Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tub spout replacement

I want to replace the original Moen bathtub spout (with diverter; age=
13 yrs) and got the identical Moen replacement now. The model is
called Monticello if that helps any and it's a slip on type. I
noticed inside the new one, there is a small rubber gasket that I
presume makes the seal around the pipe when the spout slips on it.
I've got some paper instructions as well on line instructions but
wonder will it do any harm to lubricate the pipe that extends out from
the wall so the new gasket will slip on easier or will this make the
new seal possibly leak? Yeah I know I can just follow the
instructions but I'm thinking in case the new one is hard to slip on,
if this will work before I find out the hard way? I've seen a video
how to do this job but is there any gotchas I should be aware of?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message
I want to replace the original Moen bathtub spout (with diverter; age=
13 yrs) and got the identical Moen replacement now. The model is
called Monticello if that helps any and it's a slip on type. I
noticed inside the new one, there is a small rubber gasket that I
presume makes the seal around the pipe when the spout slips on it.
I've got some paper instructions as well on line instructions but
wonder will it do any harm to lubricate the pipe that extends out from
the wall so the new gasket will slip on easier or will this make the
new seal possibly leak? Yeah I know I can just follow the
instructions but I'm thinking in case the new one is hard to slip on,
if this will work before I find out the hard way? I've seen a video
how to do this job but is there any gotchas I should be aware of?

My opinion... If it were meant to be lubed it would say it in the
instructions!

Faucet spout twfsa Home Repair 7 November 16th 09 02:50 AM
Leaking Tub spout. localsoleindahouse Home Repair 1 August 18th 06 12:58 PM
Replacement kitchen faucet spout Jim Home Repair 2 May 24th 05 12:27 AM
Pipe to put tub spout on is too big zjw Home Repair 3 November 26th 03 02:27 AM
Installing New Tub Spout andy Home Repair 4 October 19th 03 09:57 PM