Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace metal-on-metal noise

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 12:23:16 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 1/15/2016 1:47 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 09:48:27 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 1/15/2016 5:55 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 3:24:08 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
Furnace has taken to "chirping" -- sound of two pieces of metal rubbing
against each other. Traced to one (?) of the removable door panels
(*probably* rubbing on the OTHER door panel!).

As this panel covers the combustion area, flame is nearby. Heat is to be
expected!

My initial thought (when I thought it was the *blower* area door) was to
put some self-adhesive "felt" on one of the offending surfaces (the
"fuzzy" half of some velcro). But, not too eager to try that with the
presence of flame.

Any other suggestions?

I'll pull the blower out this weekend and check to see if it's got a
balance problem (bad bushing/bearing?) leading to any possible increase in
vibration (nothing obvious).

When sleeve bearings in a blower motor lose lubrication or the bearings
start to fail, you will hear a chirping sound. You can some extra life out
of the motor if you can get some lubricant into the bearings. I've drilled
tiny holes into the sealed bearing housings in order to get oil in them. If
you must replace the motor, spend some extra money, get a ball bearing motor
and you'll never be troubled by it again. ^_^

Not bearing/sleeve noise. Remove one door at a time and notice that
burner door removal causes noise to stop. Replace door and noise
returns (after a while). *Touch* (not "press"!) door in certain
places and noise again is silenced.

Door is rubbing on something.

Why it is rubbing now after 10+ years can only be because furnace is
VIBRATING more than it had in the past. Vibration suggests blower motor
(the only thing that moves and is massive enough) is no longer balanced.
This suggests a bushing/bearing is failing (blower itself can't magically
undergo changes in *mass*!)

Dirt buildup on the "squirrel cage" can put the blower out of
balance. Sometimes the dirt builds up evenly, then a chunk falls off -
particularly on furnaces run without a filter, or homes of smokers (or
both). Take the blower out and run it through the DIY carwash to
remove buildup. Don't knock the clip-on balance weights(if any) off) -
which happens when someone tries to scrape the crud off instead of
pressure washing.

Thanks, I will look at it. I've silenced the noise (though pretty sure
I can "unsilence it", on demand) for now. Had hoped to get to it
this weekend but another friend kicked the bucket so that will
preempt...

I hope he was wearing his army boots.
But seriously, we are all getting to that age where we tend to loose
friends faster than we can make them. My condolences.