Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hard to remove a bathtub spout?

Is it hard to remove the spout on a bathtub, 36 years old.

How tightly would it be on?

Chrome-plated metal.

Corroded, I'd like to put in a new one, but I don't want to break off
the part that points down and then have the water shooting out
sideways.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 3:49:05 AM UTC-6, Micky wrote:
Is it hard to remove the spout on a bathtub, 36 years old.

How tightly would it be on?

Chrome-plated metal.

Corroded, I'd like to put in a new one, but I don't want to break off
the part that points down and then have the water shooting out
sideways.

I'd use a strap wrench which is less likely to break it. (€¢€¿€¢)

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-pc-ru...set-69373.html

I own much more expensive versions but the HF wrench is a good tool to learn with or use one time then toss it in a drawer. A strap wrench is a very useful tool and you may wind up using it in the kitchen to open jars with tight lids.ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Tight Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 4:49:05 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
Is it hard to remove the spout on a bathtub, 36 years old.

How tightly would it be on?

Chrome-plated metal.

Corroded, I'd like to put in a new one, but I don't want to break off
the part that points down and then have the water shooting out
sideways.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/info-tubspouts.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2015 04:48 AM, Micky wrote:
Is it hard to remove the spout on a bathtub, 36 years old.

How tightly would it be on?

Chrome-plated metal.

Corroded, I'd like to put in a new one, but I don't want to break off
the part that points down and then have the water shooting out
sideways.

If the spout has been on there for 36 years, you might wanna say a few prayers before you start cranking on that wrench.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Is it hard to remove the spout on a bathtub, 36 years old.
|
| How tightly would it be on?

Be very careful if you don't want to end up
opening the wall. It's not unusual that they get
frozen on. On the bright side, the metal is
generally soft. You should be able to cut away
part of the threads with a jigsaw using a metal
blade, in order to get it to turn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 03:10:11 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 4:49:05 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
Is it hard to remove the spout on a bathtub, 36 years old.

How tightly would it be on?

Chrome-plated metal.

Corroded, I'd like to put in a new one, but I don't want to break off
the part that points down and then have the water shooting out
sideways.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/info-tubspouts.html

Excellent link explaining the different types of spouts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 4:49:05 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
Is it hard to remove the spout on a bathtub, 36 years old.

How tightly would it be on?

Chrome-plated metal.

Corroded, I'd like to put in a new one, but I don't want to break off
the part that points down and then have the water shooting out
sideways.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/info-tubspouts.html

Excellent link explaining the different types of spouts.

+ 1 Just found some answers needed for a Kohler toilet seat anchors
and replacement using a Bemis seat. Bemis anchors will not work on my
one piece Kohler toilet.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/how-to-install-toilet-seats-on-1pc-toilets.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

picture[s] would help

i use imgur.com
[great because no registration to post a photo]

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 04:48:54 -0500, Micky
wrote:

Is it hard to remove the spout on a bathtub, 36 years old.

Yes, no, maybe, people don't know.

How tightly would it be on?

Enough so it doesn't leak.

Chrome-plated metal.

Okay.

Corroded, I'd like to put in a new one, but I don't want to break off
the part that points down and then have the water shooting out
sideways.

Good for you. Now. What kind of pipe are you dealing with? Did you
check for a set screw or use liquid wrench?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 09:26:38 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| Is it hard to remove the spout on a bathtub, 36 years old.
|
| How tightly would it be on?

Be very careful if you don't want to end up
opening the wall. It's not unusual that they get
frozen on. On the bright side, the metal is
generally soft. You should be able to cut away
part of the threads with a jigsaw using a metal

Assuming it won't unscrew, I can break away most of the spout, and
then I can apply an electric jig saw, with the blade perpendicular???
to the wall, parallel to the pipe??, just by holding it firmly?? with
noting to rest the base plate of the saw on?? I can do that?

blade, in order to get it to turn.

Also if you could email me your email address, I have a question to
ask about a previous thread that I can't find anymore. I'd appreciate
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 02:48:04 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 3:49:05 AM UTC-6, Micky wrote:
Is it hard to remove the spout on a bathtub, 36 years old.

How tightly would it be on?

Chrome-plated metal.

Corroded, I'd like to put in a new one, but I don't want to break off
the part that points down and then have the water shooting out
sideways.

I'd use a strap wrench which is less likely to break it. (•?•)

Good idea.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-pc-ru...set-69373.html

I think I have this very set, or at least another cheap pair. I
have another one with a metal handle and a woven-flat-rope-like strap
that so far hasn't worked for anything. I don't know where I got it
and I wouldn't call it much more expensive, but they must have had a
reason to make it like they dis.

I own much more expensive versions but the HF wrench is a good tool to learn with or use one time then toss it in a drawer. A strap wrench is a very useful tool and you may wind up using it in the kitchen to open jars with tight lids.?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Tight Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 4:49:05 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
Is it hard to remove the spout on a bathtub, 36 years old.

How tightly would it be on?

Chrome-plated metal.

Corroded, I'd like to put in a new one, but I don't want to break off
the part that points down and then have the water shooting out
sideways.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/info-tubspouts.html

Very good. Thank you. Wait a second. It's got a girl talking. So
I will have to check everything she says on www.plumbifact.org , to
see if she's telling the truth.

But if she is, I had no idea they made new, easy-install designs. I
have a spout I got at a rummage sale, which I figured I would need to
install before I sold the house. But maybe there is easier.

Wow, at the end, they had 14 more videos. But if I depended on
videos, I wouldn't spend as much time with youse guys.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is it hard to remove the spout on a bathtub, 36 years old.

Yes, no, maybe, people don't know.

How tightly would it be on?

Enough so it doesn't leak.

Yes, on the surface these were stupid questions, but they got me some
good answers.

Chrome-plated metal.

Okay.

Corroded, I'd like to put in a new one, but I don't want to break off
the part that points down and then have the water shooting out
sideways.

Good for you. Now. What kind of pipe are you dealing with? Did you
check for a set screw or use liquid wrench?

Copper. No set screw. No liquid wrench yet, because i haven't
started. LW is a good idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 4:49:05 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
Is it hard to remove the spout on a bathtub, 36 years old.

How tightly would it be on?

Chrome-plated metal.

Corroded, I'd like to put in a new one, but I don't want to break off
the part that points down and then have the water shooting out
sideways.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/info-tubspouts.html

And it says "Step 2: Apply approximately 4-6 wraps of PTFE thread
sealing tape" Either that's girly stuff or it's good advice. But I
never thought one could use more than 2 or 3 layers. Very
interesting.

BTW, I think normally a spout would last a couple hundred years, but
in order to keep the bath water warm, I have to add a little hot water
most of the time. I don't know yet if the water cools off or I just
get used to the temp and have to have it hotter.

And the water falling into the bath water makes so much noise it's
hard to hear the radio or tv, so I take a sock and a rubber band and
run the sock down to the water level, so the water makes barely a
sound as it enters. I've been doing this for 20+ years and the first
sock lasted 20+ years. Would have lasted longer, but the washer on
the cold water valve got bad and the sock stayed wet for a few days,
and then the sock rotted. And that also hurried the rotting of the
spout, which was getting pitted on the outside, but afaik hadn't lost
much strength until recently.

I replaced the washers (and the stems) and added a new sock, but this
time I used one of those socks they give you in the hospital, with
rubber treads, so you won't fall down.

Since I don't have polished floors here, I find them useless for any
purpose, so I used one on the faucet. All but one or two times, it
always dried completely within a couple hours of my bath but still
fell apart in 3 months. That's actually good. That means they
aren't wasting money making quality socks that most people throw away
after a day or two's use. (Or it's cotton and the other was partly
synthetic.)

What's interesting is that I can turn the volume up so that I can hear
it well with the water running and no sock, but when the tub is full
and and I turn the water off or mosly off, the radio, which wasn't too
loud before, is now uncomfortably loud, and I have to get out of the
tub to turn the volume down. (With the TV, I have a volume control
on the wall next to the tub, but the current tv no longer works well
with the wall mounted speakers, a woofer and a tweeter I took from a
1930's record player, and have been using in two consecutive bathrooms
over the last 40 years. Another small tv doesn't even have an
earphone jack but I'm sure I have one that does, or I'll put one in,
and I'll change tv's soon.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Assuming it won't unscrew, I can break away most of the spout, and
| then I can apply an electric jig saw, with the blade perpendicular???
| to the wall, parallel to the pipe??, just by holding it firmly?? with
| noting to rest the base plate of the saw on?? I can do that?

I've done it before. I had to do that recently with
a tub drain, actually. It was brass, so it was easy
to cut. Once it's partly cut through (without cutting
the copper threads) it should turn.
But as long as you don't damage the pipe by twisting
you can also solder on a new end, if you need to.

| Also if you could email me your email address, I have a question to
| ask about a previous thread that I can't find anymore. I'd appreciate
| it.

Just remove the NONONO?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 22:09:09 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| Assuming it won't unscrew, I can break away most of the spout, and
| then I can apply an electric jig saw, with the blade perpendicular???
| to the wall, parallel to the pipe??, just by holding it firmly?? with
| noting to rest the base plate of the saw on?? I can do that?

I've done it before. I had to do that recently with

Okay. If you've done it!

a tub drain, actually. It was brass, so it was easy
to cut. Once it's partly cut through (without cutting
the copper threads) it should turn.
But as long as you don't damage the pipe by twisting
you can also solder on a new end, if you need to.

Good point.

| Also if you could email me your email address, I have a question to
| ask about a previous thread that I can't find anymore. I'd appreciate
| it.

Just remove the NONONO?

Right. Sorry. I forgot that was in there.

misc07 at bigfoot dot com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 21:45:22 -0500, Micky
wrote:

And it says "Step 2: Apply approximately 4-6 wraps of PTFE thread
sealing tape" Either that's girly stuff or it's good advice. But I

Just wear a BRA when you do it, in case it's "girly stuff". That way
you'll be safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gustav posted for all of us...

On 12/17/2015 04:48 AM, Micky wrote:
Is it hard to remove the spout on a bathtub, 36 years old.

How tightly would it be on?

Chrome-plated metal.

Corroded, I'd like to put in a new one, but I don't want to break off
the part that points down and then have the water shooting out
sideways.

If the spout has been on there for 36 years, you might wanna say a few prayers before you start cranking on that wrench.

+1 Thar she blows!

--
Tekkie