replace theirs and I told them I'd help install it,
but I have not bought a toilet in many years, so I dont know what brand
to recommend. My own toilet is an Eljer, and I think it works well, but
I had another Eljer in another home and it was terrible. Always clogging
and so on... The worst toilet I ever had.

That alone says it's not just the maker, but the model too.

Shouldn't that be the other way around?

It's not just any given model, it's the maker in general.

Unless, of course, it was just those two models ;-)

Anyway, I have two American Standard 1.28 gallon FloWise toilets. The plunger has been out in the shed since I bought them probably 6 years ago. They just don't clog.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-...-020/202964035

$168

10 year manufacturers warranty on the whole toilet, inside and out.

You can learn about the FloWise technology here.

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/l...tions/flowise/
Posted to alt.home.repair

What's a good brand name for Toilets?
I know they all have good and bad points, but what are some better
brands?

Personal experience, Koher is great. We have two at home and four at
work and they never miss. Comfort height is essential these days too
as the kneed get older.

I agree about Kohler and the comfort height.
We replaced two of three toilets a number of years ago -
- both are water-conserving, single flush -
the Kohler flushes strong - almost like it is pressurized it's not
- a cheaper Mansfield requires plunger-ing - way-too-often.
At the time, the Kohler was pretty close to Toto in price.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

presented the following explanation :
What's a good brand name for Toilets?

I know they all have good and bad points, but what are some better
brands?

A relative wants to replace theirs and I told them I'd help install it,
but I have not bought a toilet in many years, so I dont know what brand
to recommend. My own toilet is an Eljer, and I think it works well, but
I had another Eljer in another home and it was terrible. Always clogging
and so on... The worst toilet I ever had.

That alone says it's not just the maker, but the model too.

The best toilet is one that fits your needs. Options include different
heights, bowl shapes, styles, and flushing technologies. The best
toilets also save water while still delivering worry-free performance.
No need to flush twice to get the job done. No need to pay top dollar
either. Do you need a taller toilet, or a longer bowl? Many have
changed their dunnies for those options after they get older. They
don't want the long travel down to the bowl, they want to just sit
comfortably without stretching thier knees. Some need a longer bowl so
they don't have to "tuck in" their pecker to pee sitting. The option
for water saving is the norm here in California.
Kohler, American Standard are two of the most popular dunnies,
Whitehous and Barclay make some custom dunnies and in several colors to
suit your bathroom design.

Hope this helps get "the job" done. :')
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2016 06:47 AM, Frank wrote:

years since I had all my toilets replaced, four of them.

I used a plumber as while I could have done it I learned in putting one
back in place the disaster of over-tightening the floor bolts.

The larger diameter flapper ToTo was, I think about $350. Another ToTo
and 2 other brands were about $300 each. Might have been 3-4 years ago
when I got the last one and opted for cheaper as it was seldomly used.

Might be a lot more today but $2,000 is outrageous.

Totally insane.

When my wife saw me fooling with it she yelled at me to call a plumber,
so not really wanted to deal with it, I figured $500 , so what?

When they said $2000, even my wife was convinced that I should do it myself
The first ToTo I mentioned works best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 11:11:35 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 02/06/2016 06:47 AM, Frank wrote:

years since I had all my toilets replaced, four of them.

I used a plumber as while I could have done it I learned in putting one
back in place the disaster of over-tightening the floor bolts.

The larger diameter flapper ToTo was, I think about $350. Another ToTo
and 2 other brands were about $300 each. Might have been 3-4 years ago
when I got the last one and opted for cheaper as it was seldomly used.

Might be a lot more today but $2,000 is outrageous.

Totally insane.

When my wife saw me fooling with it she yelled at me to call a plumber,
so not really wanted to deal with it, I figured $500 , so what?

When they said $2000, even my wife was convinced that I should do it myself
The first ToTo I mentioned works best.

OT, but two grand to replace a toilet reminded me of something I just heard on
the NPR "Whad'ya Know" show. Some lady called in and mentioned that she worked
as a Customer Service Rep for a "luxury appliance" dealer.

The host asked her what a "luxury appliance" was. She said "Do you have an
extra $16,000 for a refrigerator?"

http://www.subzero-wolf.com/sub-zero.../refrigeration

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2016 12:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

OT, but two grand to replace a toilet reminded me of something I just heard on
the NPR "Whad'ya Know" show. Some lady called in and mentioned that she worked
as a Customer Service Rep for a "luxury appliance" dealer.

The host asked her what a "luxury appliance" was. She said "Do you have an
extra $16,000 for a refrigerator?"

http://www.subzero-wolf.com/sub-zero.../refrigeration

I like nice appliances, but that is far out of my range. Just bought a
new French door fridge for 1/7 that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2016 11:39 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

OT, but two grand to replace a toilet reminded me of something I just heard on
the NPR "Whad'ya Know" show. Some lady called in and mentioned that she worked
as a Customer Service Rep for a "luxury appliance" dealer.

The host asked her what a "luxury appliance" was. She said "Do you have an
extra $16,000 for a refrigerator?"

http://www.subzero-wolf.com/sub-zero.../refrigeration

I paid $30k for my house (years ago) but I'm thinking a $16k
refrigerator would be a bit out of place here.

At least I now know what kind of people would potentially pay $2k for a
toilet replacement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2016 11:45 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I like nice appliances, but that is far out of my range. Just bought a
new French door fridge for 1/7 that.

My "fridge" worked fine, just had to hold the door closed with magnets.

Wife did not like that so I told her to buy her own then, and she did.

$800 I think, it works just fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 05:11:11 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Anyway, I have two American Standard 1.28 gallon FloWise toilets. The plunger has been out in the shed since I bought them probably 6 years ago. They just don't clog.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-...-020/202964035

$168

Derby,

What is the Speed Connect® tank-to-bowl coupling system?

I'm in the market for a new toilet (ADA). I like the price
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyway, I have two American Standard 1.28 gallon FloWise toilets. The plunger has been out in the shed since I bought them probably 6 years ago. They just don't clog.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-...-020/202964035

$168

Derby,

What is the Speed ConnectŽ tank-to-bowl coupling system?

I'm in the market for a new toilet (ADA). I like the price

I don't really know, but it may be nothing more than hype. Both of the
following links show tank to bowl connection kits for American-Standard
toilets and they both use the term "speed connect bolt".

I don't really know what a "speed connect bolt" is.

I do see that the washer and nut is a single piece, which I guess would
be "speedier" but the only time they use the term "speed connect" it refers
to the bolts, not the nuts.

I just checked my 2 Cadet-3 toilets and they both have silver bolts with
large domed slotted heads. The bolts at the links below seem to be brown
but I don't see that they are any different than mine as far as "speed". I
don't recall if mine were called "speed connect" bolts since the toilets
have been in place for a few years.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Stand.../dp/B003H4BI3O

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/t...ling-Kit-6465/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Saw it in the PDF at HD and was curious if it was a super
dupper way to connect the tank and bowl. Your links seem that it is
just a typical method with a fancy name

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/0e/0e35f62a-b331-4c4b-80dd-c1d9e7f1824f.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 22:18:03 -0600, philo wrote:

On 02/05/2016 09:05 PM, wrote:
What's a good brand name for Toilets?

I know they all have good and bad points, but what are some better
brands?

A relative wants to replace theirs and I told them I'd help install it,
but I have not bought a toilet in many years, so I dont know what brand
to recommend. My own toilet is an Eljer, and I think it works well, but
I had another Eljer in another home and it was terrible. Always clogging
and so on... The worst toilet I ever had.

That alone says it's not just the maker, but the model too.

After getting a quote from a plumber for $2000 to replace my toilet,
I went to Home Depot and bought the cheapest one I could find...it was $80

Brand name is NIZA

Thanks for all the replies in here. $2000 for a toilet is outrageous.
But I'm sure they find a sucker every so often...

I've heard Toto is good, but they are pricy. I may check on these $80
ones. Price is an issue here, but I sure dont want this person bitching
later on that the toilet needs a plunger at least once a week either.

That old Eljer I used to have, needed a plunger at least once a week. I
hated that toilet. But the Eljer I have now flushs real well. I've had
it for about 3 years, I recall using a plunger twice in those years, and
that's because I used a little too much TP and did not flush in between.
The only repair I did was replace the seat. One of those padded seats
that was cracking. But that's normal.

That was two years ago and zero problems.

Took an hour or so to put it in.

I threw the $2000 quote away at once and never got to read to see if
maybe it included the plumber coming out to wipe my ass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You should ignore hearsay and Usenet posts and use some objective information.
The MaP scores were originally developed by the Canadian Waste Water Association
a decade or so ago. They've since been spun off into a separate organization.

http://www.map-testing.com/

It's important to ignore MaP ratings on boxes or from manufacturers and stick to
the reported scores. Some less than repuatble companies create their own MaP
rating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Feb 2016 10:16:07 -0700, Arthur Conan Doyle
wrote:

You should ignore hearsay and Usenet posts and use some objective information.

True. Some posters here have real life experience and freely share it.
It should always be independently verified, of course.

Derby posted about his 6 year old toilet so checked into it. The
model will save ~$250 +/-. Compared to one I was looking at.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/0e/0e35f62a-b331-4c4b-80dd-c1d9e7f1824f.pdf

The MaP scores were originally developed by the Canadian Waste Water Association
a decade or so ago. They've since been spun off into a separate organization.

http://www.map-testing.com/

It's important to ignore MaP ratings on boxes or from manufacturers and stick to
the reported scores. Some less than repuatble companies create their own MaP
rating.

Nice link, thanks. I checked the above toilet and it is one of the
"highly recommended" (middle range). I'll save money for guns, ammo
and more boy stuff :-)

Good advice from the link.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't buy Kohler.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2016 12:32 AM, Molly Brown wrote:
Don't buy Kohler.

Can you give a valid reason for that? Between work and home we have at
least 6 Kohlers that work perfectly over the past 8 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 14:15:45 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/9/2016 12:32 AM, Molly Brown wrote:
Don't buy Kohler.

Can you give a valid reason for that? Between work and home we have at
least 6 Kohlers that work perfectly over the past 8 years.

My Kohler is ~10 years old, installed by the first owner. Been good
with only an occasional plunger assist. Might be the changes in the TP
on sale? I'm changing it out for a comfort height (ADA) unit. Only
problem so far is one seat screw has a problem. The screw acts like
it has maybe a missed thread and I'll have to pull on it to get it
removed. Lift the screw while turning it out.