Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bathtub spout diverter.........need a temp fix

Girlfriend is gonna remodel her 2nd bathroom this spring. Meantime her

son has started using it for showers. Meantime when you pull the
diverter
thingy up, half the water still goes out the spout and down the drain.
That's
a lot of hot water being wasted, eh ? I know the spout unscrews from
the
pipe inside the wall for easy replacement. But I don't want to risk
causing a
leak inside the wall. Since the tub is used ONLY for showers, I'm
thinking
just plug it shut until she has the bathroom remodelled. So is there a
good
way to do this ?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stu Stu is offline

It depends what type you have as you said you pull the diverter. Is the
diverter part of the spout or separate? Also that your connection for
the spout is inside the wall. It sounds like your diverter is the
problem and if easy to get to should not be a problem to change. If the
connection for the spout is actually buried in the wall I wouldn't
bother disturbing it if you are due for a refit soon. Don't forget
depending on your water system you will probably have to turn off the
water on the hot feed. I have seen an old style combi boiler that had
been fitted without the means to turn off the hot water outlet and the
owner had to switch off the cold inlet and drain it first. If still in
doubt do nothing or get a plumber.

Stu
http://www.cateringappliancesltd.co.uk

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stu Stu is offline

A wine bottle cork in the mouth of the spout and some Duck tape to hold
it in ought to do the trick.

Jeff

Top idea Jeff and def best idea if it getting ripped out soon.

Stu

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:20:48 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

[...]

Oh, like THAT's not likely to cause a leak.

Unscrew the spout, and screw a cap on
the stub-out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:

[...]

Methinks you're being too judgemental, sir.

He already SAID he was scared to start unscrewing the spout himself, and
a little weepage from an imperfectly fitting cork would be tolerable.

There's hardly full line pressure there to pop it out unless someone
were to throttle down the shower head unreasonably.

He's only seeking a quick fix for a few months.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote in
:

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:20:48 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

Girlfriend is gonna remodel her 2nd bathroom this spring. Meantime her

son has started using it for showers. Meantime when you pull the
diverter
thingy up, half the water still goes out the spout and down the drain.
That's
a lot of hot water being wasted, eh ? I know the spout unscrews from
the
pipe inside the wall for easy replacement.

Actually,some screw onto the stub sticking out from the pipe in the
wall,some fit over a copper stub and are held on by a collet and setscrew.
It all depends on how old your house is.

But I don't want to risk
causing a
leak inside the wall. Since the tub is used ONLY for showers, I'm
thinking
just plug it shut until she has the bathroom remodelled. So is there a
good
way to do this ?

thanks

A wine bottle cork in the mouth of the spout and some Duck tape to hold
it in ought to do the trick.

Oh, like THAT's not likely to cause a leak.

Unscrew the spout, and screw a cap on
the stub-out.

You can buy replacement tub spouts at Lowes that fit onto the stub sticking
out from where the old spout used to be. Mine cost me $12 USD. It works
great.It had various adapters to fit different sized pipes.

It may take some searching to find the right one on the shelves.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
et...
Goedjn wrote:

[...]

It seems to me that there might be a significant spray from a leak around
the diverter shaft, especially if it is old and corroded. But it wouldn't
hurt to give it a try and the whole business could possibly be taped up
well.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:54:13 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Goedjn wrote:

[...]

The problem is that the way some cheap tub-spouts are
designed, this may create a pressurized pocket in a place
where there isn't supposed to be any, in the plastic
spout, but outside the stubout. If I did that
on my tub, the water leak would blow right past the
foam-rubber gasket where the spout buts up against the
wall, and flood the wall cavity. If if it doesn',
you need to find a way to keep your cork in place
against a 6 foot water column.

OP should just get over his phobia and take the
spout off. IF he's gonna demo the whole bathroom
in a few months, he needs the practice anyway.