Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default can't remove tub spout

On Jul 20, 9:25*am, J wrote:
I'm trying to replace my old tub spout, but can't get the darned thing off. *There's no set screw, so I assume it's the screw-on type. *I applied quite a bit of torque with a big wrench, but the thing would not budge, though I could feel the whole pipe assembly moving. * In case it makes a difference, there's no diverter on the tub spout, the diverter is a button just below the shower knob on the shower knob assembly.

I read in a previous post about applying heat, though I'm a bit nervous about using a propane torch, or possibly cutting the spout off - though I'm not sure how I could do that without ruining the pipe sticking out of the wall (is that that what's called the nipple?), which I'd like to preserve in order to put the replacement onto.

This all in a big plastic tub/shower surround.

What are my best options to resolve this problem short of calling a plumber?

Thanks.

-J

Photo?