Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advertised prices or not?

I often see full- or half=page ads for products, which once in a while look
interesting. But most such half-or full-page newspaper or magazine ads have
no price, not even a hint. My feeling is, if there's no price I probably
can't or don't want to afford it. Not worth going to web sites, make phone
calls, etc. How about you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2015 10:47 AM, KenK wrote:
I often see full- or half=page ads for products, which once in a while look
interesting. But most such half-or full-page newspaper or magazine ads have
no price, not even a hint. My feeling is, if there's no price I probably
can't or don't want to afford it. Not worth going to web sites, make phone
calls, etc. How about you?

The saying goes "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2015 11:47 AM, KenK wrote:
I often see full- or half=page ads for products, which once in a while look
interesting. But most such half-or full-page newspaper or magazine ads have
no price, not even a hint. My feeling is, if there's no price I probably
can't or don't want to afford it. Not worth going to web sites, make phone
calls, etc. How about you?

Depends on the product. Retail prices can vary so much that a
manufacturer can only give a suggested price. Some products can vary
wildly with options. Some ads with prices are sort of misleading too.
You can by this new Lamborghini for only $129 a month, but the fine
print says you need a $130,000 down payment.

If truly interested, I can Google the item and have a ball park price in
seconds. OTOH, most full page ads for a product are not worth my time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I often see full- or half=page ads for products, which once in a
while look interesting. But most such half-or full-page newspaper or
magazine ads have no price, not even a hint. My feeling is, if
there's no price I probably can't or don't want to afford it. Not
worth going to web sites, make phone calls, etc. How about you?

Kind of like the sites that don't give you the shipping prices until you've
entered all your data and CC#?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
I often see full- or half=page ads for products, which once in a while look
interesting. But most such half-or full-page newspaper or magazine ads
have
no price, not even a hint. My feeling is, if there's no price I probably
can't or don't want to afford it. Not worth going to web sites, make phone
calls, etc. How about you?

Many times they want you to call the 800 number to get a price. They
think that if you do call , you will buy from them. Often the ads are
placed by the campany that makes the item, but does not sell to the public,
so the dealer prices can vary all over the place.

If I see an ad I look at it and if it seems to meet the need or desire, I
google it and find the prices. Then decide if it is worth the money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/15 2:49 PM, Bob F wrote:
KenK wrote:
I often see full- or half=page ads for products, which once in a
while look interesting. But most such half-or full-page newspaper or
magazine ads have no price, not even a hint. My feeling is, if
there's no price I probably can't or don't want to afford it. Not
worth going to web sites, make phone calls, etc. How about you?

Kind of like the sites that don't give you the shipping prices until you've
entered all your data and CC#?

I don't buy from them. If I can't see the delivered price up front
(shipping, tax/no tax), I go on to the next seller.

--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I often see full- or half=page ads for products, which once in a while look
interesting. But most such half-or full-page newspaper or magazine ads have
no price, not even a hint. My feeling is, if there's no price I probably
can't or don't want to afford it. Not worth going to web sites, make phone
calls, etc. How about you?

I just buy if I need it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I think there is even an app. for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 3:09:05 PM UTC-6, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 12/19/15 2:49 PM, Bob F wrote:
KenK wrote:
I often see full- or half=page ads for products, which once in a
while look interesting. But most such half-or full-page newspaper or
magazine ads have no price, not even a hint. My feeling is, if
there's no price I probably can't or don't want to afford it. Not
worth going to web sites, make phone calls, etc. How about you?

Kind of like the sites that don't give you the shipping prices until you've
entered all your data and CC#?

I don't buy from them. If I can't see the delivered price up front
(shipping, tax/no tax), I go on to the next seller.
--
With all this €œgun control€ talk, I havent heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists€” just from law
abiding citizens€¦

It's the same reason government with frak with us citizens instead of illegal aliens. They know where to find our asses! ”Œ( ą²*_ą²*)”˜

[8~{} Uncle Hidden Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Dec 2015 16:47:42 GMT, KenK wrote:

I often see full- or half=page ads for products, which once in a while look
interesting. But most such half-or full-page newspaper or magazine ads have
no price, not even a hint. My feeling is, if there's no price I probably
can't or don't want to afford it. Not worth going to web sites, make phone
calls, etc. How about you?

You're right.

One time I really did need something, before the web, and I called two
or three places and one guy wouldn't give me a price, and I said,
calmly, "It must be expensive if you won't give me a price. " and he
gave me the price.

IIRC it was sort of high but certainly not outrageous. I forget the
rest of the story.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in :

KenK wrote:
I often see full- or half=page ads for products, which once in a
while look interesting. But most such half-or full-page newspaper or
magazine ads have no price, not even a hint. My feeling is, if
there's no price I probably can't or don't want to afford it. Not
worth going to web sites, make phone calls, etc. How about you?

Kind of like the sites that don't give you the shipping prices until
you've entered all your data and CC#?

Yep! Maybe we should look at that the same way as the no-price ads - the
shipping and handling charges will be horrific - don't finish the purchase!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Dec 2015 17:22:10 GMT, KenK wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in :

KenK wrote:
I often see full- or half=page ads for products, which once in a
while look interesting. But most such half-or full-page newspaper or
magazine ads have no price, not even a hint. My feeling is, if
there's no price I probably can't or don't want to afford it. Not
worth going to web sites, make phone calls, etc. How about you?

Kind of like the sites that don't give you the shipping prices until
you've entered all your data and CC#?

Yep! Maybe we should look at that the same way as the no-price ads - the
shipping and handling charges will be horrific - don't finish the purchase!

That's usually what I do. I would think they lose more business
than they gain this way. I'll pay normal shipping (it doesn't have
to be really low like some places are now) but I don't want to spend
time telling them all about myself, including cc$ until I know what
the shpping is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in :

KenK wrote:
[...]

I avoid all those scams by using Amazon. They are my go-to source for almost everything.

FWIW, the worst companies now are the phone/TV/Internet providers. They advertise a low-ball
price then jack up the final price with modem rental fees, set-top box rental fees,
DVR fees, HD Technology fees, digital outlet fees, CableCARD fees, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 7:03:25 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On 19 Dec 2015 16:47:42 GMT, KenK wrote:

I often see full- or half=page ads for products, which once in a while look
interesting. But most such half-or full-page newspaper or magazine ads have
no price, not even a hint. My feeling is, if there's no price I probably
can't or don't want to afford it. Not worth going to web sites, make phone
calls, etc. How about you?

You're right.

One time I really did need something, before the web, and I called two
or three places and one guy wouldn't give me a price, and I said,
calmly, "It must be expensive if you won't give me a price. " and he
gave me the price.

IIRC it was sort of high but certainly not outrageous. I forget the
rest of the story.

There is certainly something missing in your story. What did he expect
you to do without a price? I can't imagine that he expected you to place
an order.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in :

KenK wrote:

I avoid all those scams by using Amazon. They are my go-to source for
almost everything.

FWIW, the worst companies now are the phone/TV/Internet providers. They
advertise a low-ball
price then jack up the final price with modem rental fees, set-top box
rental fees,
DVR fees, HD Technology fees, digital outlet fees, CableCARD fees, etc.

There are a number of reports circulating these days about Amazon no
longer being the lowest-cost provider they used to be, especially if you
log on via a Mac.

But you're spot-on about the phone/TV/internet providers. One cute trick
Comcast pulls is negotiating a decent rate with you for 6-9-12 months or
whatever-- then after a couple of months, they jack your bill right back
up,

When you call to complain, they say well we see called us on that date
back then-- but we have no documentation of the conversation-- or the
confirmation number you're giving us does not show that rate for that
length of time.

After a half dozen repeats of that scenario, I've quit them and gone
with ATT. Sure hope they're better!!

--
Your taxes are high because you support lots of folks who can't be
bothered with working. They ever come by and say thanks, or can I mow

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 08:02:43 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

There is certainly something missing in your story. What did he expect
you to do without a price? I can't imagine that he expected you to place
an order.

I have not read this whole thread, but I have a policy. If stores dont
price items, I go elsewhere. Granted, sometimes a price label is missing
on a certain item, and I'll ask the price, but if I go to a flea market
or rummage sale, and nothing is priced, I dont stick around. Having to
ask the price for everything is just plain annoying.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have not read this whole thread, but I have a policy. If stores dont

price items, I go elsewhere. Granted, sometimes a price label is missing
on a certain item, and I'll ask the price, but if I go to a flea market
or rummage sale, and nothing is priced, I dont stick around. Having to
ask the price for everything is just plain annoying.

If an artical is not priced at the flea markets I just throw out what I
think is a low ball price. Sometimes they take it, sometimes they tell me I
am full of it and don't want to talk to me about it. If it is something I
think I would really like to have, then I ask what they are asking and then
offer them about 10 to 30 % less to see if they will take it.

A while back I asked a fellow that was packing up to leave what he wanted
for something that I would like to have but did not want it at the price he
stated. Told him that was way much more than I wanted to pay . He cut the
price in half.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2015 6:40 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 12/22/15 4:52 AM, Leisure Suit Larry wrote:

I avoid all those scams by using Amazon. They are my go-to source for
almost everything.

There are a number of reports circulating these days about Amazon no
longer being the lowest-cost provider they used to be, especially if you
log on via a Mac.

That may be, but they are reliable. My wife found a few item on Wayfair
and wanted to order them.. I checked on Amazon and found them for $30
less. Funny part is, it stated:Sold by Amazon, fulfilled by Wayfair"
Pays to shop around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 19:58:01 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

If an artical is not priced at the flea markets I just throw out what I
think is a low ball price. Sometimes they take it, sometimes they tell me I
am full of it and don't want to talk to me about it. If it is something I
think I would really like to have, then I ask what they are asking and then
offer them about 10 to 30 % less to see if they will take it.

A while back I asked a fellow that was packing up to leave what he wanted
for something that I would like to have but did not want it at the price he
stated. Told him that was way much more than I wanted to pay . He cut the
price in half.

I was at a rummage sale, the seller had a computer with flat screen
monitor for $50, and it was newer than the one I was using, plus had a
big 750gb hard drive. It was priced, but I did not have much cash on me.
I did ask for some details about it. I ended up buying some small item
for about $3 and started to walk away, when the seller said, "If you
want that computer, give me $25, and I'll even toss in a mouse, keyboard
and power cord, and if it dont work, you can return it". I could not
pass that up. It worked well and even had a working copy of XP installed
on it. THAT WAS EASY !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 20:20:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/22/2015 6:40 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 12/22/15 4:52 AM, Leisure Suit Larry wrote:

I avoid all those scams by using Amazon. They are my go-to source for
almost everything.

There are a number of reports circulating these days about Amazon no
longer being the lowest-cost provider they used to be, especially if you
log on via a Mac.

That may be, but they are reliable. My wife found a few item on Wayfair
and wanted to order them.. I checked on Amazon and found them for $30
less. Funny part is, it stated:Sold by Amazon, fulfilled by Wayfair"
Pays to shop around.

That's for sure. At a "surplus" store here, a friend saw a digital
camera for $50, probably reconditioned, but before he bought it, I
googled and I found the same recon camera for from 50 to 200 online,
while I found a new one for 100, something like that. Selling recon
for twice new!! Same model, same color, same "kit".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

He wanted me to come to the store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/15 12:19 AM, Micky wrote:
[...]

Better hope Santa brings you a new battery for your calculator;-)

--
If the government gives you a free college education you will have to be
fitted with a catalytic converter....true story, look it up!