Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Default Good brand gas range no electricity?

Anyone have any experience with gas ranges that don't require
electricity? I have electric range now but this is a rural area with
many power outages.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertM wrote:
Anyone have any experience with gas ranges that don't require
electricity? I have electric range now but this is a rural area with
many power outages.

Bob

Greetings,

If it doesn't require electricity either there is a pilot or you have
to light it with a match. The pilot costs a little something to run
24/7 but in the end the system is much cheaper than an electric stove.
I prefer a standing pilot to a match lit unit as matches are messy,
smelly, and aren't always around.

Hope this helps,
William

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Kearney

If it doesn't require electricity either there is a pilot or you have
to light it with a match. The pilot costs a little something to run
24/7 but in the end the system is much cheaper than an electric stove.
I prefer a standing pilot to a match lit unit as matches are messy,
smelly, and aren't always around.

Matches? Just use a barbeque wand lighter. It's just the snap of static
spark that's needed. No pilot or matches needed. $2 from a local linens
and things (for the one that has barely any butane in it anyway)

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Bill Kearney wrote:
If it doesn't require electricity either there is a pilot or you have
to light it with a match. The pilot costs a little something to run
24/7 but in the end the system is much cheaper than an electric stove.
I prefer a standing pilot to a match lit unit as matches are messy,
smelly, and aren't always around.

Matches? Just use a barbeque wand lighter. It's just the snap of static
spark that's needed. No pilot or matches needed. $2 from a local linens
and things (for the one that has barely any butane in it anyway)

What brand of range do you have? What is approximate price? The only
one I've found is at Lowe's. The top burners will work without power but
not the oven. I googled and found one, but it was almost $700.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

RobertM wrote:
Bill Kearney wrote:

If it doesn't require electricity either there is a pilot or you have
to light it with a match. The pilot costs a little something to run
24/7 but in the end the system is much cheaper than an electric stove.
I prefer a standing pilot to a match lit unit as matches are messy,
smelly, and aren't always around.

Matches? Just use a barbeque wand lighter. It's just the snap of static
spark that's needed. No pilot or matches needed. $2 from a local linens
and things (for the one that has barely any butane in it anyway)

What brand of range do you have? What is approximate price? The only
one I've found is at Lowe's. The top burners will work without power but
not the oven. I googled and found one, but it was almost $700.

I bought a top line Magic Chef in 1992 for $850 and have been cursing it
ever since. Plastic parts gather grease and are hard to clean, there
are many inside corners that are also hard to clean, the sealed burners
are hard to clean and the burners seem to require poking the holes with
a paper clip at least once a month, on rare occasions it will display an
FF04 code and require unplugging overnight to clear it but nobody at
Magic Chef can tell me what that means, the broiler hangs down from the
top of the over and steals a lot of space, and on....

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Stubby wrote:
RobertM wrote:
Bill Kearney wrote:

[...]

How does it display FF04 code with no power? Or does this one work both
with and without power?

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
MC

RobertM wrote:
Stubby wrote:

RobertM wrote:

Bill Kearney wrote:

[...]

If can find one that requires to be lit, no pilot, Then get one of those
grill battery operated igniters and mount on the stove somehow, no
matches no AC power required.

Of course the wand lighters work great, If can keep the wife from using
elsewhere for candles and mis placing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

We used to have one a long time ago that worked great. Did you ask at your
local propane dealers? Maybe you could find a really nice used one.

"RobertM" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience with gas ranges that don't require
electricity? I have electric range now but this is a rural area with
many power outages.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Don't know if you'd consider it, but it might be easier to find a used
older model in good condition. Are you up for that retro look? Check
with kitchen remodelers- you might get one free. Didn't realise they
were that hard to find these days, they must still be sold in off-grid
areas, no? We had major recent power outages in our area, some lasted
for days in freezing weather- one old house I know was lucky enough to
have an old pilot lit furnace- they still had heat, though no hot
water- water heater, of course, was more up to date and used electronic
ignition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

UPS will do the job and is nice to have around, can be moved around to
critical needs if the power is off. this was just the first site i
found

http://store.yahoo.com/batterysupply...=apc&ovtac=PPC

Posted to alt.home.repair

i blew that link heres a better one. note run time is under continious
use at full load. So a partial load with intermittent use can run for
many times its rated use

http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

MC wrote:
RobertM wrote:
Stubby wrote:

RobertM wrote:

Bill Kearney wrote:

[...]

I used an "empty" wand lighter, no one wants to borrow it from the
stove. Stove only need the spark.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

"RobertM" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience with gas ranges that don't require
electricity? I have electric range now but this is a rural area with
many power outages.

Bob

I've been checking all the thrift shops and used appliance dealers. So
far, nothing. A Canadian company makes a 20 inch stove, but I'm looking
for a 30 inch. Last time we had an ice storm the power was off for 10
days. Perhaps I should be looking under Camping Equipment. I have Empire
direct vent wall heaters for backup so at least I still have heat when
the heat pump goes off. I figure it would also be nice to be able to
cook meals instead of having cold sandwiches for 10 days.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Sev wrote:
Don't know if you'd consider it, but it might be easier to find a used
older model in good condition. Are you up for that retro look? Check
with kitchen remodelers- you might get one free. Didn't realise they
were that hard to find these days, they must still be sold in off-grid
areas, no? We had major recent power outages in our area, some lasted
for days in freezing weather- one old house I know was lucky enough to
have an old pilot lit furnace- they still had heat, though no hot
water- water heater, of course, was more up to date and used electronic
ignition.

Many people have suggested matches, lighters and so forth, but the
problem that I'm seeing is that without power, many ranges today have
interlocks that prevent the gas from being turned on. Lowe's told me
that you won't find any ranges on the market today where the gas to the
oven can be turned on without having power to the ignitor. And only some
of them will let the gas to the top burners turn on without power.
I think I'll have to restore and old one.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:10:35 -0600, RobertM
wrote:

Anyone have any experience with gas ranges that don't require
electricity? I have electric range now but this is a rural area with
many power outages.

Bob

Allmost every maker of ranges sells a base model that operates with a
standing pilot and uses no electricity.
Of course, these ranges won't have self cleaning, timer, clock or any
other features.

I use several in rental apartments in an older building where there is
no outlet near the range and I'm too lazy to install new outlets...
:-)

I've seen base ranges with standing pilots offered by Sears/Kenmore,
Whirlpool, Fridigaire, Maytag, etc, etc. Sears fairly recently also
had a "Capri" brand baseline range with standing pilots that was less
that $300. I've purchased three of those - they work fine.

Often these WON'T be in stock at the dealer but can be easily ordered.

Your web search must not have been complete since I've found at least
four different standing pilot models under $400.

You might also check out Premier-Peerless ranges.
They are one of the last independant range manufacturers and have some
intersting models.

http://www.premierrange.com/history.htm

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

"RobertM" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience with gas ranges that don't require electricity?
I have electric range now but this is a rural area with many power
outages.

Bob

Yes, I've seen Lehmans.com. Those Amish must have more money than I
have. I'll call Sears and ask about their budget models.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

wrote:

[...]

I think I understand. Salesman wants to sell what is in stock to get
commission today so he says that what I may want to order isn't
available. I'll try Sears. Google is not an exact science. Most of the
time search engines take you to the people who advertise with them, not
to the places that have the best information.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee & Cathi Thomas

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/prod...word=wtm2309cy
$399. At least you could search for this brand.

"RobertM" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience with gas ranges that don't require
electricity? I have electric range now but this is a rural area with
many power outages.

Bob

Yes, I've seen Lehmans.com. Those Amish must have more money than I have.
I'll call Sears and ask about their budget models.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Lee & Cathi Thomas wrote:
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/prod...word=wtm2309cy
$399. At least you could search for this brand.

Lehman's is $399 plus $150 freight, total $549. Sears is $299 plus $35
delivery, total $334. Lehman's is probably good but that freight charge
is a killer.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug

wrote:

[...]

Try the following URL to go to Sears website for their 30" Galaxy
range with standing pilots.
It's only $249.

It's apparently replaced their previous "Capri" model.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...00&tab=spe#tab

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

wrote:

[...]

It says Natural Gas only. Usually the spuds can be changed by the
installer so it'll run on propane. I phoned Sears and they said I'd have
to speak to a product specialist, then they hung up on me. I'll try a
different Sears.

Bob