Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug

Default Good brand gas range no electricity?

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:10:35 -0600, RobertM
wrote:

Anyone have any experience with gas ranges that don't require
electricity? I have electric range now but this is a rural area with
many power outages.

Bob

Allmost every maker of ranges sells a base model that operates with a
standing pilot and uses no electricity.
Of course, these ranges won't have self cleaning, timer, clock or any
other features.

I use several in rental apartments in an older building where there is
no outlet near the range and I'm too lazy to install new outlets...
:-)

I've seen base ranges with standing pilots offered by Sears/Kenmore,
Whirlpool, Fridigaire, Maytag, etc, etc. Sears fairly recently also
had a "Capri" brand baseline range with standing pilots that was less
that $300. I've purchased three of those - they work fine.

Often these WON'T be in stock at the dealer but can be easily ordered.

Your web search must not have been complete since I've found at least
four different standing pilot models under $400.

You might also check out Premier-Peerless ranges.
They are one of the last independant range manufacturers and have some
intersting models.

http://www.premierrange.com/history.htm

Doug