klklimes

Default Cherry Prices?

I'm planning to make 2 or 3 bookcases. I would really like to make them out
of Cherry but the plans call for 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood (both sides
visible), 35 board feet of 4/4, and 1 sheet of 1/4 plywood (1 side visible).

So far I've seen prices of the 3/4" Cherry plywood at around $96 and 4/4
lumber running at around $4.50 per board foot. At these prices, it'll cost
me almost $400 apiece just for the wood! This is in east central Iowa. Most
of the stuff I've built lately has been out of oak. Have I just had my head
under a rock or is Cherry this expensive everywhere else too? Walnut plywood
is about the same price although the lumber is around $4.00/bf.

Kevin

Edwin Pawlowski

"klklimes" wrote in message

So far I've seen prices of the 3/4" Cherry plywood at around $96 and 4/4
lumber running at around $4.50 per board foot. At these prices, it'll cost
me almost $400 apiece just for the wood!

WW is not a cheap hobby. I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to.
You can buy bookcases for less than $100 that will hold books.

I paid over $300 for wood to make a Tudor style bench. I could buy a bench
that would hold my butt off the ground for less than $100. I later saw the
same bench in a retail store for $1000; then I felt better about what I did.

Just check the price of cherry ply at my local dealer. $96.60 a sheet here
in CT. 4/4 Cherry is $6.10. MDF is only $20 a sheet
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 03:05:32 GMT, "klklimes"
wrote:

I'm planning to make 2 or 3 bookcases. I would really like to make them out
of Cherry but the plans call for 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood (both sides
visible), 35 board feet of 4/4, and 1 sheet of 1/4 plywood (1 side visible).

So far I've seen prices of the 3/4" Cherry plywood at around $96 and 4/4
lumber running at around $4.50 per board foot. At these prices, it'll cost
me almost $400 apiece just for the wood! This is in east central Iowa. Most
of the stuff I've built lately has been out of oak. Have I just had my head
under a rock or is Cherry this expensive everywhere else too? Walnut plywood
is about the same price although the lumber is around $4.00/bf.

Those prices are comparable to CT.

Barry
BUB 209

I don't think they're using up all the
cherry pywood in Iraq. Hey! I just
thought of a corny joke: What's
Saddam Hussein thinking right now?
Answer: This time last year Iran Iraq.
Sorry.

Bob G

"klklimes" wrote in message
I'm planning to make 2 or 3 bookcases. I would really like to make them

out
of Cherry but the plans call for 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood (both sides
visible), 35 board feet of 4/4, and 1 sheet of 1/4 plywood (1 side

visible).

So far I've seen prices of the 3/4" Cherry plywood at around $96 and 4/4
lumber running at around $4.50 per board foot. At these prices, it'll cost
me almost $400 apiece just for the wood! This is in east central Iowa.

Most
of the stuff I've built lately has been out of oak. Have I just had my

head
under a rock or is Cherry this expensive everywhere else too? Walnut

plywood
is about the same price although the lumber is around $4.00/bf.

Kevin

===================================
I filled my lumber racks with lumber and even purchased a 12x16 foor shed
and filled that sucker with lumber BEFORE I retired...But now 5 years into
retirement I am darn near out of material... Those prices are pretty close
to what I will have to pay shortly...I cheated on an entertainment center I
build last year and used a lot of good plywood that I had to stain and used
walnut face frames etc... Honestly the agrivation with using stains was not
worth the money I saved... although It did come out just fine... BUT I can
see me with a shop full of equiptment and absolutely no lumber nor money to
purchase lumber in another 10-15 years... IT is a problem...

Bob Griffiths

RKON

I filled my lumber racks with lumber and even purchased a 12x16 foor shed
and filled that sucker with lumber BEFORE I retired...But now 5 years into
retirement I am darn near out of material...

I was planning on having woodworking as a hobby for when I retire in 20
years. Should I start a special investment plan for funding my wood supplies
at that time?

Rich

Phisherman

For some reason, cherry is in high demand. In a few years that will
probably change. It's like a race between oak, cherry, and maple.
All are very nice hardwoods. Strange that most people (even
woodworkers) can't identify specific wood. Finishes can change the
appearance too.

wrote:

I'm planning to make 2 or 3 bookcases. I would really like to make them out
of Cherry but the plans call for 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood (both sides
visible), 35 board feet of 4/4, and 1 sheet of 1/4 plywood (1 side visible).

So far I've seen prices of the 3/4" Cherry plywood at around $96 and 4/4
lumber running at around $4.50 per board foot. At these prices, it'll cost
me almost $400 apiece just for the wood! This is in east central Iowa. Most
of the stuff I've built lately has been out of oak. Have I just had my head
under a rock or is Cherry this expensive everywhere else too? Walnut plywood
is about the same price although the lumber is around $4.00/bf.

Kevin

Mike Alexander

Just before Christmas, I picked up a few 8'x4' sheets of 5/8" VC G2S
cherry plywood for CDN$60/sheet (~US$40) at Rona's (a Canadian version
of the BORG). They normally don't carry cherry ply at all, but they
brought in a special shipment. Hopefully the weather will clear up in
the next day or two so I can take my trailer over and pickup some more.

....Mike
HDHendrick

Here in Texas, I'm paying $97.22 for 3/4" A1 lumber core plywood, and $54.88
for 1/4".

Your 4/4 prices are lower than mine, however.

"klklimes" wrote in message
I'm planning to make 2 or 3 bookcases. I would really like to make them

out
of Cherry but the plans call for 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood (both sides
visible), 35 board feet of 4/4, and 1 sheet of 1/4 plywood (1 side

visible).

So far I've seen prices of the 3/4" Cherry plywood at around $96 and 4/4
lumber running at around $4.50 per board foot. At these prices, it'll cost
me almost $400 apiece just for the wood! This is in east central Iowa.

Most
of the stuff I've built lately has been out of oak. Have I just had my

head
under a rock or is Cherry this expensive everywhere else too? Walnut

plywood
is about the same price although the lumber is around $4.00/bf.

Kevin

Donnie Vazquez

Bob G wrote:

===================================
I filled my lumber racks with lumber and even purchased a 12x16 foor shed
and filled that sucker with lumber BEFORE I retired...But now 5 years into
retirement I am darn near out of material... Those prices are pretty close
to what I will have to pay shortly...I cheated on an entertainment center I
build last year and used a lot of good plywood that I had to stain and used
walnut face frames etc... Honestly the agrivation with using stains was not
worth the money I saved... although It did come out just fine... BUT I can
see me with a shop full of equiptment and absolutely no lumber nor money to
purchase lumber in another 10-15 years... IT is a problem...

Bob Griffiths

If I were you, I be slowly refilling the shed with cheap green lumber
now. Hopefully it'll be dried out by the time you run out of your other
stock.

--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

Mike Schwarz

I've got some air dried cherry in your area I would sell cheap. There is
about 200BF (rough estimate) of it and I'll take $250 for the lot. It was
cut in 1999 and
stickered in a barn up until last week, now it is on a hayrack and being
moved about the farm. 4/4 and 8/4 random length/width/grade. Cash only,
and you have to do all the loading yourself.

Located near Calamus.

E-mail me if you are interested.

Thanks,
Mike