Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace metal-on-metal noise

On 1/18/2016 10:14 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 4:24:08 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
Furnace has taken to "chirping" -- sound of two pieces of
metal rubbing against each other. Traced to one (?) of the
removable door panels (*probably* rubbing on the OTHER
door panel!).

I would think some electrical tape or similar would work too.
With that on the edge of the metal door/cover, I wouldn't be
worried about fire. When the door is in place, no flame should
be anywhere near it and it's sandwiched between the metal of
the door and cabinet, not exposed, when it's installed.

Like you say, the fire should be no where near
the door edge. I'd be happy to sticky felt, or
several layers of electic tape.

One time (80 percenter Miller furnace in my old
trailer) the furnace started to squeal badly in
the middle of the night. Blower motor bearings
dried out. I was able to get the blower out, and
put some oil in. That was memorable. Hint: Mark
the blower housing location with marker before
removing the bolts. So much easier to put back
together.

--
..
Christopher A. Young