Bill Renfro

Default Prices of CD`s

I deal with this kind of small duplication quite often. I am not talking
about cd duplication. I am talking about mass production. Glass masters,
manufactured cd's not cdr's, multimillion copy runs, etc. Even at the
prices you note a run of say 10 million cd's would be quite expensive.
Remember that once they are produced the record company (or some poor
distributor) is stuck with them if thay do not sell. So on a comercial
scale, $500,000 and up is not uncommon. My point was that the high cost of
cd's was not the cost of the material on them, nor is it piracy related even
though the record companies would have everyone think so. If they would
just produce marketable material and deliver it at a resonable price piracy
would not be an issue. They spend a lot of money on piracy and have no real
evidence that any copy caused a lost sale. Again I am not talking about
comercial bootlegers, just personal copying.
"Play4aBuck" wrote in message

Bill Renfro wrote in message ...
The industry will see more independent
labels releasing artists only electronically, because they do not have

pay for the cd production which is a major cost in the process.

Downloaded
songs will come down in price. Probably to the .20 to .30 cent range.

FYI, CD's don't cost that much to copy for retail sale.

Here is a website that shows the cost of CD's to be from $0.99 to $0.49
each, when ordered in bulk.
http://www.newenglandcd.com/packages/bulk-dupes.htm.

Cheers,
Jim