Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default What's a good brand name for Toilets?

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 22:18:03 -0600, philo wrote:

On 02/05/2016 09:05 PM, wrote:
What's a good brand name for Toilets?

I know they all have good and bad points, but what are some better
brands?

A relative wants to replace theirs and I told them I'd help install it,
but I have not bought a toilet in many years, so I dont know what brand
to recommend. My own toilet is an Eljer, and I think it works well, but
I had another Eljer in another home and it was terrible. Always clogging
and so on... The worst toilet I ever had.

That alone says it's not just the maker, but the model too.

After getting a quote from a plumber for $2000 to replace my toilet,
I went to Home Depot and bought the cheapest one I could find...it was $80

Brand name is NIZA

Thanks for all the replies in here. $2000 for a toilet is outrageous.
But I'm sure they find a sucker every so often...

I've heard Toto is good, but they are pricy. I may check on these $80
ones. Price is an issue here, but I sure dont want this person bitching
later on that the toilet needs a plunger at least once a week either.

That old Eljer I used to have, needed a plunger at least once a week. I
hated that toilet. But the Eljer I have now flushs real well. I've had
it for about 3 years, I recall using a plunger twice in those years, and
that's because I used a little too much TP and did not flush in between.
The only repair I did was replace the seat. One of those padded seats
that was cracking. But that's normal.

That was two years ago and zero problems.

Took an hour or so to put it in.

I threw the $2000 quote away at once and never got to read to see if
maybe it included the plumber coming out to wipe my ass.