Ken G.

Default Prices of CD`s

Reading the `copy` threads .... I know some people want to copy this
stuff to sell but many want a copy to use for themselves .
Then the fact the price is high on this stuff because people try to copy
it & sales fall .

The cost of CD`s is way to high for the average Joe . If they would
lower the price of all this stuff then everyone could afford to buy more
of it and make the copys not worth making .

Average CD price around here is 16$ ...way to much .

Triffid

Ken G. wrote:

Reading the `copy` threads .... I know some people want to copy this
stuff to sell but many want a copy to use for themselves .
Then the fact the price is high on this stuff because people try to copy
it & sales fall .

The cost of CD`s is way to high for the average Joe . If they would
lower the price of all this stuff then everyone could afford to buy more
of it and make the copys not worth making .

Average CD price around here is 16$ ...way to much .

I don't know where you live, but in Canada the government assumes we all
use blank digital media to make copies of copyrighted material, so they
charge us a 'levy' on all blank media and send the proceeds to the artists.

Canadians don't have to feel guilty about making copies, because we pay
for the right to make them when we buy our blank discs - in fact we
would be cheating ourselves if we used blanks to record original material.

I'm looking forward to the day this nonsense gets examined in a court of
law.

Bill Renfro

The high price of cd's is likely to cause people to copy it, the price is
not high because people are copying it. Think about it before any home cd
recorders came out cd's cost the same as they do now. It would be very hard
to blame all lost sales on illegal or legal copying.
The falling sales are more likely to be a combination of mediocre artists
with only marginal material and bad marketing. They all sound the same,
the material is just plain bad in most cases. So now I have produced a cd
with 10 tracks and only 1 is worth listening to. People are getting tired
of paying for stuff they do not like. The comming trend is downloading (for
a price) only the songs you like. This will hurt cd sales more than any
personal copying. I can download 10 songs I like for 9.99 compared to
16.00 for a cd full of junk just to get 1 or 2 songs. Eventually the big
record companies will change or die. The industry will see more independent
labels releasing artists only electronically, because they do not have to
pay for the cd production which is a major cost in the process. Downloaded
songs will come down in price. Probably to the .20 to .30 cent range. Easy
to see why cd sales are in trouble.

I am not advocating wholesale cd copying, but I can see why sales are
dropping, and it is not entirely related to piracy as the record companies
are crying.

"Triffid" wrote in message
.. .

Ken G. wrote:

[...]

Play4aBuck

Bill Renfro wrote in message ...
The industry will see more independent
labels releasing artists only electronically, because they do not have to
pay for the cd production which is a major cost in the process. Downloaded
songs will come down in price. Probably to the .20 to .30 cent range.

FYI, CD's don't cost that much to copy for retail sale.

Here is a website that shows the cost of CD's to be from $0.99 to $0.49
each, when ordered in bulk.
http://www.newenglandcd.com/packages/bulk-dupes.htm.

Cheers,
Jim

Bill Renfro

I deal with this kind of small duplication quite often. I am not talking
about cd duplication. I am talking about mass production. Glass masters,
manufactured cd's not cdr's, multimillion copy runs, etc. Even at the
prices you note a run of say 10 million cd's would be quite expensive.
Remember that once they are produced the record company (or some poor
distributor) is stuck with them if thay do not sell. So on a comercial
scale, $500,000 and up is not uncommon. My point was that the high cost of
cd's was not the cost of the material on them, nor is it piracy related even
though the record companies would have everyone think so. If they would
just produce marketable material and deliver it at a resonable price piracy
would not be an issue. They spend a lot of money on piracy and have no real
evidence that any copy caused a lost sale. Again I am not talking about
comercial bootlegers, just personal copying.
"Play4aBuck" wrote in message

Bill Renfro wrote in message ...
The industry will see more independent
labels releasing artists only electronically, because they do not have

pay for the cd production which is a major cost in the process.

Downloaded
songs will come down in price. Probably to the .20 to .30 cent range.

FYI, CD's don't cost that much to copy for retail sale.

Here is a website that shows the cost of CD's to be from $0.99 to $0.49
each, when ordered in bulk.
http://www.newenglandcd.com/packages/bulk-dupes.htm.

Cheers,
Jim

john

What has this thread got ot do with electronics repair ?
kip

Cherry Prices? klklimes Woodworking 11 December 30th 03 09:40 PM
Why wood prices are going up Grandpa Woodworking 136 September 26th 03 01:04 AM
Service Manuals , hundreds of 'em, for sale, w/lower prices Thomas P. Gootee Electronics Repair 0 September 11th 03 08:30 PM