Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace metal-on-metal noise

Furnace has taken to "chirping" -- sound of two pieces of
metal rubbing against each other. Traced to one (?) of the
removable door panels (*probably* rubbing on the OTHER
door panel!).

As this panel covers the combustion area, flame is nearby.
Heat is to be expected!

My initial thought (when I thought it was the *blower*
area door) was to put some self-adhesive "felt" on one
of the offending surfaces (the "fuzzy" half of some velcro).
But, not too eager to try that with the presence of flame.

Any other suggestions?

I'll pull the blower out this weekend and check to see if it's
got a balance problem (bad bushing/bearing?) leading to any
possible increase in vibration (nothing obvious).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 3:24:08 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
Furnace has taken to "chirping" -- sound of two pieces of
metal rubbing against each other. Traced to one (?) of the
removable door panels (*probably* rubbing on the OTHER
door panel!).

As this panel covers the combustion area, flame is nearby.
Heat is to be expected!

My initial thought (when I thought it was the *blower*
area door) was to put some self-adhesive "felt" on one
of the offending surfaces (the "fuzzy" half of some velcro).
But, not too eager to try that with the presence of flame.

Any other suggestions?

I'll pull the blower out this weekend and check to see if it's
got a balance problem (bad bushing/bearing?) leading to any
possible increase in vibration (nothing obvious).

When sleeve bearings in a blower motor lose lubrication or the bearings start to fail, you will hear a chirping sound. You can some extra life out of the motor if you can get some lubricant into the bearings. I've drilled tiny holes into the sealed bearing housings in order to get oil in them. If you must replace the motor, spend some extra money, get a ball bearing motor and you'll never be troubled by it again. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Motor Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2016 4:24 PM, Don Y wrote:
Furnace has taken to "chirping" -- sound of two pieces of
metal rubbing against each other. Traced to one (?) of the
removable door panels (*probably* rubbing on the OTHER
door panel!).

As this panel covers the combustion area, flame is nearby.
Heat is to be expected!

My initial thought (when I thought it was the *blower*
area door) was to put some self-adhesive "felt" on one
of the offending surfaces (the "fuzzy" half of some velcro).
But, not too eager to try that with the presence of flame.

Any other suggestions?

I'll pull the blower out this weekend and check to see if it's
got a balance problem (bad bushing/bearing?) leading to any
possible increase in vibration (nothing obvious).

Most blower doors don't take much heat. The
fuzzy felt or some kidn of rubber should be
okay for a while. Until the glue dries and
the fuzzy falls off. But that won't be for a
while.

Checking the blower is a good idea. They do
get dirty and tend to vibrate.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/15/2016 5:55 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Not bearing/sleeve noise. Remove one door at a time and notice that
burner door removal causes noise to stop. Replace door and noise
returns (after a while). *Touch* (not "press"!) door in certain
places and noise again is silenced.

Door is rubbing on something.

Why it is rubbing now after 10+ years can only be because furnace is
VIBRATING more than it had in the past. Vibration suggests blower motor
(the only thing that moves and is massive enough) is no longer balanced.
This suggests a bushing/bearing is failing (blower itself can't magically
undergo changes in *mass*!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 09:48:27 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

[...]

Dirt buildup on the "squirrel cage" can put the blower out of
balance. Sometimes the dirt builds up evenly, then a chunk falls off -
particularly on furnaces run without a filter, or homes of smokers (or
both). Take the blower out and run it through the DIY carwash to
remove buildup. Don't knock the clip-on balance weights(if any) off) -
which happens when someone tries to scrape the crud off instead of
pressure washing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've had to remove all sorts of things from blowers and my brother had to crawl under a house to remove the plastic wrapper that came off a new filter because the lady of the house failed to turn off the thermostat before changing the filter. The plastic wrapper was sucked into the return air as she was getting ready to install the new filter into the return air grill. If it's been a very long time since you air handler blower has been removed and cleaned, you will have dirt buildup on the fins of the blower wheel despite having changed the filter on a regular basis. You can remove the squirrel cage from the motor shaft (scribe mark first), use a medium stiff brush to remove most of the dirt, taking care not to knock off the balance weight clips from the fins then put the blower wheel into the dishwasher to clean it and use the heat dry cycle to get it dry. Smear a little anti-seize compound on the motor shaft and setscrew before reinstalling the squirrel cage. Every few years, you should remove the blower and clean the whole thing including the housing plus vacuum any dust out of the cabinet. Do you have a straight AC or a heat pump? ^_^

Oh yea, I just remembered. Sometimes there are two setscrews in the blower wheel hub, one on top of the other to lock the first setscrew in and prevent the squirrel cage from coming loose on the motor shaft. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Blower Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace cleaning out the crud

On 1/16/2016 1:55 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

A friend of mine bought a trailer with heat pump.
The last owners (smokers) had run the air handler
without filter. I took out the blower wheel, which
required a board, and a lot of pounding. Set up the
HO with a bucket of pine cleaner and water and a
brush. When he finished, the water was pitch black,
and there was a couple inches of sludge in the bottom
of the bucket.

While he was doing this, I was using alkaline cleaner
to clean the nicotine out of the evaporator coil.
Did four or five washes, and a lot of rinsing.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I will look at it. I've silenced the noise (though pretty sure
I can "unsilence it", on demand) for now. Had hoped to get to it
this weekend but another friend kicked the bucket so that will
preempt...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I hope he was wearing his army boots.
But seriously, we are all getting to that age where we tend to loose
friends faster than we can make them. My condolences.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2016 2:14 PM, wrote:
Thanks, I will look at it. I've silenced the noise (though pretty sure
I can "unsilence it", on demand) for now. Had hoped to get to it
this weekend but another friend kicked the bucket so that will
preempt...

I hope he was wearing his army boots.
But seriously, we are all getting to that age where we tend to loose
friends faster than we can make them. My condolences.

shrug I use the term "friend" loosely -- in a colloquial sense.
I think, as you get older, "acquaintance" is a more common description
of relationships. How many of the "friends" that you have would you
call on to drive you to a dr's appointment? (and that's a pretty
low threshold!).

In this case, a woman that SWMBO "hung with" (fellow artist).
Unexpected loss though probably for the best, in her case.
She had reached the point where she could no longer live on
her own and was resenting having to move to someplace where
she could have nearby/paid help, when needed. Now, doesn't
have to face that issue!

Unexpected as we are currently waiting to be notified of two
other friends (of varying "closeness") in similar situations.

Frustrating when I see folks "retire" and "do nothing" with
their lives. (watch TV, go out to eat, etc. -- not my idea of
an EARNED REWARD after all of those years working!) You'd think
(?) they would notice their friends/acquaintances/colleagues
around them dying and get motivated to DOING something with their
"final" years!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 4:24:08 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
Furnace has taken to "chirping" -- sound of two pieces of
metal rubbing against each other. Traced to one (?) of the
removable door panels (*probably* rubbing on the OTHER
door panel!).

As this panel covers the combustion area, flame is nearby.
Heat is to be expected!

My initial thought (when I thought it was the *blower*
area door) was to put some self-adhesive "felt" on one
of the offending surfaces (the "fuzzy" half of some velcro).
But, not too eager to try that with the presence of flame.

Any other suggestions?

I would think some electrical tape or similar would work too.
With that on the edge of the metal door/cover, I wouldn't be
worried about fire. When the door is in place, no flame should
be anywhere near it and it's sandwiched between the metal of
the door and cabinet, not exposed, when it's installed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2016 10:14 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 4:24:08 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
Furnace has taken to "chirping" -- sound of two pieces of
metal rubbing against each other. Traced to one (?) of the
removable door panels (*probably* rubbing on the OTHER
door panel!).

I would think some electrical tape or similar would work too.
With that on the edge of the metal door/cover, I wouldn't be
worried about fire. When the door is in place, no flame should
be anywhere near it and it's sandwiched between the metal of
the door and cabinet, not exposed, when it's installed.

Like you say, the fire should be no where near
the door edge. I'd be happy to sticky felt, or
several layers of electic tape.

One time (80 percenter Miller furnace in my old
trailer) the furnace started to squeal badly in
the middle of the night. Blower motor bearings
dried out. I was able to get the blower out, and
put some oil in. That was memorable. Hint: Mark
the blower housing location with marker before
removing the bolts. So much easier to put back
together.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 9:14:55 AM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
I would think some electrical tape or similar would work too.
With that on the edge of the metal door/cover, I wouldn't be
worried about fire. When the door is in place, no flame should
be anywhere near it and it's sandwiched between the metal of
the door and cabinet, not exposed, when it's installed.

My choice would be the fuzzy side of self-adhesive backed Velcro.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 11:58:40 AM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 9:14:55 AM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
I would think some electrical tape or similar would work too.
With that on the edge of the metal door/cover, I wouldn't be
worried about fire. When the door is in place, no flame should
be anywhere near it and it's sandwiched between the metal of
the door and cabinet, not exposed, when it's installed.

My choice would be the fuzzy side of self-adhesive backed Velcro.

If this is just a minor noise, my advise would be to leave it alone until
warmer weather. If it ain't broke....

In the middle of winter, the last thing you want to do is break something that didn't need fixing M

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Uhh, this is not a sign is it?

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y posted for all of us...

Frustrating when I see folks "retire" and "do nothing" with
their lives. (watch TV, go out to eat, etc. -- not my idea of
an EARNED REWARD after all of those years working!) You'd think
(?) they would notice their friends/acquaintances/colleagues
around them dying and get motivated to DOING something with their
"final" years!

It's tougher than you think. If one ages well then yes good to go. If not
then it's bad, 15 minutes working to get out of bed, frequently. I am
disabled as a result of my firefighting days. Sort of like building steam up
in a boiler. Good and bad days. Even good days one must pay attention to
what you are doing lest you fall, or tweak something else in your body. Ask
Unc for other references. I had a lot a plans for what I was going to do
when retired. My motto is one can either rust out or wear out. I don't know
where I fit in this.

I don't like it when posters make fun of disabilities. But I realize they
don't have a broad point of view. One has to live a day at a time, tomorrow
you may not be here. Sobering.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 15:24:35 -0600, Don Y
wrote:

Furnace has taken to "chirping" -- sound of two pieces of
metal rubbing against each other. Traced to one (?) of the
removable door panels (*probably* rubbing on the OTHER
door panel!).

As this panel covers the combustion area, flame is nearby.
Heat is to be expected!

My initial thought (when I thought it was the *blower*
area door) was to put some self-adhesive "felt" on one
of the offending surfaces (the "fuzzy" half of some velcro).
But, not too eager to try that with the presence of flame.

Any other suggestions?

I'll pull the blower out this weekend and check to see if it's
got a balance problem (bad bushing/bearing?) leading to any
possible increase in vibration (nothing obvious).

Would a couple self sticking magnets do any good?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Furnace has taken to "chirping" -- sound of two pieces of
metal rubbing against each other. Traced to one (?) of the
removable door panels (*probably* rubbing on the OTHER
door panel!).

As this panel covers the combustion area, flame is nearby.
Heat is to be expected!

My initial thought (when I thought it was the *blower*
area door) was to put some self-adhesive "felt" on one
of the offending surfaces (the "fuzzy" half of some velcro).
But, not too eager to try that with the presence of flame.

Any other suggestions?

I'll pull the blower out this weekend and check to see if it's
got a balance problem (bad bushing/bearing?) leading to any
possible increase in vibration (nothing obvious).

Would a couple self sticking magnets do any good?

On steel ALL magnets are self sticking - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 8:09:59 PM UTC-6, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Would a couple self sticking magnets do any good?

œŒ.|€¢Í¡Ë˜€¿€¢Í¡Ë˜|.œŒ +1

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Would a couple self sticking magnets do any good?

On steel ALL magnets are self sticking - - -

Can't argue with that. My thought was it might be good
if they stayed put when the door was removed from the furnace.
A little advantage one way or the other might be a good thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Would a couple self sticking magnets do any good?

On steel ALL magnets are self sticking - - -

Can't argue with that. My thought was it might be good
if they stayed put when the door was removed from the furnace.
A little advantage one way or the other might be a good thing.

I'd just throw a hard drive magnet at it - or 2. One on each side of
the door, bridging the gap to the furnace body. But then again, I
have about 125 of them stuck to my furnace duct (just a good place to
store them)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 12:39:55 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:
Don Y posted for all of us...

[...]

Thanks for being a real hero because of your public service my friend. Like me, my brother and other friends of ours, damage has built up over the years from repeated injuries to our bodies. With me and my brother, it's our knees and shoulders. We're lucky because some of our friends also have fraked up backs. We don't have chronic back pain. Just back pain every now and then from overuse or sleeping the wrong way. We should appreciate the lovely DEA for protecting all of us in chronic pain from those evil analgesics. Every physician I've dealt with is paranoid about prescribing pain medication in amounts that will give me enough relief to function without making too much noise. Whenever someone notices how much noise I make when getting up or reaching for something, I explain that I'm practicing my Karate moves. The doctors worry that some DEA wonk behind a desk somewhere will decide that the doctor is prescribing too much pain medication and destroy their career. The DEA treats doctors and pharmacies as guilty until proven innocent. The DEA is practicing medicine without a license. The feds do this because they can find the doctors and pharmacists since it's too hard to find the dealers of illegal drugs and the agency must have something to show Congress that justifies their existence. It's just like the ATF going after licensed gun dealers because they didn't fill out a form properly or misspelled a word on one. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Disgusted Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Would a couple self sticking magnets do any good?
On steel ALL magnets are self sticking - - -

Can't argue with that. My thought was it might be good
if they stayed put when the door was removed from the furnace.
A little advantage one way or the other might be a good thing.

I'd just throw a hard drive magnet at it - or 2. One on each side of
the door, bridging the gap to the furnace body. But then again, I
have about 125 of them stuck to my furnace duct (just a good place to
store them)

I have some of the hard drive magnets stuck to the steel frame of the 6' long folding table where I have my computer systems setup back home. I put some of the magnets on the backside of the frame under the table and use them to hide keys. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Magnetic Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2016 10:58 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

My husband swears we're being harassed by DEA helicopters buzzing us as
all hours of the day and night, and I'm inclined to agree with him.
Ever since we built a greenhouse in our back yard weird things have been
happening like unmarked helicopters pausing over our house while filming
the back yard while my husband watches them do it. We have fish tanks
in our greenhouse for aquaponics, and we keep citrus trees in there to
over winter them. Oh, and in the summer we have a Japanese Chaste tree
that grows leaves that look like pot. It blooms pretty purple flowers
most of the summer. Before we put in the greenhouse we'd rarely get
'copter fly-by, but now it's every day!

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 11:38:23 -0600
Muggles wrote:

[...]

Yea, sure. You on xanax like your bud morgan?
jenn always trying to make yourself look big/important.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

[...]

No thanks needed, I have self satisfaction that I did good for others, like
you.

I agree 100% with your DEA assessment. Typical gov't. Tackle a problem from
the wrong end. It will ALWAYS be a problem.

--
Tekkie