Posted to alt.home.repair

Default can't remove tub spout

I'm trying to replace my old tub spout, but can't get the darned thing off. There's no set screw, so I assume it's the screw-on type. I applied quite a bit of torque with a big wrench, but the thing would not budge, though I could feel the whole pipe assembly moving. In case it makes a difference, there's no diverter on the tub spout, the diverter is a button just below the shower knob on the shower knob assembly.

I read in a previous post about applying heat, though I'm a bit nervous about using a propane torch, or possibly cutting the spout off - though I'm not sure how I could do that without ruining the pipe sticking out of the wall (is that that what's called the nipple?), which I'd like to preserve in order to put the replacement onto.

This all in a big plastic tub/shower surround.

What are my best options to resolve this problem short of calling a plumber?

Thanks.

-J
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 11:25*am, J wrote:
[...]

Larger wrench and hope whatever is in the wall can take the force
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 12:25*pm, J wrote:
I'm trying to replace my old tub spout, but can't get the darned thing off.

If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

The likely worst case is you'll spin the pipe out of the wall where
you can work on the spout with a couple pipe wrenches.

Use plumbers putty on the threads at re/install. A lifetime supply is
less than $2.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 09:25:16 -0700 (PDT), J wrote:

[...]

You might try tightening the spout just a tad and then loosen it. This
may break it free (don't get heavy-handed with it) Sounds like it is
stuck with mineral deposits. Perhaps pull on the spout as you loosen
it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

J wrote:
[...]

Cut most of it off and CLR it.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

J wrote:
[...]

Don't use force, get a bigger wrench.

Jeff G

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:01:16 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

J wrote:
[...]

Might have to. Can't imagine a tub spout not yielding to a 14"
Whatever, the OP would be best off if he opens the wall on the other
side so he can get a bite on the valve assembly.
Hope he's got the water turned off before the faucet.

--
Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

J wrote in
:

[...]

Along with other replies, gander at this:

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Pr...spout/View-All
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 20, 2012 12:25:16 PM UTC-4, J wrote:
[...]

I'd take a sawsall to the spout and see if I could remove some of the spout behind where it screws on to the pipe coming out of the wall. That would let you get a look at it. And possibly soak it down with wd40 or other chemicals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:58:09 PM UTC-4, jamesgang wrote:
[...]

I just found out that my tub spout is design without a pipe to go into it. IT has some type of fountain thingy attach to it. so I'm screwed unless I can find a tub spout that was used the in the mid 70's that did not need a pipe to be inside the actual tub spout
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default can't remove tub spout from 2012

On 11/8/13 9:11 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/8/2013 6:39 PM, Red Green wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote in
:

On 11/8/2013 10:41 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:58:09 PM UTC-4, jamesgang wrote:
On Friday, July 20, 2012 12:25:16 PM UTC-4, J wrote:

Been a year and a half. Did that penetrating
oil work in, yet?

Doesn't that religion of yours teach patience Stormy?

For certain! See, it's been a year and a half, and I'm just getting
around to replying.

That's pretty quick for a dead guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2013 10:39 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Been a year and a half. Did that penetrating
oil work in, yet?

Doesn't that religion of yours teach patience Stormy?

For certain! See, it's been a year and a half, and I'm just getting
around to replying.

That's pretty quick for a dead guy.

So true. You should see me vote in Chicago.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 20, 2012 at 9:25:16 AM UTC-7, J wrote:
[...]

Most of the advice given online regarding this miserable situation is horrible!!! Is there not an expert who knows how these poorly designed spouts are manufactured and designed for installation AND removal????? Because of the lack of credible information, I am going to cut the copper pipe, then solder a threaded fitting back in place on the copper pipe so the end result is being able to screw the new fixture back into place tight against the wall for easy removal in the future! This is crazy!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Have you tried tightening the spout a bit - just enough to pop the threads loose
so they can then be unscrewed. Sometimes that will help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 7:40:56 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
wrote:
[...]

He remodeled the bathroom 3 years ago and had a new tub/shower installed. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tub Monster